Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 04-29-2009

Default Dryer Sheet Myth

I've seen it said on some RV forums that Bounce Dryer Sheets repel mice and other critters that get into stored campers. Some friends of mine just took their Southwind RV out of storage and found shredded dryer sheets in a nest that some mice had built in their kitchen cabinet. They had also used the sheets in some clothing drawers and found that the mice had shredded and crapped all over them. I guess that our mice are getting "Bounce resistant". For the past 4 years, I've had good luck with a Bird-X Transonic Pest Repeller. (see http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/c...ar-126423.html)

shane@midatlanticinspections.org
717-645-4912
Old 04-29-2009
Gardner

I think the best repellant is to be certain there is nothing left to feed the critters. I do admit, however, that the wife spreads the drier sheets all over and we have had no critter problems.
Travel Blog http://newdealblog.com/archives/category/trek-2012
Old 04-30-2009

Default Dryer Sheet Myth

I tried them and it didn't stop the little furry critters, but it did make my bird smell good and my coffee tasted a little like "Snuggles" from the sheets I put in the compartment where my cups were.

I got some electronic repellers and that along with good old fashioned traps got some of 'em. Persistent little rascals.
Old 04-30-2009

I like to place Warfarin or mouse bait outside of the coach and generally control rodents around the property. The Red Tailed Hawk that hangs out around our place seems to help keep the population down also.
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 04-30-2009
Forum Moderator / Administrator

I use the C.A.T. control method. While here at the homebase she works outside in the daytime and inside at night, while on the road she normally works just inside, but occasionally likes to inspect the top of the 'Bird's rear axle, tires and holding tank, before I can grab her little a#* and put her back inside. She does an excellent job at rodent control, along with lizard, bugs, insets, squirrels, and an occasional bird of the flying variety

Once here at home she attracted a rattle snake, that was probably after the squirrel that she was snacking on at the time, I managed to get her away from the squirrel and with a 10 foot length of PVC pipe, prod the snake until it moved toward the wooded lot behind my place, but then decided to go under my shed, I am very observant when I'm around the shed now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CALLY MEDITATING.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	1787  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-30-2009

Default I'm with John

Cat control around the place is probably the best thing. But I'm allergic to them so I have to use other methods. Never tried the dryer sheets but did the electronic gizmos. What a waste of money that was. Moved the coach inside my new building and in less than a week I saw signs of mice in the coach. I won't use poison anymore. Found out the hard way one time when my little dog got into the stuff. Didn't kill her but I thought I had for a couple of days. The vet did a great job! Anyway, I went back to the old tried and true snap traps. Bait them with peanut butter and you can't miss. I put some between the duals so the dog can't get to it as easy. Then one in each bay and then in stratigic spots inside. In two days my mouse problem was gone. Four mice with snapped necks, two inside and two outside and I haven't seen or heard anonother one since. I tried the baitless traps, the sticky traps, and so on. The only thing that I believe is almost foolproof is the old fashion snap traps with peanut butter.

Jim Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-30-2009

Good Girl Calley!!!
Happy Hunting.

1973 31FC
Cape Cod MA
Old 04-30-2009

Another Mouse Myth.

Do not use Decon. The mice do not eat the bait and go running for water. Nor do they mummify or dry-up quickly , nor expand and explode.
A two inch mouse smells awful in the decomposing stages.
We store our Bird indoors near a farm, the owner uses Decon around his barns and storage facilities. Our friendly dead horrid mouse, mom mouse and the three new borns were behind the front grill inspection panel. The fresh air was putrid. Especially driving into the morning Sun, The odor would cool off at night and wake-up with the bright morning Sun.
Actually we cleaned it out at the RATS Rally.
Old 04-30-2009

My coach has been stored in a pole barn all winter.

I decided to try the Decon method this winter, and placed bait around the interior perimeter of the barn and next to the tires.

At first, I thought it was working perfectly. No signs of mice in the coach, but the Decon was slowly disappearing.

I put out a second set of bait, and was quite pleased to know that I had taken care of the mouse problem.

Then, I noticed something really odd. I happened upon a clump of our dog's poop. IT WAS GREEN.

The stupid dog had eaten the bait! Of course, I immediately pulled all the bait from the barn, and called the vet.

Long story short, I learned my lesson on that Dcom stuff. The dog survivied, but after removing the bait from the barn, I ended up with a couple of unwanted 4 legged rodents in the coach! Lucky for me, one was trapped in an empty trash can (climbed in, but couldn't get back out), and the other one was caught by a glue trap. I also found a 'lovely' nest in the inverter/charger bay!
Linden, Michigan
Old 04-30-2009
Former Bird Owner

Rodents can be a problem. Dryer sheets are unlikely to be much of a deterrent (and as noted is useful as bedding material for the buggers). Traps and cats are pretty good, though imperfect control methods.

Do your best to seal up openings as best you can. My coach is pretty clean underneath, with only the dryer vent (covered with a heavy screen) and openings for the water and sewer service providing access. The OEM plugs were long gone, but I was able to find some bits and pieces in the plumbing department to make up a plug for the 2" water hose opening. The 5 inch sewer hose opening doesn't seem to match the threads on the PVC pipe plug I tried, but a bolt, wingnut, and a couple pieces of 1/4" plywood cut to size does the trick. (OK for storage, hardly worth the effort on the road.)

I've also renewed the rubber weather seals on all the doors to the basement and on the main door to the coach.

So far, I've not had any rodent (or insect) incursions during storage. On the road, last fall, we had some really tiny ant-like critters. A search did not turn up an obvious source, but they seemed to have gotten behind a cabinet or wall panel. Since we'd moved several times following my discovery, we had left the external source behind. Spraying them with rubbing alcohol (wherever they appeared) seemed to eliminate them after a week or so.

As for the dryer sheets -- they ARE useful in keeping crocodiles out of the coach. I've used them regularly and we have never had a crocodile incursion. <grin>

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com