Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M450 (Unique Issues)

M450 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M450 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M450 Parts here too. NO DISCUSSION OF ANY OF THE M450 LAWSUITS ALLOWED HERE.

Site Search:

Old 09-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I said this once in one of your posts.
ALL of the M450s have had ALL recalls done,it was a law,they all had to be fixed?
They even paid for the new 365 wheels and tires.

I have had my 06 M 450 for 6 years now. I think it's the strongest and safest coach on the road. I have been doing some upgrades to keep her on the cutting edge of today's technology. Being an all electric coach, upgrades are easy (if you have the cash). To me this coach is still a $450k coach. Even though the market does not agree.

Jump in, the waters fine

BB

Bob & Noelle Buscher
The Dog House
2006 M450 LXi
Elkhorn, NE
Old 09-12-2017

The recalls on this coach were completed. I saw the generator in the side bay, plus the 365 wheels.
The peeling wallpaper can be fixed. I had a water leak in every coach that I have ever owned- 4 Birds and prevost
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 09-12-2017

Thanks everyone....sorry for the double post, as you can see I do a lot of lurking but not much posting. We'll see how it goes with the dealership, I'd love to have it but there are a few hurtles to jump before that happens.....one being my wife!!! LoL :-)
Old 09-12-2017
Just the Driver

Default 450

Left her see it and she will love it. Mine did and has never looked back

Bryan and Karen Altier
2006 M450 LXI
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
Greenville, SC
Altierb@bellsouth.net
Old 09-24-2017

Default experience with a '06 450 LXI 1.

Experience with a 2006 450 LXI with 90,000 miles

Our 2006 450 LXI (00358) was bought new in November 2007 with about 10,000 miles. We had a lot of warranty related problems and other sorting during the first two years. As the sorting process continued the problems changed and were addressed.

During our entire ownership, the coach has been a joy to drive and is great as a home away from home! It is definitely better today than when we bought it. In my opinion the 450 LXI is one of the finest and strongest coach’s available today --especially for the price!

In general the issues with our 450 LXI coach can be summarized this way:
1. Sorting out the electrical problems both 120 V AC and dc systems both 12 v and 24 v.
2. Understanding and fixing the heat related problems in the engine bay area, the generator area and the inverter area.
3. Locating and servicing all filters (fuel, oil and air) and other systems components that needed periodic attention.
4. Replacing system components that improve performance, had failed or were the cause of other troubles.

I have found both the 450 LXI e-mail group and the Wanderlodge Owners Group (WOG) ‘topic M 450 (unique issues)’extremely valuable for information and solving problems.
An expanded version of some of the problems and solutions follow.

Engine Bay
1. 1. Check on the positive leads (24v) to each alternator. If the cables are supported only by the insulator you may want to add additional support. Both of our alternators failed (burned up) due to the insulator breaking. May have been due to engine vibration and the cable weight.
2. 2. Check on the voltage to the clutch for the dash AC system compressor. Our compressor failed three times due to 24 v dc being fed to a 12 v dc clutch. We needed a different compressor that had a 24 v dc clutch.
3. 3. There is excessive heat in the engine bay on hot days / heavy loads and on cool down with no heat removal. Consider installing a smaller direct thru muffler, extra engine bay cooling fans (that can operate both when running and during cool down), and extra ventilation for the computers, regulators etc that are behind the bedroom closet wall. That area’s ventilation is very limited and gets hot.
4. 4. The radiator is supported by mounts that look like engine type mounts and can fail. When they do, the radiator can drop by over an inch and put heavy stress on the fan shroud and other connections. The Bendix air dryer is behind the radiator.
5. 5. The electrical socket for the tow car can easily corrode because of mild steel components. It needs to be replaced with non ferrous components.
6. 6. Engine bay door latching system needs periodic adjustment. Our latch failed and had to be replaced as well.
7. 7. Battery bay has a separate charger for the engine batteries. It is not necessary, the batteries are charged thru the invertors. There is a separate battery charger (in bay 1 roadside) for the generator battery which is needed and should be replaced as needed because the invertors do not charge the generator battery.
8. 8. There are a lot of engine electronics behind the back wall in the bedroom closet-voltage regulator, relays for 12v and 24v ignition systems, multiplex systems, etc I would check the voltages to the coils in all those relays and replace those that are incorrect. In our case 12v coils were fed with 24 v and they burned out shutting us down on an Interstate on our way to the ‘recall’. Any coach with 20K miles would probably have burned out most incorrect relays but not the ones that are fed with too low a voltage. We added extra cooling fans for that area as well after having three voltage regulators fail from excessive heat. I believe the existing cooling fan gets its power from the same circuit as the audio/video cooling fan in the A/V cabinet. So that fan switch has to be on for any cooling to occur for the engine electronics. Keep in mind that any engine system that fails might be due to 24 v fed to a 12 v circuit. That happened to us and the CAT tech said it could not happen but was very surprised when he found it had!.
9. 9. We chased antifreeze leaks for quite a while. They came from the engine cooling system as well as the Webasto heating system. They were often loose hose clamps or the equivalent.
"Dream Catcher"
Old 09-24-2017

Default experience with '06 450 LXI part 2

House and Chassis Systems
1. 1. Some systems that use 120 v ac get there power thru relays and multiplex control circuits located behind the curb side wall in the rear bedroom closet.(behind the dinette leaf). There are relays and connections that use solid wire for 120 v ac. OK for home use but not for mobile use. It should be stranded wire so that the connections do not loosen and create heat sources which can lead to burn out. All the roof top AC systems, the electric heaters, the 120 ac accessory air compressor, etc get power there and inspection has shown charring and relay burn out.
2. 2. The service air brakes come on when the brake peddle is pushed. It takes considerable travel of the peddle to engage the brakes. The valve stem that the brake peddle operates should be replaced. Ours needed to be 125 mils longer for the brakes to respond quickly when pressed. That increase is a country mile to a brake technician!
3. 3. We found air leaks in the brake system dump valves and had all dump valves replaced with automatic dump valves. Also had the two front air springs replaced because they were leaking.
4. 4. The accessory air system has two compressors, one 120 v ac and the other 12v dc. The acc air system is prone to corrosion and is difficult to service with some components buried behind foam insulation. We replaced a lot of the components and valves. This system supplies air for the toilet, horn, slide locks and entry door lock. I no longer use those compressors except when on board the coach.
5. 5. The bay door locks operate with a key or by the automatic system thru the security system or the dash switch. The auto system uses small motors and gearing which are to operate for 1 sec only on either open or close. The security system (Black Widow) has several modes at least one of which is for closing windows which has the motors run for 30 sec. If that mode inadvertently becomes active all the bay locking motors will burn out in the locked position because they can turn for only 1 sec before hitting their stops. We had that happen twice and now only use the key for the bay locks after having to remove all burned out motors so the locks would work manually.
6. 6. The Quadra jack stabilizers operate on 12 v dc and were fused at 120 amps by Bluebird. Quadra said that the 120 amp fuse should be replaced with a 120 amp auto resetting circuit breaker.(the system often uses a lot of 12 v power) They also said to check on the ‘up’ limit switches on the top of each jack to be sure no rocks or road debris might interfere with their operation.
7. 7. The big Vanner invertors generate a lot of heat and need adequate air cooling which is marginal on the 450 LXI. I do not recommend using the inverters to power the two roof top ACs when driving. Use the generator instead. Early on all three of our invertors had to be replaced. There is a significant battery drain when the invertors are on and not much is running. So for overnight parking and not plugged in, I turn off the two big invertors and leave the small one on for the refrigerator. If ‘no plug in power’ parking is to be a day or more, you may want to turn off the main manual battery switches in the battery bay.
8. 8. The Multiplex system is a collection of computer driven components with connections, grounds and touch pads. Any of these can fail or lose communications (red LED shows on unit) thru faulty connections. Some times rebooting the entire system will help in solving electronic or instrument problems. Rebooting is done by stopping all dc power via the manual battery switches for up to a minute.
9. 9. The fresh water tank developed a leak which was in the remains of the 2” drain valve that was eliminated during the ‘recall’. It appears the recall techs used red engine gasket compound to seal the valve. The fix leaked, water froze and cracked the valve body. It was fixed with plenty of PVC cement and a PVC cap.
10. 10. The fuel tanks are steel and have a capacity of 100 gals each. They are connected at the bottom between the two tanks via a clamped hose and nipples on each tank. Above this connection the side walls of each tank extend toward each other forming an inverted step on the bottom of the tank. The fuel lines , fuel returns, the fuel tank sending unit and the breathers go in the top of the tanks. Our coach developed a fuel leak in the driver’s side tank (rate about 1 gal/hr). The leak was caused by a crack just above the seam weld that formed the side of the tank above the step. The tank was removed and repaired by welding and put back in service. It failed again just above the previous repair after about 18 months. It was repaired again with a lot more care and attention given to the weld and heat treatment. Two years later the curb side tank failed at a similar place and was repaired by careful welding and heat treatment. No problems so far! I am careful not to over fill the tanks and leave at least 10% air space in the tanks. A warning label on the tanks says to fill no more than 95%.
11. 11. The gear ratio for the rear end originally was 4.89 and was replaced with a gear ratio of 4.33. The appropriate computer systems were re programmed so the odometer and speedometer would read correctly. The engine monitor was reset. The average fuel economy went from 6.2 mpg to 7.3 mpg as measured by the engine monitor. The Jake Brake comes on in 4th gear at 66 mph instead of 59 mph. Cruising rpm at 70 mph went from 1700 rpm to 1450 rpm. Hill climbing at 6% grade was same or better due to transmission shift points. Acceleration from a stop was slightly slower until the turbos kick in.
12. 12. The shock absorbers (all eight) and two front air bags were replaced and the front end was re aligned which took over four hours to get it correct.
13. 13. with maps and logic up dated to 2012. The horizontal blinds that cover the salon slide mechanism were replaced with house hold vertical blinds made to the correct measurements and installed side ways. The massage systems for both co- pilot and pilot chairs were either re-wired or replaced. The OEM backup camera display may revert to a default standard image not the reverse image after a reboot of the entire coach. There is no option in the menu to reverse it. I found that if I turned the house 12v master off/on several times with different delays (the switch is on the panel by the entrance door), I was able to get the reverse image back several times. I still do not know if it is the display or the camera that does the reversing or the correct procedure to do it! The mattress was replaced. The TV’s will be replaced. Sathco makes the drawer latches in blue (3 lbs 13N), silver (5 lbs 22N) or black (10 lbs 44N) pull weights. Some of our drawers would open while travelling and needed stronger latches.
"Dream Catcher"
Old 09-24-2017

Default corrected version of 13 prior post

13. The navigation system was up dated from DVD system to a hard drive system with maps and logic up dated to 2012. The horizontal blinds that cover the salon slide mechanism were replaced with house hold vertical blinds made to the correct measurements and installed side ways. The massage systems for both co- pilot and pilot chairs were either re-wired or replaced. The OEM backup camera display may revert to a default standard image not the reverse image after a reboot of the entire coach. There is no option in the menu to reverse it. I found that if I turned the house 12v master off/on several times with different delays (the switch is on the panel by the entrance door), I was able to get the reverse image back several times. I still do not know if it is the display or the camera that does the reversing or the correct procedure to do it! The mattress was replaced. The TV’s will be replaced. Sathco makes the drawer latches in blue (3 lbs 13N), silver (5 lbs 22N) or black (10 lbs 44N) pull weights. Some of our drawers would open while travelling and needed stronger latches.
"Dream Catcher"
Old 09-24-2017

I did own an 2005 Lxi450 for 10 years. When sold in 2015 it weighed 2,500# under the 17,000# allowed. We now have enjoyed a 2007 Lxi450 for another 2 plus years. The weight on the front axle is under the amount allowed. With the new 365 Michelin tires and wheels most of us 450 owners agreed the coach drives and rides better.
I do not think there is a better value and quality 45 foot coach on the market.

2001 Lx Sold
2005 450 Lxi Sold
2007 450 Lxi
Old 09-25-2017

Wow....that's what I call a comprehensive list. Thank You so much for that. I'm going cross country in mid October and may try to stop in Texas to have a look. Thank You for all the feedback!
Old 09-25-2017
Forum owner

I think the Texas 450 has been sold.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com