Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 10-09-2017

Default Heading West from East

I am planning a trip to Tipp City, OH this week and then west to the Denver, Colorado Springs area for business.

I am planning on taking I70 west from Dayton. There is a campground east of Denver called Denver East / Strasburg KOA.

Due my the hectic schedule, I will not be hanging around the park. Just using it as a "base camp"

I am seeking advise on route I70 west/east and info on the KOA.

I have read here, there are some "sketchy" KOA's. The reviews look ok. but.....

Dennis
Old 10-09-2017

Have you viewed this site? I’ve never been disappointed.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Old 10-09-2017

I have stayed at Strasbug KOA many times. it is ok, a little tight
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 10-09-2017

"I have stayed at Strasbug KOA many times. it is ok, a little tight"

thanks ernie, ok is all I am looking for.

I have read the rv park reviews and others. Consistent message. traffic and train noise.

I do not care if the planes I am working on are flying over all night. a little noise will not be a problem.

Anything to worry about on I70 east/west from OH to CO?

thanks,

dennis
Old 10-09-2017

I picked up 70 in Kansas, that's about as far east I have been on that road
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 10-10-2017
RV Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Joan View Post
"I have stayed at Strasbug KOA many times. it is ok, a little tight"

thanks ernie, ok is all I am looking for.

I have read the rv park reviews and others. Consistent message. traffic and train noise.

I do not care if the planes I am working on are flying over all night. a little noise will not be a problem.

Anything to worry about on I70 east/west from OH to CO?

thanks,

dennis
Pretty much the same view exit after exit, one Pilot, Flying J or Loves after another, in a little while they all look alike. I've been across it a few times and there are a few nice state parks you can spend the night cheaply in Kansas & Missouri, also Kansas offers free dump stations in their rest stops. If you're into dry camping Columbia Missouri has a Cabelas that offers overnight stays for free, better than Walmart, quieter, they close for the evening. I can't say too much about OH to MO because we pick up I-70 in Saint Louis. West of SL is Graham Cave State Park near Aberdeen nice and quiet, 12 bucks but only 30 amp and a dump facility but no drive through sites. But if nature, quiet nights with the sound of owls in the woods is your thing Graham is the park. In Kansas at Fossil Creek, the Fossil Creek RV is a no go because it is a royal dump. We just recently came from Denver and I have several sites logged in the books on the bird, call me tomorrow if you like more info.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 10-10-2017

While traveling I use the Goodsams camping app....there are different ones...... It will show most of the campgrounds with information in the area I'm searching.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 10-11-2017

Thank you for all of the inputs.

If there is anything to note on my travels, I will post with pics!!
Old 11-07-2017

Hey all,

The bus ran great the whole trip. The Stausburg KOA was as advertised on the WOG. "A little tight but OK". With the windows on the bus closed, traffic/train noise was not an issue.

A couple of things:

1. Kansas - While heading west across Kansas on i 70, the front duo therm shroud disappeared. The radio said winds were 45-50 mph, gusts to 70 mph. quartering to front drivers front side (south west to north east). Unless there is a better option, I will go to CW for replacement.

It would seem with that much left turn to compensate for the crosswind component, the steer tires would not be happy.

It is the first time I have seen wind socks in the median of an interstate. Also, signs saying "Interstate closed when flashing". hi winds (how high)? snow/sand storms? excessive tumbleweeds? If it is closed, what do you do? Park and wait for the event to be over?

My guess the shroud is next to Dorothy's house in Oz.

2. Cracked drivers side window on towed (see pic) There is a ricochet mark on the mirror where something hit then cracked the glass. bummer. matches both of my bus windshields. Years ago I had replaced both at coachcraft. within a year, both had "re-chipped". double bummer.

All in all, a good trip.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crack.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	52216  
Old 11-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Joan View Post
Hey all,

The bus ran great the whole trip. The Stausburg KOA was as advertised on the WOG. "A little tight but OK". With the windows on the bus closed, traffic/train noise was not an issue.

A couple of things:

1. Kansas - While heading west across Kansas on i 70, the front duo therm shroud disappeared. The radio said winds were 45-50 mph, gusts to 70 mph. quartering to front drivers front side (south west to north east). Unless there is a better option, I will go to CW for replacement.

It would seem with that much left turn to compensate for the crosswind component, the steer tires would not be happy.

It is the first time I have seen wind socks in the median of an interstate. Also, signs saying "Interstate closed when flashing". hi winds (how high)? snow/sand storms? excessive tumbleweeds? If it is closed, what do you do? Park and wait for the event to be over?

My guess the shroud is next to Dorothy's house in Oz.

2. Cracked drivers side window on towed (see pic) There is a ricochet mark on the mirror where something hit then cracked the glass. bummer. matches both of my bus windshields. Years ago I had replaced both at coachcraft. within a year, both had "re-chipped". double bummer.

All in all, a good trip.

Dennis

Those barriers are out there to protect the idiots from themselves. Normally they are used for snow events but I've seen them used for high winds around Ogden, Ut. When the gates close the turn arounds are use to return or exit to the parking area of your choice. Most of the time you won't have to sit more than a few hours. I had to sit once in the Columbia Gorge for several days because of an ice event but many, many times all over the west for snow closures. The barriers are needed. No telling how many lives they save every year.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656