Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > How To Protect Your RV Investment.

How To Protect Your RV Investment. This forum is set up to discuss insurance needs, terminology & where to go to get the best possible coverage for your needs. From time to time we will discuss the issues and differences in insurance coverage. When would an appraisal be in your best interest & how often should you have an appraisal and where one could obtain a certified appraisal.

Site Search:

Old 10-12-2017
RV Appraiser

When looking for insurance there are several thing that should be considered. I for one don't deal directly with insurance companies any more, I will deal with an insurance brokerage firm. Find a brokerage firm that offers many options from various companies. There is Thum in Grand Rapids, Farm & City in Iowa, Explorer in CA, Miller in FL and several others. I don't have a connection with any of these, they are sources that have been brought to my attention by clients when doing appraisals. FMCA is a good source for finding an insurance brokerage, many advertise in the magazine.

Many people are under the misconception that they have to buy locally from an agency in their state or hometown and that is not true. The agency can be in any state as long they are licensed to do business in your state of registration.

When you seek a firm let the brokerage representatives do the talking, they'll ask you a series of questions answer them and let them do all the leg work. They will survey the different companies for the right fit and find you the coverage best suited for you. Talking to a single company you may get some butt wad who has sold 2 policies and give you the wrong information. The bigger the company is the higher the risk of you getting wrong information. Until recently I have never had insurance with a company that was big enough to advertise on TV. If they can spend millions in advertising you're paying too much for coverage. Each company sets their own way of doing business, just because one does it a certain way does not mean the next is the same. There are 50 states and 50 different regulating agencies who monitor insurance so just because someone in Kansas gets a specific rate does not mean they will get the same rate in Missouri. Sometimes your health, banking, and driving history may impact your rating, along with your address & population of your city or geographical area.

Try not fall for the part time coverage or bundling. When I first got my coach I had it insured part time, I had to call them to tell them I was on the road. It was not worth it in savings, the difference was not enough to take the risk of forgetfulness. Some companies will offer bundling and in the long run bundling may not be your best option.

When going into Canada as a US registered driver, call your insurance company and get a Canadian Insurance Coverage Card, without it you are not covered.

I'll be at WOG and if anyone has any questions give me a shout and we can talk about your situation.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 10-12-2017

Not sure if this is the right place and I don't want to hijack the thread but...
If I am gong into another state and I decide to buy how do I go about insuring for the ride home if I don't already have a MH policy?
Towing service is just a universal policy with no regard to make? So that can be purchased in advance?
Old 10-12-2017

Charlie , I would suggest you pick a company who you think you would like to use. I've done this this using Progressive on vehicles . Call'm tell them what you have in mind with as much information as you can provide . Approx year model price etc. They should be able to tell you if this might be in their wheel house.

Once you find THE bus then you can pretty much do this over the phone and a credit card.

To insure a vehicle you have to have some exact information . Serial number. Make model year mileage price etc. I've done it with no problem. They will fax you a binder and proof of insurance. Insurance is easy the license plate a little more difficult. There are treads about that on the form. Not to worry the insurance company will take your money

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 10-13-2017

I just went through this in August. Progressive wrote me a policy over the web that took effect the day before I picked up my Bird. Coachnet was happy to put coverage into effect over the web given the VIN and a credit card number.
I left the plates from the previous owner on the bus and carried a copy of the bill of sale and certificate of title. Depending on state, there's a grace period of five days or so for just such events. A call to your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) will give you the proper procedures for your state.
Don't forget to check on any special requirement for your driver's license. California requires a noncommercial class B license for a coach between 40 and 45 feet with an endorsement. I'm lucky here in Florida; a regular license is good for any motorhome with no endorsements required.
You may also want to look into incorporating in a friendly state and having the corporation own and register the motorhome in that state. Montana is popular for this; California may want a lot of money to graciously allow you to put their plates on your new Bird as well as an additional fee every year to keep them.
850 814 9022
Old 10-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansm View Post
You may also want to look into incorporating in a friendly state and having the corporation own and register the motorhome in that state. Montana is popular for this; California may want a lot of money to graciously allow you to put their plates on your new Bird as well as an additional fee every year to keep them.
South Dakota is very easy for registration (plus only 4% tax) and no incorporating required...they love coach owners.

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 10-13-2017
Uncle Rod

I am using Auto Owners it is valued at 23k which I think is a little low. If my memory serves me correctly it's $38 when road legal and $8 when in storage they let me turn it on and off as often as I want. Oh and I have a 16 and 20 year old on the policy. The windshield got peppered with rocks and both sides had to be replaced. Besides having to hook them up with Duncan to get the glass there was no problems. $500 deductible
Old 10-27-2017

We received "the" letter from Bluesky this week.