Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-23-2009

Default Cummins 8.3 Water pump replacement

Looks like it is time to replace the engine waterpump on my 94 BMC 37' Cummins 6CTA8.3. It is dripping coolant from the shaft to the pulley. Drips about 1 drip every 1-2 seconds. I fell very little movement when I grab and "wiggle" the non-running pulley.

The job looks easy, remove serpantine belt, drain coolant, 3 bolts on waterpump, refill coolant with venting top of block for a good fill. Waterpump is at rear of engine with good access from rear hatch.

I don't think I will do this myself though. Problem is draining and storing/recycling the coolant, and doing it in a campground with likely concerns by campground staff and maybe other campers.

I'm on the Columbia river between Quincy and Wenatchee WA.

My game plan is to move tommorrow to near Leavenworth WA and camp 4 nights, then move to Monroe WA on the west coast Mon 27 July for 4 nights. Total miles will be 150. Near Monroe is a shop I found on the internet: http://www.dynamicdiesel.com/

Question: how much risk do you guys think I am taking by driving 150 miles before replacing the pump? Any other comments?
Full timer, USA
Old 07-23-2009

After the engine warms and builds pressure in the cooling system your drip rate will increase. By how much? Who knows. If I had a choice I would fix it or have the parts necessary to repair it on the side of the road.
Bellefonte, AR
Old 07-23-2009

Hi Rick,

The current drip rate was hot with pressure, checked in a rest stop with motor running. I am considering seeing if NAPA carries the pump, to buy and take with me just in case. I wonder how quality varies from NAPA to a Cummins direct pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
After the engine warms and builds pressure in the cooling system your drip rate will increase. By how much? Who knows. If I had a choice I would fix it or have the parts necessary to repair it on the side of the road.
Full timer, USA
Old 07-23-2009

If buying a reman I would suspect NAPA would be on a par with Cummins. NAPA and Cummins farms their remans out. The problem is going to be the core. They both will want a buidable core on a reman pump. The core charge could be costly.
Bellefonte, AR
Old 07-23-2009

Default Engine Water Pump Replacement

Dan,

When I was out that way I needed the usual oil, coolant etc changes and found a place in Boring OR near Portland that sells and services Blue Bird school buses. It was Western Bus and here is their website

http://www.westernbus.com/

I asked them too look it over while in there and they found I had a leak in the rear output shaft seal and replaced that as well. The total bill seemed reasonable and I can't remember what the labor charge was, but it didn't seem out of line.

I don't know if they can work on the Cummins 300 or not, all my stuff was chassis related (and oil and coolant changes) but if you are anywhere close you could give them a call and check. I was very impressed with their people and they way they did the work.

The service manager I worked with was Ryan Niska so I'd talk to him.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Best,
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages (Easier for us).

Old 07-23-2009

Dan,

A couple of thoughts for you. At the drip rate you've got, you may not even drain the overflow tank in 150 miles, so coolant loss during the trip probably isn't a real concern. Does it drip more when it's cold? If it drips less, then you should be able to loosen the radiator cap to it's catch point (still on, but loose) and NOT build any pressure to speak of and decrease the coolant loss. The real worry comes in whether the seal will hold or completely let go during the trip. Do ya feel lucky? Also, if the bushing/bearing is going in the pump, you may lose the pump shaft completely, which will create a really big mess beyond what a simple leaking seal will do.

So, the next thought is that you only need to drain enough coolant out to get below the level of the pump, you do not need to drain the entire system! I'll bet a 5 gal pail will hold everything. Since you access from inside, the only thing sitting outside would be the pail. Get a bunch of newspapers and some cheap kitty litter (it's a GREAT absorbant for oils/coolants/etc). Spread the paper out under the area of the pump and put the kitty litter on it to catch the (hopefully) small amount of coolant that will escape when you pull the pump. Then just change it and be done with it. Roll the litter up in the newspapers and dispose of it, refill your coolant and top it off. It shouldn't be too bad to do without making any mess.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-28-2009

Water pump repair notes for Cummins 8.3:

Couldn't get scheduled in with the local repair shop before my next relocation day, so I replaced the water pump today. I am backed up to a fence with heavy vegetation and good side to side distance from neighboring sites in the campground. I bought 2ea 5 gallon buckets and drained about 4 gallons coolant into each from the radiator petcock.

A 3/8 drive or extension bar releaves pressure on the serpentine belt to move it out of the way. A 13mm and a 10 mm socket to remove the 3 bolts holding the waterpump on. A convincer to break the waterpump loose off the block. Only a tiny bit of drainage from the pump/housing. Old pump was seeping from weep hole, some side movement on the pulley shaft, and bearings didn't sound so good either.

NAPA reconditioned pump looks the same as orig, $137, plus core charge $36, tax, 2 5 gal buckets, 1 gallon coolant, right about $200. I returned the core and have $36 back.

I vented the system with the "T" fitting at top back of the block that the lines from the surge tank go to. I pulled the hose off the surge and refilled the original coolant back in from the hose until full there, then reattached "T" and surge hose to top up the surge tank. Lost about 1/2 gal (max) in the job, refilled from new coolant jug.

No leaks cool under no pressure, remains to be seen when I hit the road Thurs and reach op temp and pressure.

As a teenager, I had horrible experiences with reman waterpumps, and vowed only to buy new pumps since then. Sure hope this puppy works out, but I'm keeping the 5 gal buckets for a couple of weeks.

NAPA part no RW6077X .
Full timer, USA
Old 07-28-2009

Good work! Typically the reman water pumps are better than the new because they don't sit as long. Glad it was pretty easy. I'll bet you'll never use those buckets. Did your neighbors even know you replaced your pump?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-28-2009

One guy came over to talk - because he saw the military decals on the car and coach. He just wanted to BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Good work! Typically the reman water pumps are better than the new because they don't sit as long. Glad it was pretty easy. I'll bet you'll never use those buckets. Did your neighbors even know you replaced your pump?
Full timer, USA
Old 07-28-2009

Great Job, Dan!!

Thanks for the update. I'll bet it all works well for you.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad