PDA

View Full Version : kohler low voltage...Help please

Robmk2
08-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Hi Gang....
I'm up in Hot Springs on vacation with the family. It being summer of course its pretty hot on the road. Especially since my Front AC (new!)keeps tripping out (just like the old one did) and also since the dash unit is in process of being fixed (i.e. its broke right now) - it gets a bit on the warm side when driving.
Today, on the road I noticed the voltage coming from my 12.5KW genny is down at about 100v, maybe a hair less, which is probably why the 20a breaker keeps on tripping right.......(VxI=W)
Any way to adjust this voltage to what it should be????

P.S. Thanks Randy for the air bag part number....and yes boys, it's been one of those days!

Thanks in advance as always....

fxdwg
08-06-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that's a affected by the regulator, which should be adjustable. Take a look in your manual to see what it tells you. It should be a simple screw to turn. One way increases voltage and the other way decreases it. I think I'd want all the load OFF for the initial adjustment to get it close and then tweak it with some load. It may just need replacing, if it's not adjustable. But low voltage will certainly cause the A/C's to drop out AND it's VERY unhealthy for the compressors and fan motors.

Dieselbird01
08-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi Rob,

John is right - you should have an adjustment pot on the voltage regulator which is inside the rear of the generator. Before you start adjusting I think you should check your slip rings and brushes for signs of wear or arcing. Usually there's a reason for an adjustment to change.

Here is a link to the adjustment procedure (you should just need the running adjustment step #8). http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1096&stc=1&d=1231814871

Be real careful under there - Not such an easy job because you have the risk of being under the bus, being behind the generator slide, getting shocked, and getting burned or asphyxiated by the exhaust from the generator running. The time I worked on my 84 ½ generator I blocked the generator slide with wood so it couldn’t close and I put a flex pipe on the generator exhaust to route the exhaust away while I was under there working with the generator running. Caution the flex pipe got hot in a hurry!

tulipvendor50
08-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Hey guys:

Before you start messsing with your voltage regulator, you have to make sure the engine is turning the right speed. In our case 1800RPM. Even a slight deviation from that will make your voltage low or high.

If you turn up the regulator then find the speed is wrong, you will be doing a lot of extra work for nothing.

Randy Dupree
08-06-2009, 08:11 AM
good thought Bill.
a plugged fuel filter or air filter would cause the engine to slow down.

rwoody
08-06-2009, 08:05 PM
speed was my first thought!

rpm might get the voltage up with 61-62 cycles which is not near as bad as low voltage!

Robmk2
08-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi guys...
Thanks for the ideas so far.... Finally got home after a really sweaty trip down I59 back to Houston. Started looking at the genny for the low voltage cause. Genny is showing about 58 Hertz, 108v without load which drops to 103v with two ac's running.
My first problem..... I could not locate the voltage regulater pot - or the regulator for that matter. looked behind the rear genny cover....nope. Looked in the box thing on top (with the switches on it)....nope.
Second problem....how the heck do you speed up the genny a little... I am new to little diesels so I'm not sure which screw (presumably on the DPA thingy) to tweak to up the rpms a bit. Anyone have a copy of the manual?
As always your help is much appreciated.
Cheers!

bwinter1946
08-15-2009, 09:03 PM
First let me say I have no experience with your or for that matter my gennie. I did work a little on my Onan gas gennie that my SOB had.

From my experience I would be very hesitant to adjust anything first. I would first look at anything that would make the engine run slower such as air and fuel filters. If you adjust then resolve the engine speed issue it will be out of adjustment again.

On my SOB gennie it just needed a tune up. (Plugs and points but that won't help now.)

Maybe someone with more knowledge will perk up.

Randy Dupree
08-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Brad,you are correct.
air filter and fuel filters first.

iamflagman
08-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi guys...
Thanks for the ideas so far.... Finally got home after a really sweaty trip down I59 back to Houston. Started looking at the genny for the low voltage cause. Genny is showing about 58 Hertz, 108v without load which drops to 103v with two ac's running.
My first problem..... I could not locate the voltage regulater pot - or the regulator for that matter. looked behind the rear genny cover....nope. Looked in the box thing on top (with the switches on it)....nope.
Second problem....how the heck do you speed up the genny a little... I am new to little diesels so I'm not sure which screw (presumably on the DPA thingy) to tweak to up the rpms a bit. Anyone have a copy of the manual?
As always your help is much appreciated.
Cheers!

I'm pretty sure I have this correct, I had to adjust the Hertz after I got my injector pump back from the re-builder and I was told how to do it over the phone, so after you have made sure that there is nothing else that is affecting the speed of the genset as a last resort you can adjust the Hertz setting, you will have to use a multimeter that has a Hertz meter and it will have to be plugged into an electrical outlet on your 'Bird with the main power switch set to generator, I used an extension cord for this so that I would have the meter right next to the Perkins so that I could watch as I adjusted.

The adjustment screw, unless it has been adjusted before, will be under a sealed safety wired cover to prevent tampering with it, as seen in this picture, as is indicated in the photo, the injector pump's speed setting should be set to 60 Hertz.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2622&stc=1&d=1250387431

As is noted in the picture, if you have the injector pump rebuilt, it is important that you notify the re-builder that the pump will be used on a generator, as the sensitivity adjustment is located on the inside of the pump itself and has to be set specifically for use on a generator.

Robmk2
08-22-2009, 08:04 PM
OK it's fixed....
Checked the hertz and all OK at 60 HZ so the genny engine is doing it's job, but still only 104V under load. Finally located the voltage regulator - took a while as its not like what I was looking for, and I also discovered that it is not adjustable.
The Regulator is a gentron T17R TF1 - Kohler part #233833 - this is not readily available, and the replacement kit for it is P/N 228675 which they want $300.00 for!!!!
Fortunately the description it said that this kit also replaces part number 287978 so I searched on line for this and I lucked out at $100 on ebay for a NOS unit.
It's 100% identical to the original. So, changed it out and wham...120V right off the bat.
Hope this helps someone else......I attach a pic of the regulator location.