Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 08-04-2013
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Inner dual used to get hotter- closer to the drum, not cooled by passing air like the outer dual. Hotter rim + hotter tire = larger tire, more circumference. Seemed like it was a good idea to let pressures equalize while rolling down the road. That, coupled with the fact that it was nearly impossible to "religiously" check tire pressures made it an easy choice for me. I've spent more on mediocre lunches.

I agree completely with Shane on these points as they are exactly why I use the Crossfire system.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!!
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-04-2013

You could always just drop some serious money and go to super singles

For me, crossfires are on my "to do" list.

Old 08-04-2013
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
You could always just drop some serious money and go to super singles

For me, crossfires are on my "to do" list.

Derek Long did just that to his FC back in 2009.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members > New in West Virginia Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlodge View Post
I bought the coach in IL from the 2nd owner, The coach has always been garage kept. She has 132k miles and 1100 hours on the genset. The last owner did lots of good things for the age of the coach, new rod and main bearings, new belts and hoses, rebuild alt., new fan clutch, new tires, brakes. She is really rock solid, I drove her home 800 miles with no problems. I have removed the carpet ( was in good shape just looked dated) and replacing with Hardwood. The Redi-line had been removed so I am installing a 2kw true sine inverter charger and getting rid of the old chargers. I am also adding a king dome and a new flat screen tv. I am removing the tires and installing 315's on the front and 455/55R22.5 Super Single Tires on the rear and fully servicing the coach. Hope to have her ready for the first trip to the Martinsville VA Nascar race in late October.

Derek V. Long
West Virginia
1985 35FCRB

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!!
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-04-2013

I really appreciate any feedback I get from you guys, but I have to admit that I totally respect Shane's advice. If I end up having an issue with the crossfires, I will default to the valve stem extensions and Stephen's monitoring system.

Thanks again everyone for helping me address yet another item on the on the punch list
Old 08-04-2013
full timer

I've been running with Crossfires' set at 105 psi since I purchased them at RIV 04'. The only problem that I have had with them has been occasional slow air leaks at the hose/Schrader valve junction. At one of the Q rallies Shane and I found flex line stabilizers that keeps the pressure off the Schrader valves when your wheels are spinning. The stablizer is a rubber plug that pushes into a hole on your wheels and secures the flex line as it passes through the outer wheel. Since I have installed those stabilizers I have not had any air leaks.
Old 08-04-2013

I have the round plastic plug stabilizers like Eric described and the extensions like Mike has with no issues. Coach came that way. Simple, easy and cheap.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 08-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Derek Long did just that to his FC back in 2009.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members > New in West Virginia Reply to Thread
Anyone have any experiences with super singles ? My tire guy at Costco said he can order them and they come in mounted on a rim I can't recall the price but right around the same a replacing two. They can't install them but they can get em you take them to have them installed.
Hows the performance ?
Old 08-29-2013
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Anyone have any experiences with super singles ? My tire guy at Costco said he can order them and they come in mounted on a rim I can't recall the price but right around the same a replacing two. They can't install them but they can get em you take them to have them installed.
Hows the performance ?
My understanding is they don't make the stud pilot wheels anymore,for the supers...
Bainbridge,Ga.
www.buybyebluebird.com
www.pbase.com/rdupree1
randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-30-2013

With dual tires you can limp (drive slowly) to a safe spot to replace the tire, sometimes even to a nearby tire shop saving you a $100+ roadside repair call. You can also choose from lots of tire manufacturers, often at the same retailer.

With super singles you immobile wherever a tire fails, most truck tire shops carry very limited inventory, and they are not at all cheap.

The advantage of super singles is a small increase in fuel economy, a couple percentage points at most. They make sense for large over the road truck fleets, but I can see no advantage and many disadvantages for motor home use. That is probably why you don't see super singles being used by tour and passenger bus services.
Old 08-30-2013

You could try putting dual tires on the front of your bus; GM made it work once

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Futureliner.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	24521  

Last edited by Labrador; 08-30-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Insert picture