Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Mobile Mama

Default 1982 FC35SB Water Draining Confusion

I was woken by a knock on the door this morning informing me water was spilling out of the rear of the bus (exactly as it does when filling the tank - that fill switch was off, however). I am attached to city water (with a pressure regulator at source), but had not been using any water at any time during the night, and the water pump was turned off. (I use the Bird's water system sparingly since I spend my days in the house where I am visiting for the summer).

Turning the source faucet off slowed the flow, which eventually stopped. After city water was disconnected, I turned my tank water on at faucets, then turned pump on to release any air or pressure that might have built up. No noticeable problems there.

FYI, the water heater has been turned off for months, but about a month ago, water started spilling out of the water heater overflow pipe under the bus (again, no water was or had been used in hours, water heater was off at panel) I can't remember if water pump was off. The sporlan valve was replaced (and water heater has not been turned on since).

Maybe, maybe not connected....... Since I can't upload pictures here I wonder if I am interpreting the typed instructions on the Drain Panel on the side of the bed incorrectly. If I am misinterpreting them, could that be connected to these problems? On the panel, the top switch is "SYSTEM LINES DRAIN", below that is WATER HEATER DRAIN", below that a toggle switch on/off for WATER DRAIN. On the door, the typed instructions say: "TOP DRAIN MUST REMAIN CLOSED DURING NORMAL OPERATION. LOWER DRAIN MUST REMAIN OPEN DURING NORMAL OPERATION". As it was when I purchased my Bird 2 years ago, the 'Systems' drain is set to'close', the 'Water Heater' drain is set to 'Open', and the toggle switch for 'water drain' is set to 'off'. The 'water heater drain' has remained "Open" all this time.)

Can someone confirm that the "LOWER DRAIN" is referring to the Water Heater Drain and that it, indeed, should remain OPEN?

Can these two occurrences be connected?

If not, could the tank fill switch be faulty?

That these problems occurred when the Bird's water system was not being used is disturbing. What am I missing? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Wouldn't I be simple enough to just position the water heater drain to close (which I think it should be closed) and see what happens ?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Ok I have a '93 and I'm sure there is no comparison, so maybe I should keep my mouth shut. However, if you have a drain that is OPEN then you are going to lose water!!! I have nothing open on my coach. Also, the LOWER DRAIN refers to the low spot on my coach. IN other words if I wish to void my coach of any water, I open the LOWER drain and I have no water. So to say the least I'm confused and I'm sure no help. Hopefully a person that has or had an '82 will come on here to give you a little more sound advice.

This advice is something that all years need to adhere to. Fill the onboard water tank. Turn off the city water connection. Turn on the pump when you use or need water. NEVER leave the city water hooked up and on and use it. Especially if you leave or go to sleep at night. City water connections can and have caused a lot of grief. People have left their bus to come back to water pouring out of the storage bays and door, because a water pipe connection failed and the city water pressure kept pouring water into the coach. Good luck.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Nicole,

Your 82 sounds a little different from my 83 so my experience might not be relevant.

If indeed the water came out the same opening as it does when you over fill the fresh water tank that is important. I can think of 2 ways to confirm that. One would be to remove the mattress so you can see the area under the bed. The overflow pipe is "corrugated", over an inch in diameter and comes from the top edge of the fresh water tank. It has an elbow in it to keep things from getting into you fresh water tank from outside.

Another way is to hook the hose back up and fill your water tank. Assuming that works look under when it starts overflowing and note which hose the water is coming out of.

Next repeat the setup where you had the problem and confirm or deny that the water is coming out of the overflow pipe.

On my 83 the hot water drain and the fresh water drain come out of the same pipe on the bottom of the RV. A side effect of this is that I have to drain the fresh water before I can drain the hot water.

I have 2 valves under the bed pertaining to the hot water tank. One is Hot Water Fill that closes and opens the cold water input to the hot water tank, and one is Hot Water Drain. I always have the hot water drain closed unless I am in the middle of winterizing it. This keeps the heating element submerged in case someone accidentally turns the hot water on.

There is another pipe leaving the hot water tank that drains through the bottom of the RV which is for the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank.

When you shut off the city water the water flowing out of the RV continued for a time. That makes me suspicious that the water was coming from your fresh water tank. That acts a little like a bladder, expands beyond full and the water continues to flow out of it even after you turn off the city water.

If it is your fresh water tank it makes me think of a possible explanation, could someone have turned on the fill switch in the compartment where you plug in the power cords? I rarely lock that compartment on mine and someone switching that to fill and walking away would cause exactly what you describe.
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 1 Week Ago

Isn't the low water drain under the bathroom sink??
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 1 Week Ago
Uncle Rod

If it is in fact coming out of your overflow it sounds like your sporlan valve is not closing. Flip the fill switch several times and see if that helps. See if valve gets warm to the touch when switched off. You can put a test light from ground to the valve and make sure there is no power there when fill switch is off. If all above is ok. The valve may need to be disassembled. It doesn't take much for them to leak internally. A small chunk of grit when filling will do it.
Old 1 Week Ago

I second the conclusion about the sporlan valve not closing. On my '88 it happens occasionally and it will just continue to fill the tank. I don't trust it so I fill my tank and just run off the water pump. It's a safer practice than using city water pressure since there is less chance of a flood.

I sometimes can get mine to close by turning it off and also turning off the water and removing any pressure in the fill hose. Then reapply city pressure. Again, I rarely use city pressure - bad experience in the past involving a lot of water.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1988 FC-35SB (current)