Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 06-04-2017

I agree with Mr. Putz. I would NOT have them come on with the retarder, and I would NOT have my brake lights come on with the retarder either.

My Peterbilt does not. No other trucks I have owned have.

You use the retarder to slow, gently slow, the bus. Anything faster, you then add brake to slow faster. There is no need for the brake light to come on when gradually slowing, or even just maintaining speed on a downhill.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 06-04-2017
John Wyatt

Before someone runs out and disables the “stop light” circuit for their retarder, I want to point out that the “stop light” voltage is also used to disengage the “Cruise Control “on coaches like Moses’.

So… if you decide to modify the retarder/stop light circuit on your coach or someone else’s, be sure you understand the changes you’re making or you could end up with a situation where the cruise control doesn't disengage and the engine tries to keep the coach at set cruise speed while the retarder is trying to slow the coach, etc.

That's one of the reasons why I suggested just adding an extra stop light pressure switch for Moses' brake controller.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4
Old 06-04-2017

[QUOTE=Dieselbird01;380942]If you decide to modify the retarder/stop light circuit on your coach or someone else’s, be sure you understand the changes you’re making or you could end up with a situation where the cruise control doesn't disengage and the engine tries to keep the coach at set cruise speed while the retarder is trying to slow the coach, etc.

That's a good point to make. If I go with that mod, I'd leave the relays and just pull the stop light wire off.
Old 06-04-2017

Default Electric trailer brake wiring

Okay, this is to summarize it somewhat.

There are two types of controllers - delay timed and proportional.

The delay timed controller - once the brakes are applied, the stop light will energize the contactor and after a period of time the brakes start getting applied set to the manual controller.

The proportional controller - once the brakes are applied, the stop light will energize the contactor but will only apply a certain amount of voltage according to the inertia received, the higher inertia the more braking power. This is the automatic controller.

I have used the proportional controller and used it with the retarder with great success.

Has been an interesting post.
Old 06-05-2017
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Before someone runs out and disables the “stop light” circuit for their retarder, I want to point out that the “stop light” voltage is also used to disengage the “Cruise Control “on coaches like Moses’.

So… if you decide to modify the retarder/stop light circuit on your coach or someone else’s, be sure you understand the changes you’re making or you could end up with a situation where the cruise control doesn't disengage and the engine tries to keep the coach at set cruise speed while the retarder is trying to slow the coach, etc.

That's one of the reasons why I suggested just adding an extra stop light pressure switch for Moses' brake controller.
That's a very good point about messing with the stop circuit. The cruise will shut down anytime the brake lights come on as that is the circuit it senses. So as long as you leave the pressure switch alone that your brake peddle controls you'll be fine.

BUT as John stated if you disconnect the retarder from the brake light (no affect on your brake peddle/pressure switch/brake light operation) it would mean if you had the cruise control on and you decided to hit the retarder alone then the cruise would not turn off with the retarder on. So although not a situation I'd do intentionally that is something to add to your decision equation.
'90 GL1500 Goldwing, '67 VW Rail, & '82 CJ5 Jeep
FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509

Old 07-16-2017

Follow up:

I added another brake pressure switch as John had (wisely) suggested. It will only be used to trigger the brake controller.

If I get fancy, I'll add a two-position switch that select between this switch and the brake lights. That way I can choose between retarder-activated trailer braking or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake_sw.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	50046