Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-08-2010

Default 6 volt or 12 volt golf cart batteries????

I am considering replacing my coach batteries with golf cart batteries. Which is better 12 volt or 6 volt golf cart batteries.

In a 48 volt golf cart, you have either 6 8volt batteries or 4 12 volt batteries. Which will give you the longest run time?

In my motor home, I would have to use either 6 volt batteries wired in series and parael or 12 volt batteries wired as the coach is wired. Looking at the 12 volt battery, they have 6 holes to put water in. The 6 volt battery has 3 holes to put water in.

I have attempted to find the amp hours of each on the internet, but I haven't found this information.The Trojan web site is just generic in natureand does not give specs. I guess I could email them, but then I have every confidence that we have guru's that know the answer.

Thanks
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380
Blountstown, Florida
Old 09-08-2010

Richard,

Speaking generically, going with 6v golf cart batteries is a good thing. They tend to hold more power versus a normal 12v battery.

You cannot use 8v batteries, so don't even consider them...

There are a wide variety of golf cart batteries out there. Do some research, and listen to the opinons that I'm sure will be posted here, and you'll find a battery that suites your needs.

Personally, I use Energizer branded golf cart batteries sold by Sam's Club. They are made by Johnson Controls.

-Robert
Linden, Michigan
Old 09-08-2010

My opinion is neither. Go with whatever wiring is currently there (6 volt or 12 volt), and put in AGM batteries to match. Zero future maintainance, no out gassing, cables and connections stay nice and clean, no water to add.

With a smart charger and AGMs I open the batt compartment once every couple of months, eyeball it for 5 seconds, and close it back up. Worth every dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmar View Post
I am considering replacing my coach batteries with golf cart batteries. Which is better 12 volt or 6 volt golf cart batteries.

In a 48 volt golf cart, you have either 6 8volt batteries or 4 12 volt batteries. Which will give you the longest run time?

In my motor home, I would have to use either 6 volt batteries wired in series and parael or 12 volt batteries wired as the coach is wired. Looking at the 12 volt battery, they have 6 holes to put water in. The 6 volt battery has 3 holes to put water in.

I have attempted to find the amp hours of each on the internet, but I haven't found this information.The Trojan web site is just generic in natureand does not give specs. I guess I could email them, but then I have every confidence that we have guru's that know the answer.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2010
Forum Moderator

Reading from the links below will help you make up your mind which way you want to go

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm
Old 09-08-2010

Richard,

When I bought my coach 8 years ago the original 6 volt battery set up was still in tact. It was time to replace them so I went with 12 volt AGM's. I used Oddessy units. VERY expensive, but I wanted the best. I have a good Xantrex 3 stage charger, so I was in good shape there. BUT..I was very disapointed witht the AGM's. They DID NOT hold up at all. they lasted me less than 2 years before I started having trouble keeping them charged. I was told that those type batteries are NOT deep cycle units. And just a slight discharge and recharge pepeated over a period of time will play **** on those type batteries. In May of last year, I finally got rid of the AGM's and install 8 - 6 volt golf cart batteries. Have had GREAT luck with them. Never a problem. I used batteries bought at Sam's club. They were less than 100 bucks each. I check the water every 60 days or so, and have only had to add a little each time. I'm using distilled water, as suggested, and have no problem with my cables getting corroded. Of course I stay after everything in the engine bay with my power washer.

All that being said, I'm sure my mistake was NOT using deep cycle units. I'm sure there are good deep cycle AGM's on the market that work fine. But for the money, I'd stick with a bank of 6 volt units. Good rugged batteries that stand up to just about anything you can throw at them. And use the difference in cost to fix or upgrade something else on the coach.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 09-08-2010

Richard, Check these guys out. http://www.usbattery.com/usb_productline_main.html

Thats a link directly to their 6v deep cycle batteries. I would consider there l-16 offerings.

Randy and a few other guys have used the l-16's with seemingly great results.

Here's a link to a battery watering system that makes great lead acid batteries almost completely maintance free. http://www.flow-rite.com/battery-watering/pro-fill

Watering your batteries with that system could be as difficult as squeezing a bulb a couple of times or as easy as pushing a button. If you like that system let me know as I have some cool ideas for implementing it.

Peace&Love,Darren

Wanderlodge Wannabe
That's "Cheers" the dream coach
Old 09-09-2010

Default Battery replacement

Hi Richard,

Replaced in a series with 6v golf cart batteries (2005).
Interstates, but I would look at Sams for a comparison.

Happy Trails,

Gene Sharp
93 WL 40'
Belle Center, Oh
Old 09-09-2010
Can't re-member

I have been using Trojan batteries for years with great results and will probably stick with them the next time I need batteries. On another note, I was watching one of those "how its made" shows on satellite one night and the show was profiling Odyssey batteries. Supposedly this is the only battery company that uses "virgin" lead new for each battery built versus recycled lead alloy. Supposedly they get much more plate area with thinner plates and twice the poser as conventional batteries. I have no connection with them but did look them up so if anyone is interested take a look at www.odysseybatteries.com.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion"
Stockbridge, GA
Old 09-09-2010

John, I watched that same episode. I was facinated how those batteries are made. But last time I checked, they still do not make a deep cycle 6 volt battery. Also, the effectivness of a 6 volt deep cycle is because of the thickness of the plates. Apparently thicker is better for a deep cycle application. In the deep cycle world, thin plates will warp much quicker than a thicker plate. When I had the Odyssey's in my BB, I can vouch for the starting power. It was great! I had 5 of the PC2150 units and starting power, when they were new, was simply GREAT. I also had one 12 volt dedicated just for the generator. NEVER a starting problem. Until they started going bad from the constant discharge/charge cycles. They are great starting batteries, I just used them in the wrong application. I would not hesitate to use them for a starting application again. But for coach batteries, stick with a bank of 6 volt units. And maybe add 2 more if you have the room. My coach originally had 6, that gave me 660 amp hours. I welded up a mount and added 2 more for a total of 880 amp hours. I made all new cables when I went back to the 6 volt units. I soldered all cable ends and used shrink tube over them.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 09-09-2010
Can't re-member

You are right about not offering 6V batteries. I did notice that they do offer a deep cycle 12V but it looks like a monster of a battery that would never fit in a FC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
John, I watched that same episode. I was facinated how those batteries are made. But last time I checked, they still do not make a deep cycle 6 volt battery. Also, the effectivness of a 6 volt deep cycle is because of the thickness of the plates. Apparently thicker is better for a deep cycle application. In the deep cycle world, thin plates will warp much quicker than a thicker plate. When I had the Odyssey's in my BB, I can vouch for the starting power. It was great! I had 5 of the PC2150 units and starting power, when they were new, was simply GREAT. I also had one 12 volt dedicated just for the generator. NEVER a starting problem. Until they started going bad from the constant discharge/charge cycles. They are great starting batteries, I just used them in the wrong application. I would not hesitate to use them for a starting application again. But for coach batteries, stick with a bank of 6 volt units. And maybe add 2 more if you have the room. My coach originally had 6, that gave me 660 amp hours. I welded up a mount and added 2 more for a total of 880 amp hours. I made all new cables when I went back to the 6 volt units. I soldered all cable ends and used shrink tube over them.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion"
Stockbridge, GA