Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-24-2011

Default cummins 8.3 turbo - won't start: can't shut off the fuel shut off

file://https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=b071dacde8&view=att&th=131fc2d4a70a6670&a ttid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=f_grqe9cvw1&zwLA saga sequel -
Left LA & stopped in Needles, so named because the heat stings.

In LA this Cummins 8.3 of mine wouldn't stop because a metal plate that a piston pushes to cut off the fuel was missing, and a "pickup mechanic" who deserves (and will get) some free publicity for his prowess could see how this worked and created his version of the missing plate and welded it on. That enabled me to shut the motor off with a key !

Now in Needles the motor won't start, I think because the piston that pushes the plate won't kindly go back into its little cylinder. So far I've put a vice-grips on the piston and have been able to rotate it around in its hole. (Have only barely moved it just to see if its free.) For good measure I sprayed some new version of wd40 or so on it. Also lightly hammer tapped the vice-grip when clamping the piston. This didn't make it whoosh back into it's little silo. - REALLY wish I could post the pix I have of this set up but having finally made them small enough to post, when I try to post them it wants an http address, but my pix are ones I made and put on my computer, so they don't have an http address. Oh well, maybe somebody knows what I'm talking about without a photo album....

So thanks to the forum suggestions after this post, I finally added a couple pix to this post. These were taken when I couldn't turn off the engine with a key and was pulling the fuel shut off away from the little round piston you see behind it.

I believe I'm now not able to start the motor because the little piston you see behind it has protruded from it's little silo to push the plate to turn off the motor. Only thing is, having performed this act, it now won't retreat into it's little silo. (It's currently sticking out of its silo about 2 or 3" instead of being almost totally in as it is in these pix of the not-shutting-off problem.

Henceforth I think I'll limit my boondocking to the yards of Cummins service locations.

Last edited by 1derer; 08-24-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2011
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
LA saga sequel -
Left LA & stopped in Needles, so named because the heat stings.

In LA this Cummins 8.3 of mine wouldn't stop because a metal plate that a piston pushes to cut off the fuel was missing, and a "pickup mechanic" who deserves (and will get) some free publicity for his prowess could see how this worked and created his version of the missing plate and welded it on. That enabled me to shut the motor off with a key !

Now in Needles the motor won't start, I think because the piston that pushes the plate won't kindly go back into its little cylinder. So far I've put a vice-grips on the piston and have been able to rotate it around in its hole. (Have only barely moved it just to see if its free.) For good measure I sprayed some new version of wd40 or so on it. Also lightly hammer tapped the vice-grip when clamping the piston. This didn't make it whoosh back into it's little silo. - REALLY wish I could post the pix I have of this set up but having finally made them small enough to post, when I try to post them it wants an http address, but my pix are ones I made and put on my computer, so they don't have an http address. Oh well, maybe somebody knows what I'm talking about without a photo album....

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > How to use the Forum Features > How can I add a photo to the body of my message? UPDATED INFORMATION

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-24-2011
ANOTHER REDNECK

we need pictures

can you just unhook it? the shutoff should be spring loaded and then should run with out that

I need pictures of your engine compt for referance as what exhaust manifolds ect
hEllPASO-TX = duty station

Old 08-24-2011

Default adding pix

Sounds like the pic has to have a web address to put on the forum.
So I attached a photo to an email to myself, sent the email to myself, then copied the web address of the photo I viewed in the email to paste into the forum's box you get when you click the Insert Image icon . The result is the red X you see in the first posting of this thread. No wonder I got left by the side of the road in the town that pictures made famous.

So far so bad.

I'd settle for adding a photo as an attachment to a posting, but I don't see an icon for doing that. I'm going to try inserting a link to the emailed photo. It appears that worked. So now I'll edit the original post to explain the pic.

Last edited by 1derer; 08-24-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-24-2011

Email them to me. I am heading for work and can post in 20 minutes or so. You can figure out how to do them later when you have time.

I sent you a pm with the address.
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 08-24-2011
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
Sounds like the pic has to have a web address to put on the forum.
So I attached a photo to an email to myself, sent the email to myself, then copied the web address of the photo I viewed in the email to paste into the forum's box you get when you click the Insert Image icon . The result is the red X you see in the first posting of this thread. No wonder I got left by the side of the road in the town that pictures made famous.

So far so bad.

I'd settle for adding a photo as an attachment to a posting, but I don't see an icon for doing that. I'm going to try inserting a link to the emailed photo.

NO!!

It sounds more like you are not reading all of the tutorial, as in;

Quote:
.................................................. ....................

You can also add a photo to your posted message as an Attachment, by using this method. If you scroll down below the Message editing box, you will find what is described below;

If you cannot see the picture above go to;
http://www.pbase.com/image/95518841

You can also view it by clicking on the attachment here or at the bottom of this message;
HOW TO ADD AN ATTACHMENT TO YOUR MESSAGE.jpg

NOTE; The size of the attachment is limited to the size indicated by the number next to the type of attachment to be downloaded, which may be different than shown in the picture above and HOW TO ADD AN ATTACHMENT TO YOUR MESSAGE.jpg

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-24-2011

Default pix

maybe this works?

If it works, please note the Other Options isn't available in the editing of a post feature; you have to "Reply to post". Didn't check to see if the Other Options is available in Quick Reply.

In preview mode it appears the directions from John work.

So here are a couple shots of me giving my motor the finger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a (2).JPG
Views:	121
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	12024   Click image for larger version

Name:	b (2).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	12025  
Old 08-24-2011

Default Hurrah !

Turns out where it wouldn't start is right across the freeway from a Cummins service center that deals with the 8.3 What a nice outfit !
I spoke with a fellow about the issue and getting to where the garage is should I be able to start. Without my even mentioning what I was driving and without asking him to be the traveler's aid, he drove over, jumped the starter and so I was able to drive to Great West Truck and Auto in Needles, CA where they are hopping all over the sorry beast as I type. I could even have just driven on out of Needles, no questions asked. But with this level of competence at hand, I'm ready to throw my whole laundry list at them. - Even though during the night I regretted stopping by a bunch of semis that as it turned out stuck around and ran their coolers all night, I'm glad for this happy turn of events.

Plus, now I know how to post pix already on my computer.

What more can I ask?
Old 08-24-2011

Default Huzzahs are premature

I thought I understood why it wouldn't start, which is why I titled this thread as I did.

It turns out the service place across the freeway started it by jumping the selonoid. (They began by telling me the starter was defective (this after I got a new selonoid), but they couldn't find a replacement for the starter. I could have left it at that and gotten off free for the time being by imitating what they did to get it started. But I said go ahead and do some more so it'll start with a key. A good $300 later it did start a few more times with a key, and maybe it will again.

But now I'm scared to start it because where I am right now it wouldn't stop with removal of the key. I thought this issue was resolved before, but the fuel shut off is already in position to shut it off. Shortly before it wouldn't shut off it seemed like the idle had been increased, but extremely. The way I shut it off was accidentally by shifting from neutral to drive while the brake was on. It stalled out. I wonder if I screwed up the fuel shut off by doing what I did to try to allow fuel for starting. Or maybe they did something.

What a trip !
Old 08-25-2011

With the Cummins solenoid, it has a relay that likes to go out. I have seen (my Dad's old similar 5.9 - baby brother of the 8.3) where in order to get it to start you had to turn the key on, lift the energized plunger up (it'll stay up) and then crank the truck. Later on we realized there was a kill switch under the seat that had been accidentaly flipped. But it is similar behavior (as i know it) to when the relay goes out. No way to even begin to move the solenoid plunger unless the key was on.

Ken - Austin, Texas - keeping Mom on the road in her '94 34' Safari Serengeti
- 250hp Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbo Diesel (#6 fuel plate, straight pipe, 3K Gov Spring, Timing @14.25, Boost @21psi, Isspro gauges)

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)