View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
My Kubota / Powertech is shutting down due to high temperatures, I talked to Powertech this after noon and by my description they believe it is a sticking thermostat. I use my Laser thermometer gun to check temperatures with and the temperature at the thermostat housing is 230 when it shuts down, I can let it sit and when it cools down to 210 it will start and run again, but I can hold the temp gun ON and pointed at the housing and watch it climb right back up to 230 and shut down. Here are some things that I have checked;

The radiator fan is turning at full speed
The temperatures of the radiator hoses are 180 and 190 at the same time the thermostat housing is 230
The belt is tight
The water pump appears to be running, but after it cools down over night I will open up the petcock on top of the thermostat housing and start the engine to see if there is coolant flowing out of the petcock at a higher rate.

I called my buddy who has worked on all of my generators for years he is shop foreman for AP Electric and Industrial generator shop here in this area, he gave me a parts source in Rock Hill, SC and of course they are closed for the holidays. I have a few Kubota part numbers for the thermostat, that supersede the lower numbered one with the last part number being 15321-73015. Does anybody have different part number for NAPA or CAR QUEST that might help me get one this weekend.

If I can't get a thermostat I'm thinking of just gutting the old thermostat so that it will restrict coolant flow and run the generator that way until I can get a thermostat, any other ideas?

Kubota / Powertech compartment drawer and door closed, the ambient temperature is 104 degrees, running all three airconditioner and battery charger for 2 hours so far.

Laser temperatures at;

Kubota thermostat housing inlet side 198 degrees.

Kubota thermostat housing outlet next to high temperature shutoff switch 209 degrees.

Kubota water pump housing 207 degrees

Radiator inlet 187

Radiator outlet 153

I plan on running the generator all day to make sure it is OK this way. My plan is to leave here Monday morning and travel to Ohio, stopping at the Kubota parts distributor south of Charlotte, NC to see if they have a new thermostat and I'll also pick up a spare water pump and the related gaskets and hoses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GUTTED THERMOSTATm.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	17192  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11