Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 10-19-2011

Default 1985 35' FC - Blown Front Suspension Bag(s)

Hello and good day to everyone

As I have limped home from Arkansas due to a blown suspension bag and am fully incapable of fixing this myself I thought I would ask a couple of questions for some guidance

I figured out the bag that is blown, but should I replace both on that side or all 4 in the front? (had to drive about 600 miles on this situation)

Where do I get the replacement bags from and make sure they are correct?

Finally how much would one expect to pay to have this fixed?

Everyone I have called so far won't even give me an estimate, so I am scared.

And yes it was a fun ride home to all who were wondering...

Fun times for Captain Bullfrog
Old 10-19-2011

If all four look the same in terms of weather checking or cracking of the rubber, then they are all about the same age and I would replace all four, especially if they look like they are original. Your originals were probably made by Firestone. Goodyear is also a major manufacturer of air bags. Someone will probably be along with the part numbers soon. You can also check out this link.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/identi...ir-ride-spring
Old 10-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerpicard View Post
Hello and good day to everyone

As I have limped home from Arkansas due to a blown suspension bag and am fully incapable of fixing this myself I thought I would ask a couple of questions for some guidance

I figured out the bag that is blown, but should I replace both on that side or all 4 in the front? (had to drive about 600 miles on this situation)

Where do I get the replacement bags from and make sure they are correct?

Finally how much would one expect to pay to have this fixed?

Everyone I have called so far won't even give me an estimate, so I am scared.

And yes it was a fun ride home to all who were wondering...

Fun times for Captain Bullfrog
I just bought some for my 84. Should be the same.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...21&postcount=1
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 10-19-2011
Gardner

Try to find out what happened.. Exhaust leaks can cause the air bags to fail. I replaced all four this spring based on a maintenance approach. I ended up replacing the exhaust from the turbo back as well. It was very close to failure at the seams and would have ruined one or two of the new bags when it failed.
Travel Blog http://newdealblog.com/archives/category/trek-2012
Old 10-19-2011
Forum owner

figure on paying $1500 for bags and labor.
If the shop does not have a pit or a lift find another shop,doing that job on a creeper is bad,and will cost you more money.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-19-2011
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
figure on paying $1500 for bags and labor.
If the shop does not have a pit or a lift find another shop,doing that job on a creeper is bad,and will cost you more money.
Laying on cold gravel while changing bags is even more fun.....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion"
Stockbridge, GA
Old 10-19-2011

one bag 120.00 laying in the gravel on wheels on blocks one front bage and a jack one hour you got four bags 4 hous. oh ya you need beer to keep you strong, I drove 30 miles no fune you are a trouper. If you dont wrench for youre self bend over. Oh ye it does suck.
marblemount Wa.
Old 10-20-2011
Got One

Jeremiah,

I'm originally from Lincoln, NE...Went to Lincoln Sr High School Dad is still alive n kicking there, so I get down there from time to time. Maybe we can hook up when I make my next trip Is your bird a side bath, or rear bath?
Old 10-20-2011
Got One

Oh yeah I forgot my manners...Welcome to the WOG forum !! The guys here are the best....ere uhh, the greatest!...er uh...Just pretty darn good folks..
Old 10-20-2011

Well guys thanks for the heads up on the sites to go to for the parts and where thttp://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=132702o take it to. The guy I called said they don't have a pit, I told him he doesn't want to do this job and he laughed. "I didn't want to do it in the beginning." Funny Funny stuff

I have mentally prepared myself to be bent over, but I may have just found that friends are awesome and spread out all over. My buddy's brother manages a huge truck stop repair shop so I think I have gotten a spot to work on it. This trip was expensive, so I am thinking this may be a project after savings and the bus will have to park for a bit.

I found that beer was very important to maintain my level of stress while working on the batteries when I got her, so beer should also help with this project (or did help after the trip home, ouch)

Rich, Guess I did forget to mention that this is a Rear Bath basically the same style as your bus. And I am always down for some beers if your in Lincoln, Don't mind the mess and your more then welcome to come over.

Thanks everyone, I will keep you posted on the results of the exhaust inspection. I am running a cat 3208 Turbo So I will be doing a detailed look at everything once I recover from this trip