Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 06-20-2010

Default Kool-o-Matic fan motor "fix"

Coach: 1985 BlueBird FC

Item: Kool-o-Matic fan motor “fix”.

Resource: http://www.ehow.com/how_4588810_smal...or-repair.html

Was prepping bus for our trip to Key Largo and Hilton Head next month and found the Kool-o-Matic fan was not working. I love this fan!!! Gotta have it!!!

On our fan you need both the wall thermostat set correctly and the fan mounted on/off/high/med/low dial set...these all seemed fine. I removed the grill and checked the wiring at the motor. Using voltmeter found good 12+ volts reaching the fan motor but the motor was not working. Turning current off to fan I spun the blade manually and it was free spinning. I turned on the fan again and the motor made a "humm" and the blade was trying to move. I shut off current and removed the motor for a closer examination. Note polarity of wiring.

Checking the internet I used the above referenced resource site to learn a bit about what to check and this was very helpful.

I then worked on the motor as follows:

1. Remove two small nuts on top of motor. Withdraw the two bolts that pass through the motor. You can then gently pull the black outer metal case apart until you can see the interior. You will have about 2” separating the two metal casings…wiring will prevent you from complete separation.
2. I found the stator and brush area very dirty and dusty…the stator was very dark, no shiny copper at all. I used a toothbrush and q-tips to clean the area. I sprayed the area with air and then some electrical contact cleaner as needed. I then polished the stator contact area where the brushes contact with an abrasive cloth until shiny and smooth. A final air brushing to remove any debris.
3. I put a very light coating of white lithium grease on the bearing areas at both ends of the motor.
4. I lubed the brush housing with a very light application of a Teflon lube.
5. To reassemble…first close up the upper area (where brushes are) together. You need to ease the drive shaft in-between the brushes and a small screwdriver can be used to hold back the brush on one side then the other. Once this end is fully seated, you do the bottom.
6. Reattach the nuts & bolts. You may have to push the interior wiring around a bit to get the bolt to go through the holes for the nuts…try a toothpick.
7. Test motor rotation manually…should turn smoothly.
8. Apply 12 volts to test motor. In my case it runs great now...warranty? only the future will tell...

When the day comes I'll put a Fantastic Fan up there next - likely the best quality most effective replacement. The Kool-o-Matic company folded a few year back. Possible source for some parts (may be dated): http://www.kool-o-matic.net/

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79

Last edited by f.wernlein; 06-20-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add parts info
Old 06-20-2010

Wow, good information. Thank you very much.

Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 06-21-2010

this is next on my to do list. I checked for 12v at the fan..nada. I'm guessing that the kitchen cool o matic is controled by the thermostat in the kitchen. I have 12vs at the thermostat but cant figure out the wiring between the thermostat and the fan. Any ideas?
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by atckip View Post
this is next on my to do list. I checked for 12v at the fan..nada. I'm guessing that the kitchen cool o matic is controled by the thermostat in the kitchen. I have 12vs at the thermostat but cant figure out the wiring between the thermostat and the fan. Any ideas?

have you tried swapping thermostats? bedroom to kitchen. my thermostats are different bedroom to kitchen, not sure if yours are the same or different.
Old 06-21-2010

I thought about that as I used that method to fix my front A/C. But they look different. I'm guessing that my bedroom thermo just turns on the propane heat. I'm going to run buy the store and pick up a cheap one. Just a side note, I found 12v on the thermstat board and jumped from there to my fan motor. It sounded like a relay was clicking. Is there a relay between the thermostat and the fan
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-21-2010

Quote:
I thought about that as I used that method to fix my front A/C. But they look different. I'm guessing that my bedroom thermo just turns on the propane heat. I'm going to run buy the store and pick up a cheap one. Just a side note, I found 12v on the thermstat board and jumped from there to my fan motor. It sounded like a relay was clicking. Is there a relay between the thermostat and the fan
that is probably the relay for your propane heat. You probably won't hear same click when operating bedroom fan. There maybe another relay between fan and thermostat but I don't know. I think you are heading down the right path by first checking the thermostat. Second would be the fan. Third the relays and wiring.
Old 06-21-2010

Default Kool-o-Matic thermostat settings...

On our coach...for fan to run you have two choices at the main thermostat:

The heat/off/cool switch (lower left lever) set to "cool" and thermostat adjustment lever set lower than ambient temp. Note: If this unit is set to heat...the propane heater will run if temp adjustment lever set higher than ambient temp.

OR

The other switch (lower right) set to "on".

When I move the selector levers...I can hear a relay clicking.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 06-22-2010

Quote:

I was just thinking that it would probably be easier to check for 12v at the fan, then trying to figure out the wiring at the thermostat, or buying a cheap thermostat replacement at the store.
Old 06-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Money_Pit View Post
I was just thinking that it would probably be easier to check for 12v at the fan, then trying to figure out the wiring at the thermostat, or buying a cheap thermostat replacement at the store.
That's the problem..I don't have 12v at the fan
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-22-2010
Administrator

Quote:
That's the problem..I don't have 12v at the fan
Kip did you get Frank's post # 7 ??