Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Have you replaced the pressure switch??
I did, unfortunately I had the 70psi cut out and not the correct 30psi cutout. I've since ordered the correct one, so maybe the light will work correctly after I swap them.
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

*Views expressed here are not supported, endorsed, or even “liked” by any agency or individual.
*Medicated for your comfort. Comfort not guaranteed. Experiences may vary.
Old 1 Week Ago

Question on WB HCV links.
Is there a factory length? Since I replaced the HCVs the drive axle hasn't pumped up as much as before. So I got under and changed out the link between the Height Control Valve and axle adding 2 inches to the links.
The links that were on previously were 10.5" and 11.5"
I replaced them both with 12" links.

Are the Left and Right suppose to be the same length or should the street side be longer?
Is there a factory length for them? I'm thinking that they should be more like 14" maybe a bit more.
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

*Views expressed here are not supported, endorsed, or even “liked” by any agency or individual.
Old 1 Week Ago

Alrighty.
Found in one of the Ridewell manuals a ride height for the air springs of Steer 6.75" and Drive 8.06". However, I don't know what year the Ridewell manual is for. Does anyone with a 91-94 have a Ridewell manual with the air spring height listed?
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Old 6 Days Ago
John Wyatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Alrighty.
Found in one of the Ridewell manuals a ride height for the air springs of Steer 6.75" and Drive 8.06". However, I don't know what year the Ridewell manual is for. Does anyone with a 91-94 have a Ridewell manual with the air spring height listed?
I set mine as close as I can get them to a minimum of:
8.3" for the Drive
8.0" for the Steer

I bend pieces of flat aluminum to use as calipers rather than trying to get accurate plate to plate measurements with a tape measure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Spring.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	53354  
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4
Old 6 Days Ago

I like the caliper idea.
Thanks - I really thought the 6.75 drive seemed like a lot of nose down rake for an RV.
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Old 6 Days Ago
John Wyatt

Quote:
I like the caliper idea.
Thanks - I really thought the 6.75 drive seemed like a lot of nose down rake for an RV.

Keep in mind that the geometry of the frame and the geometry of the suspension also affect the rake so Steer 6.75" and Drive 8.06" could easily be correct for a different Bird chassis.

Follow proper safety procedures and be very careful under there!

Body Number F095567
Old 6 Days Ago

I went through my blue box and found some documents for the Ridewell. Yes, it is 6.75" on the steers, and 8.06" on the drive (Eaton axles are 8.3"). So since it is Sunday and I try not to be the neighborhood noise polluter I made a jig to check them. Just a PVC pipe with some 4" metal pins through at 0, and at the 6.75" and 8.06" positions. Should make the checking easier - adjusting will still be a PIA.
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Old 5 Days Ago
John Wyatt

Quote:
I went through my blue box and found some documents for the Ridewell. Yes, it is 6.75" on the steers, and 8.06" on the drive (Eaton axles are 8.3"). So since it is Sunday and I try not to be the neighborhood noise polluter I made a jig to check them. Just a PVC pipe with some 4" metal pins through at 0, and at the 6.75" and 8.06" positions. Should make the checking easier - adjusting will still be a PIA.
Documentation that came with my coach had those same measurements but 6.75" just doesn’t seem right for the front on my 91 WB.

My front air bags were set very close to 8" when I got the coach, the actual Ridewell specs for my front suspension list the design height as 8.03125”, a friend of mine had his set by Wanderlodge and his are set at 8.0", Lance Crowley and others have posted that their WB's are set at 8" - the list goes on… I could be wrong but I just don’t think 6.75” is right for a WB.

When deflated and sitting on the internal bumpers, my front air bags measure about 5” so if the ride height was set at 6.75”, the front of my coach would raise less than 2" when aired up.

Maybe 6.75” is right but everything I’ve found leads me to believe that 8” is correct for a WB like mine.
Body Number F095567
Old 5 Days Ago

After squeezing my bulk under the bus I discovered that the Drive was correct, the Steer was almost 10". So reinstalled the original HLV links on the drive axle valves and made a shorter front rod.

While I was under I found the master solenoid for the HWH was cracked (so there is the battery problem on the HWH) so I'm fixing that before I lower the coach and recheck the bag heights.
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Old 4 Days Ago

Smile

Got the HWH working again - long story short; add a ground strap - and tested the air bag heights. The steer is still a tiny bit high at 7", and the drives are at 8.2"ish. The bus looks level and the steer bags aren't showing their skirts (dunno the correct name for the plastic insert on the bottom that folds into the bag). I'm thinking that this may help the bouncing problems that I was having as well.

While I had the coach floating in the air I installed the 30PSI pressure switch - the suspension dump light now goes out.

I'll test drive in the next few days and will see if the pressure adjustment to the tag axle was needed now that the leveling valves are adjusted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Q0IVQYGC_400x400.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	53383  
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map