PDA

View Full Version : Girard Awning - problem retracting

Dennis
12-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Periotically when retracting the Girard awning it stops; it will go out fine, but upon retracting it will move a short distance and then stop not necessarity in the same spot. The way I have dealt with this problem was to have the remote control in one hand and my other hand gently applying pressure on the front edge of the awning gently pushing it in and it retracts just fine. I assumed the awning arms were binding and probably needed lube. However, my mechanic called Girard and they told him they are aware of the problem and it has to do with the ACL Box - unfortunately he never asked what ACL stood for and I have a call into them to find out. What they told him was the problem is that the ACL box senses if there are too many amps and if so shuts off the motor. They told him they thought the ACL box was a good idea but found out later it was not and they stopped wiring the awnings that way. They told him to disconnect the ACL box and make some other adjustments however they said they believe the ACL box is located behind the TV which means several hours of $100/hour mechanics (pardon me, technician) time. If I do not take care of this problem I just have to remember not to leave the awning out when I am away from the Coach because it may or may not automatically retract in a wind. So my question to the group is: does anyone know where the ACL box is located - Girard was only guessing when they said behind the TV?

Thanks,

Dennis

Dan & Cindy
12-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Dennis, I've got the same problem and was also told the current limiter was the problem. Download the manual from the Girard website. It shows there are two enclosures, one contains the power supply & controls. The other the current limiter circuit. Both are attached to the ceiling behind the TV monitor in our M380's.

Pulling out the monitor doesn't take very long or much effort but it does take two people! Snap off the trim panel below the TV, disconnect the wiring noting where it is connected, remove the two small locking fasteners from the TV retainer brackets, pull the lower portion of the retainer brackets down (about 3/4") to unlock the TV mounting posts from the brackets, us all four hands to grasp the TV on both sides at top and bottom edges and pull evenly outward until the mounting posts clear holes in retainer bracket.

I was told to jump across the CL to verify it was the problem. It was not. At that point I decided to reverse the wiring in the power supply control circuit box to see if was a motor problem. It was not. I put everything back to the original confirguration and magically everything worked including the excess wind speed auto retract function. However, the retract function stopped working after a couple of short trips for football games. It started retracting again during the last trip. I believe the root cause of the problem is a loose connection somewhere in the power supply control circuit box.

I haven't taken the time to pull the monitor to recheck the connections. It could be a component on the circuit board which will be more difficult, not to mention expensive, to fix. I plan to relocate these two enclosures from their current location into the more accessible area behind the voltmeter/ampmeter panel above the entry door.

Good Luck!

lnchaffin
12-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Dennis,

Yep, awning controller is definitely behind Plasma TV. TV can be removed by one person, have done it several times but is easier if you have help. Then there is a cover you have to remove then you will see awning controller. There is a white control box and motor leads come out of it and go through what is called a "Current Limiting Device" which is another little white box. Turn the potentiometer in the CLD counterclockwise to allow the motor to not shut off as easily.

To remove TV:
1. Remove cover under the TV by just pulling it straight down.
2. Detache all cables from the TV.
3. Unscrew and remove the 2 lock nuts on the 2 holding clamps.
NOW BE CAREFUL TO HOLD THE TV WITH ONE HAND OR IT MIGHT FALL OUT!
4. Pull the 2 holding clamps straight down and the TV is free to come out.

Dennis
12-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks Dan and Cindy and Lloyd. If I understand Dan and Cindy's post they have not corrected the problem; Lloyd did you correct yours? If I undertand my mechanic's message correctly Girard told him to by pass the ACL e.g. disconnect it. Lloyd is that what you did?

Dennis

lnchaffin
12-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Dennis,

I just adjusted my current pot till mine would go in without stopping and has worked fine since. I wonder if you have a bind somewhere? Only other thing I can think of is there are limit switches inside the motor that can be adjusted. They tell the awning motor when to stop going out and coming in. Maybe if the "IN" limit switch was bouncing or going bad it would think the awning was in all the way and stop motor. I now how to adjust those switches but now how to get to them to replace it.

Dennis
12-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks Lloyd. My awning sure does act like it is a bind elsewise why would it work fine with a little pressure against the face and of course it does work by it self most of the time. My guess is the switches are availabe from Girrard here in Southern California. Excuse my ignorance, but when you say you adjusted your current "pot", what is a "pot?"

Dennis

Dennis
12-16-2009, 11:47 PM
I am going to post a reply to my own thread since it might help someone. I have not fixed the awning problem yet. It goes out okay, but as written in this thread it stops short of retracting. I found however, that if I use the mechanical crank and give it a few turns I can then retract the awning the rest of the way electrically. This makes me think that it might not be the ACL but is binding mechanically somewhere, but I do not know.

Dennis

lnchaffin
12-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Dennis,

Your last post says the awning stops short of retracting all the way. How much short? A few inches? Does it stop in the same place each time?

Dennis
12-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi Lloyd,

It doesn't stop in the same place each time. It seems more to stop after a few inches (only on retractions - no problem on extension). If I extend the awning half way and try to retract it, it will stop after a few inches. If I extend it all the way it will stop after a few inches on the retraction. Sometimes it will retract all the way when I put a little pressure against the face of the awning like I was pushing it closed.

lnchaffin
12-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Sure sounds like you need to try and adjust the over current potentiometer. behind the TV.

Dennis
12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks Lloyd, I didn't know it was adjustable. I will look into it.

What are your thoughts on my other post regarding the aux bat switch?

Dennis

Dennis
06-01-2010, 11:36 PM
To complete this thread. My awning finally would not retract more than an inch so this past weekend I removed the t.v. and gave the Current Limiting Device (CDL) a quarter turn counter clockwise and it did the trick; the awning is working fine. For anyone reading this who has not done this, the CLD has to be opened up and the adjustment screw is real small, you will have to closely to find it.

Thanks again to all of you for this valuable advice. Another project checked off (at least for now.)

Dennis

Dennis
06-18-2010, 12:17 AM
A few weeks ago I took the TV down and adjusted the CL by giving it about an 8th of a turn counter clockwise. Then I ran the awning in and out a good 6 times and it worked like a champ. Today for the first time since I adjusted the CL and my sucessful test, I ran the awning out and it would not retract. I plan on calling Girard tomorrow to get their thoughts, but wonder if you think I should either turn the CL counter clockwise again, perhaps a half a turn, or disconnect it altogether as it was suggested in this thread?

Thanks,

Dennis

Dan & Cindy
06-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Dennis, I've been fighting the same problem. I'm leaning towards a combination problem. I think there may be some mechanical binding that is intermittant, or maybe poor electrical contact in the controller or current limiter. Mine seems to open under electrical power and I can occassionally close it under power. More often than not it won't close under power. However, it looks like the auto close function for high winds seems to work all the time. Check that auto close function by spinning up the anemometer.

Dennis
06-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Dan,

I called Girard today and the tech said that it is possible to correct the problem by adjusting the potentiometer (sp) (the adjustable part of the CL), but he said that it is difficult to make the right adjustment for both shore power and house battery power; sort of a hit and miss. He suggested I purchase a remove and replace part for the CL with their current model which automatically makes the right adjustments; this is a much improved model over the one we have. It cost $165 give or take $2 or $3 dollars I don't remember the exact quote. I will be ordering it as soon as I get back from this trip. For that kind of money I don't need the hit or miss with taking down the TV etc. The man I talked to a Girard was very familar with the problem and when I told him it worked great after I adjusted the CL he was not surprised, but I tested it on Coach power not shore power.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Dennis

Dan & Cindy
06-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Please let me know how it works. $165 sounds like a bargain compared to replacing the complete unit. Last time it wouldn't close for me happened when a major thunderstorm woke me up in the middle of the night. I figured the wind was gonna pickup and I still don't complete trust the auto close function so I dashed outside and closed it manually. I was soaked before I finally got it cranked in.
Dan

Dennis and Joan
06-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Sorry for butting in on the 380 unique thread, but I also have a Girard awning on our lx40. The last time I tried to bring it in, nothing. I have decided to not use it again, ever. The flimsy action it has in even a minor breeze has me thinking this is a poor design for an awning. I would much rather have the "arms" to let out to stabalize the awning versus the sail that I currently have. I now have a portable pop up that we use instead of the ### Girard. Also, for Girard to charge $165 +/- for a circuit design defect tells alot. They should have customer service send the unit for free since the owner has to install in the field. Since everyone (it seems) has Girard awning problems, we should all call. Do you have the phone number/person talked to for us?

Dennis
06-20-2010, 03:27 PM
I did not ask the name of ther person I talked to, but he answered the phone when I called. Their number is 800-382-8442 or 949-259-4000. He basically implied that the new part is an upgrade. The old one had to be adjusted by hand, but the new one is automatic. He also replied to my discription of the problem that it sounds like the CL is bad.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Dennis

Dennis and Joan
06-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Just talked to Rickie x4040 at the 800 number above and here is what he sez. I described the will go out, but not in issue and he sez adjust the out limit switch. Asking why I need to do this, he sez the awning stretches and minor adjustments are required. I also went to www.girardrv.com (http://www.girardrv.com) and downloaded the G2000 manual that details the procedure. I will try this tonight and will post my results. What model awnings are on the M380?

Dennis
06-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks Dennis, I do not know what model Girard is on the M380, perhaps one of the other members do; I will check the manuals I have. In any case please do let us know how you made out.

I did try retracting it yesterday on house battery power instead of shore power to see if that made a difference - since the person I talked to at Girard seem to imply that it might - and no luck, it would not retract more than a inch or so.

Dennis

Dennis
07-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Yesterday I installed the new automatic current limiter from Girard and a new windmill so far all is working great. Paid about $168 for the current limiter and they discounted the new windmill (the new one comes with replaceable blades) to $100. I'll let you know if they don't continue to work the way they are suppose to, but it all looks good now.

Dennis

Dan & Cindy
07-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Good news. Let me know if it continues to perform and I'll order one.

Dennis
08-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Dan,

So far so good. The new CL is doing what it is suppose to do.

Dennis

Dan & Cindy
08-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I was just thinking about contacting you. A couple of weeks ago, during our last outing to Conyers, GA the wind sensor mounting bracket failed. I suppose that I must have clipped a low hanging limb somewhere that cracked the bracket. I'll order the CL and wind sensor next week. Dan

Dennis
08-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Dan, you can ask for Ricky and tell him to give you a good price for purchasing both. They actually sent me a wind sensor that did not have the cap to keep the propeller tight to the shaft. I called them and they sent me an entire new unit without cost and did not even want me to send the old new one back. Anyway, good luck. It is nice not having to crank the awning in anymore!!

Dennis

Dan & Cindy
09-09-2010, 08:54 PM
I contacted Girard about three weeks ago explaining the awning had never reliably retracted according to the PO or in my year of ownership. I bought a wind sensor for a $100 and they comp'd the new CL (must have caught them in a weak moment).

I pulled the TV, changed the CL and successfully tested its retract function multiple times from various locations. Put it all back together and tested one final time..... NO POWER RETRACT!

I talked to one of the techs at Girard today. He told me that the cause could be voltage fluctuation. After I explained testing was done when connected to shore power he told me that I didn't need the CL and that I should remove it and connect the in/out wires together. After than I am to adjust the extend and retract limit switches until I get to a firm retraction followed by automatic motor shut down. He said the CL was installed to avoid having to periodically adjust the limit switches as the awning fabric stretches.

I'm not too satisfied with this patch. I don't know if there are any retract current adjustments on the new CL but I think that will be the first thing I try. Might even reinstall the old CL and try cranking up its pot to see if I can make any improvements.

Dennis
09-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Dan, I am sorry you are having this problem. The good news is that they did not charge you for both the wind sensor and the new CL; they charged me for both, but gave me a discount off list. The CL they sent me is suppose to automatically adjust for current vs. the old one that had a manual adjustment. So far mine is working fine on house batteries and shore power. Are you certain you connected the wires correctly when installing? You might also ask them to send you a new CL; perhaps the one they sent is flawed. The first wind sensor they sent me was incomplete; the windmill spun around the shaft without turning the shaft. When I called they sent me a very small nut for the end of the shaft which did nothing but keep the free wheeling windmill from falling off the shaft. I called again and they admitted the one they sent was no good and sent me another brand new wind sensor which does work. Apparently they put a small plastic tube on the shaft then heat shrink it so that it grips the shaft. Let us know how you solve this problem so we can all benefit from you solution. Good luck.

Dennis

Dan & Cindy
09-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Today was the day I took out the TV again to access the Girard Awning controller and current limiter. Call me stubborn but I just didn't want to pull the current limiter and hardwire the controller to the awning as was suggested during my last conversation with one of the Girard techs.

Trouble shooting proved the awning was still extending but not retracting. Curious to see if the receiver was processing the wireless retract signal, I pulled the cover off the controller. The LED and clicking relay confirmed extend, stop and retract signals were being received. Started double checking all wiring connections by wiggling and tugging and guess what, the awing started retracting on its own. I found that the ground wire in the controller was loose. Tightened it and checked all the others. Testing there after was always successful. No need to remove the current limiter and rely on the mechanical limit switches.

fxdwg
09-23-2010, 12:16 AM
It's good to find those stupid annoying problems and fix stuff like it should be fixed, isn't it! Good job!

mynavion
09-23-2010, 06:10 AM
I was just thinking about contacting you. A couple of weeks ago, during our last outing to Conyers, GA the wind sensor mounting bracket failed. I suppose that I must have clipped a low hanging limb somewhere that cracked the bracket. I'll order the CL and wind sensor next week. Dan

Conyers, GA! You were just about 10 miles from me. :D

Dennis
09-23-2010, 11:40 PM
I thought it might be a misconnected or loose wire. Glad your got the problem solved; that always feels good.