Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Coaches Wanted

Coaches Wanted Looking to buy a particular coach? Place your request here.

Site Search:

Old 08-28-2012

Default Input requested on 1979 bird

I'm a Wanderlodge wannabe and was looking at this bird

http://chicago.ebayclassifieds.com/t...r/?ad=22888319

anyone have any input on this.

Underpowered, but easy to maintain ? No airbags if I'm correct. What can be done to improve engine performance.
thanks
Old 08-28-2012
Resident Rookie

Jack,
That is a clean looking coach! Be sure and check any and all maintenance records...if there are none, it probably didn't happen. I had a 78 FC just like that one..loved it and would recommend that to anyone starting out....they are not that complicated and most parts are available. Cat 3208s are easy to work on and lots around to replace them. Get used to 65 mph and enjoy the scenery! Got between 7-9 mpg depending on terrain and load.

The best improvement I made was removing the Onan 6.5kw and installing a Wrico 10KW - made a world of difference in the comfort level.

Sometimes the care and treatment of an older coach by an serious owner who is a meticulous record keeper (OCD anyone?) is worth alot more $.
Compare all the FCs for sale around the country and go see it, if possible, with an FC owner. If he used a local dealer for his maintenance - the records are there.

Enjoy the shopping!

940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 08-28-2012

Jack,

I bought a 79 very similar to this one earlier this summer. Same colour as well! Looks like this one has had some minor changes inside - but not alot.

Hindsight, I would really check out the airbrake system and mechanical systems (especially if mechanically challenged). I have had to spend a fair amount of time working on the airbrakes but have pretty much got that wrapped up now. Up here (in Canada), I have found it a challenge to get a good mechanic to work on it at this time of year - so I have been learning. Systems are quite straight forward - and parts can be found quite easily. I found that the parts for the air system are quite inexpensive if you can do the work yourself.

This site has been a great help and most info can be found here with a bit of looking. My bus also has a big blue box full of manuals which are a big bonus!

So from my point of view and what I gather from others the priority maintenance to consider is:

- Air Brakes (I can't do anything else until I pass a practical test with the bus and they need to be working properly ie: no leaks)
- Tires - lots info on site about them
- Belts - the Bus has lots of belts and they seem to be a PITA to change
- Lubrication - change the fluids and grease the drive train etc (mine does not seem to have been done recently)

I love my bus and can't hopefully will get it out on the road soon - but for now I just tinker on it and keep telling my wife it is almost ready!

Good luck,
Old 08-28-2012

I don't feel you can really get much more power out of the Na, putting in a 250TA would make the coach pretty good in most situations. I am happy to have air ride on my 1980, in 10 years of ownership maintenance has been minimal and the ride is great. I bet the roof airs are dead/difficult to make reliable and will need to be replaced. Figure you may want to change out the original carpet and upholstery, maybe not right away but at some point. As Kevin said, brakes can be a big deal if they need a lot and if you can't do it, not sure if you can. No full awning package, I personally like ours. Gas generator, may want to upgrade to diesel at some point. Any way, looks pretty nice but at $20K it should also work very well.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-28-2012

Steel wheels on the steer axle, what's up with that? Did the Wanderlodge II come that way in '79 or is something more sinister afoot?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-28-2012
sweeperman

Looks like a 33footr two roof airs?
Old 08-28-2012
Forum owner

For $25k i can sell you an 87 FC31,with a 300hp engine,ZF tranny,new tires and new generator.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
For $25k i can sell you an 87 FC31,with a 300hp engine,ZF tranny,new tires and new generator.
With all of this newer, cooler stuff, and from Randy, I would take this one in a heartbeat over the '79 with the Cat/Allison and bad A/C's. Just my $0.02.

Mike, Justin, and Ryan Evans
Richland, MI
www.companyfixers.com
1985 PT36 formerly known as "The Pine Mountain Express"
2005 Chevrolet Suburban SuperToad with Blue Ox baseplate and Aventa LX towbar, Brake Buddy
Old 08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I wanted to stay in the 10k-15k range(there should be a thread on this). Seems like a few people and birds are looking in this range)

Sounds like a nice Bird.
Old 08-29-2012
Forum owner

We all started the same way.
If i see a bird in that range i will post it on WOG.
Good luck!
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com