Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
Do your homework on Vivilon...
Reminds me of the old floor polish trick. It would look great for a while, then you had a bear of time getting that stuff off once it turned to cr*p.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Floor Polish Experience

Before you spend big $$ for some “magic” in a bottle, read post #17 at this link: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/red-m...n-93958-2.html. On my prior SOB I used this technique. However, I substituted Zep High Gloss Floor polish in the blue jug (available HD, Sam’s and Walmart) and followed all the other steps exactly. This technique requires no polishing or heavy duty elbow grease.

It worked especially well on gelcoat. But also “restores” the faded decals and metal surfaces. Maintenance involved a light recoat once a year (well before it started to peal). Recoats are easier than the first time. As long as that is done, the finish won’t turn to cxxx. Would I do this to our bus? - NO. However, if I had an older bus sorely in need of new paint, I might try this technique before forking over big $$ on new. It might give you an extra year or two.

Pics are of SOB the day I sold her. Note how nice she looked. Yes, those are solar panels on her roof
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7304487-DFAB-4116-B420-769B0034AF9B.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	53019   Click image for larger version

Name:	76FEABB4-C52A-4E26-95E0-1C3F9B91180A.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	53020  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

I would hire Sean Dixon to do it,he has some magic for it!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Before you spend big $$ for some “magic” in a bottle, read post #17 at this link: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/red-m...n-93958-2.html. On my prior SOB I used this technique. However, I substituted Zep High Gloss Floor polish in the blue jug (available HD, Sam’s and Walmart) and followed all the other steps exactly. This technique requires no polishing or heavy duty elbow grease.

It worked especially well on gelcoat. But also “restores” the faded decals and metal surfaces. Maintenance involved a light recoat once a year (well before it started to peal). Recoats are easier than the first time. As long as that is done, the finish won’t turn to cxxx. Would I do this to our bus? - NO. However, if I had an older bus sorely in need of new paint, I might try this technique before forking over big $$ on new. It might give you an extra year or two.

Pics are of SOB the day I sold her. Note how nice she looked. Yes, those are solar panels on her roof
I did the same on my SOB. It was shining when I sold it.

TOM
Old 1 Week Ago

Wanderlodges do not have a gel coat. They are not fiberglass. I am dealing with Imron paint on metal. I have a rubbing compound I will be trying out on my next day off before the outside temps get too hot again. I already have all my Rejex stuff ready to go on but I first have to get rid of the oxidation from the metallic flake Imron paint. I will post pictures as I go.

Fort Myers, Florida
1982 FC33 3208T "Sandy Belle" - SOLD
1983 FC35 3208T "??"

danahcks@aol.com
Old 1 Week Ago

Just finished mine with rejex and it came out amazing in my opinion. Will try to get some pics this weekend. I did use some rubbing compound on some stubborn stains. The only issue I had was my lower colors were very rough and it was difficult to get the wax off.

1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411
6V92 TA & HT643

1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740
Old 1 Week Ago

Jeff, did you apply by hand with an applicator pad of some sort, or use a buffer??
Old 1 Week Ago

There is no magic bullet that will fix paint that has gone beyond. Buff a small inconspicuous section and if it comes back great. None of the magic snake oil formulas work for any length of time.
JMHO. Your mileage may vary. Look up the recommendations from the people that made Imron.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon41 View Post
Jeff, did you apply by hand with an applicator pad of some sort, or use a buffer??
I used a small orbital buffer 6" to put the wax on. If your paint is very chalky you really have to go over it several times with the orbital buffer to get it to be uniform. Once it hazed, I removed the heavy haze with some clean rags and then went over with a clean microfiber pad on the orbital buffer to really make it shine. There are some areas where I will probably go back and try to clean a little better in the future, but for now I wanted to get all the paint protected. The only tough area was the lower paint on my coach which was rough and it was quite difficult to remove the wax on those areas. I am considering having these areas re-painted possibly in the future.

Here is a picture I have and you can sort of see where we stopped waxing although it was getting dark so its a bit hard to see.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	53339

1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411
6V92 TA & HT643

1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

Last edited by 1984Lodge; 1 Week Ago at 10:15 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 6 Days Ago