Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > PARTS OR OTHER ITEMS FOR FREE

PARTS OR OTHER ITEMS FOR FREE If you have any parts or other items to give away for FREE or maybe just for the packing and shipping costs, list them here.

Site Search:

Old 12-15-2016

Default Kohler 12.5kw generator head

I have spent the last couple of weeks changing out the Kohler generator head to a brushless Central Georgia Generator head. I now have the Kohler head available to whoever may want all or part. I pulled the Kohler because the stator shorted to ground so I'm not sure if the stator is good. The brushes, brush block, and slip rings were replaced in 2009 and look good. The generator can be picked up in Yuma or we could drag it to Quartzsite if that would be better.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 1 Week Ago

How did this swap work for you? I have a 12.5 Perkins/Kohler that is not producing power at the moment. I think it is the voltage regulator, and it is roughly $500 just for reg. With that being said it is only a guess the reg is bad. Want to be able to boondock at times.

Jeff
82 FCSB
Old 1 Week Ago

I'd get it tested to be sure. Move was the stator which led to a new brushless head. Not cheap!
VB 1570
Old 1 Week Ago

Default Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyKWilson View Post
How did this swap work for you? I have a 12.5 Perkins/Kohler that is not producing power at the moment. I think it is the voltage regulator, and it is roughly $500 just for reg. With that being said it is only a guess the reg is bad. Want to be able to boondock at times.

Jeff
82 FCSB
I have a new old stock regulator will sell for $200.00 including shipping. I paid $250.00 and found that my head was bad. Have new Central Georgia brushless. Works great.
2003 Jeep Rubicon
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks for the replies. I think at this point I might just consider replacing the head unit. I figure the time it takes me to have someone test it, labor, driving, and parts to fix, I could just invest into a new one and put it in myself. Y'all are awesome.
Old 1 Week Ago

Default Generator head

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I think at this point I might just consider replacing the head unit. I figure the time it takes me to have someone test it, labor, driving, and parts to fix, I could just invest into a new one and put it in myself. Y'all are awesome.
Did mine myself changed all the hoses had radiator rebuilt and now has about 150 or so hours on it. Good luck.
2003 Jeep Rubicon
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:

Jeff
82 FCSB
The swap was very straight forward, not hard at all except wrestling the drawer out to get room to work on it. It's been working great for over a year now and we spend most of our time without hookups. We have solar so only run it every few days to get hot water.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 1 Week Ago
Gardner

After spending a fortune on the old Kohler head in my previous FC I finally put on a Central Georgia Generator head on the Perkins. The Kohlers are old and age and the usage statistics (not hours but long down times, short run times, moisture collection) make the head questionable at best. If you fix it, it will let you down again for sure.

The PO of my current coach had a similar experience. Spent a fortune on the Kohler and it failed again. He had a Marathon head installed.

The first time I spent $2100 getting the Kohler fixed including the regulator (actually two regulators as it blew the first one right away. Then the intermittent internal short was found and fixed. It lasted a couple of years and then blew the new regulator. I changed the regulator ($250 ) and it lasted 6 hours.
Ridgewood, New Jersey