Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > FC Parts List

FC Parts List List your parts here, that are unique to the FC model 'Birds.

Site Search:

Old 01-19-2008
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Default CAT 3208 BELT NUMBERS and their PROPER ADJUSTMENT

Caterpillar 3208 belts part numbers and location, plus adjustment procedures. The sequence of photos and instructions start with this one and continue, by clicking on the URL link http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/84724286 and then click on NEXT at the right of each photo for more information.

There is a particular way to adjust the tension on the fan drive/pulley belts, on a Cat 3208NA engine. First insert the four mounting bolts, through the sliding plate bracket that is part of the Fan/Pulley assembly and into the front mounting holes on the engine, making sure that the top adjusting bolt/locking nut on the sliding assembly are loose. Tighten the mounting bolts enough so that the assembly will still slide up, or down with just a little resistance. Now get all of the belts in place, then adjust the sliding assembly adjustment bolt on top until the correct tension on the belts is attained, then tighten the mounting bolts up in the sliding bracket, then when you think that they are tight, loosen the top adjusting bolt/locking nut back out a little and then you will be able to tighten the mounting bolts up quite a bit more, when this is all done, tighten the sliding assembly top adjusting bolt back up snuggly and with the locking nut that is on the adjusting bolt, lock it in place. Make sure that you always tighten fan belt assembly before the power steering and then retighten all of the belts after 100 miles.

If you just quit after the first bolt tightening phase, it will leave the sliding bracket at a slight angle and can cause the belts to come loose, or in a worse case scenario, it will do what mine did and loosen all of the mounting bolts back up and out and the fan will drop, I was Lucky, I heard it when it happened after I had left Randy's.
There was a well meaning person there that had never owned an FC model 'Bird with a 3208NA and he wanted to help Randy and he didn't do the adjustment correctly. I managed to fix it temporarily in a Wal Mart parking lot in Orlando and get it back to Randy's at night when it was cool, so that Randy could rebuild the Horton Fan clutch, as it had broken off the air line when it dropped and the fan would not engage at all.
Since this bolt tightening sequence was performed again after the Horton rebuild, I have never had the assembly come loose, or loose a belt again. I do not have the belt for the airconditioner compressor, as the compressor has been removed entirely.

1982 FC35RB 'BIRD CATERPILLAR 3208NA BELTS
UPDATED SEPTEMBER 2009

BELTS ARE LISTED IN ORDER OF INSTALLATION FIRST TO LAST INSTALLED. THE NEW GATES FLEETRUNNER NUMBERS ARE NOW LISTED

THE AIRCONDITIONER COMPRESSOR HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM MY 'BIRD.
THE POWER STEERING PUMP HAS ONLY A ONE GROOVE PULLEY.

GATES/NAPA BELTS

WATER PUMP / CRANK / IDLER PULLEY
(2 BELTS) NAPA XL25-9490
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9490HD

POWER STEERING PUMP / CRANK
(1 BELT) NAPA XL 25-9370
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9370HD

ALTERNATOR / AIR COMPRESSOR / WATER PUMP
(2 BELTS) NAPA XL25-9600
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9600HD

HORTON AIR CLUTCH FAN / CRANK
(2 BELTS) NAPA XL25-9455
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9455HD

V-BELT ADJUSTING TOOL
THIS TOOL IS EASY TO MAKE IT CONSISTS OF A 5-1/2 INCH AND A 4 INCH LENGTHS OF THREADED ROD WITH 2 WASHERS AND 2 NUTS PER ROD ARE INSERTED INTO 1/2 INCH HOLES DRILLED IN EACH 2” X 2” X 4” BLOCK OF WOOD, ADJUSTER IS SET BETWEEN THE PULLEYS AND NUTS ARE ADJUSTED OUTWARD UNTIL THE DESIRED POUNDS OF TENSION FOR THE V-BELT ARE MET.
The adjuster when in use should be centered more than is shown in the picture, as it was just set in there for display purposes.The holes are offset so the block of wood can be turned to align with the pulley that are being adjusted.
I got the idea from Tom Warner see his quote below and this tool is very easy to make, it consists of two (2) pieces of wood 2"X 2" X4" in size with a 1/2" hole drilled through them and then a length of threaded rod inserted through the holes with two washers and nuts placed in the middle, the adjuster is then placed between the pulleys and the nuts are adjusted outward to increase the tension on the V-Belts. The adjuster when in use should be centered more than is shown in my picture in the link above, as it was just set in there for display purposes.

Originally Posted by warbucks13477
But I would NEVER use a tire iron to adjust the V belts on my coach. I use a simple tool that I made out of some oak and a threaded rod to adjust the alternator V belts etc and a $10 tool ( Oh my goodness did I break the $40 rule for buying a tool?) to read the correct tension on the V belt that I bought from NAPA. Its called a Krikit. Why do I buy more tools to adjust the simple V belt? Because it stops me from over tightening the belt and ruining the alternator bearings or not tightening them enough and either throwing a V belt of hearing them squeal. Yes I have learned from a lot of years of playing with tools its easier to buy the right tool the first time. Tom Warner

KRIKET V-BELT TENSION TOOL pdf Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman
Bill, I just replaced all of the V-Belts on my CAT 3208NA engine in my 'Bird with Gates Fleetrunner Belts and for the first time instead of just going by feel like I have done in the past, I'm going to use a NAPA V-Belt Tension Gauge Item#: NBHKR1 and I want to set the tension on the belts properly, Eric Johnson has created this PDF file CATERPILLAR 3208 V BELT TENSION DATA.pdf showing his adjusted belt tensions on a CAT 3208, I was wondering if you have any different suggestions for V-Belt tensions for this engine and if there are any other tips about using the NAPA V-Belt Tension Gauge? I believe that you have used this tool.

Thanks, John

-------------------------------------------------------

Yes , some experience, 6 years ago when I was a newbie, I used the tool and would send one to friends who helped me. Can not remember who, But Jeff Miller, for one , and MH has used the tool.
It is controversial , Google Krikit or Napakr1 or gates Krikit. Lots of forum info, it is used for Porsche & maybe Subaru belts. The mfg, tool cost over $400.00.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=164646

Eric's reading are with a different tool a BANDO TENSION GAUGE , so the numbers are not relevant. With the Krikit, it must be the 30 to 150 pound gage, They come in different colors , mine is Yellow.
I use 90 to 120 pounds for new and 70 to 90 pounds for used belts or normal running tension.
Krikit requires a slow steady even finger pressure.
This is usually about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deflection at mid point of the belt, this is tricky because of the various distance or length between pulleys.
My belts have over 25,000 miles, they look good & I hesitate to change them because they have been good to me, I carry the spare set.
As you know well, the important issue is the water pump fan / assembly adjustment.

Bill 88 FC Michigan

HOW TO PROPERLY ADJUST THE BELTS ON A CAT 3208NA.pdf (9.3 KB)

CAT 3208 IDLER PULLEY BELT TIGHTENER DRAWING.jpg (53.0 KB)

CAT 3208 FAN DRIVE TIGHTENER DRAWING.jpg (51.2 KB)

CATERLILLAR 3208 V BELT TENSION DATA..pdf (38.0 KB)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT 3208 FAN DRIVE TIGHTENER DRAWING.jpg
Views:	4023
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	40   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT 3209 IDLER PULLEY BELT TIGHTENER DRAWING.jpg
Views:	5036
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	41  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CATERLILLAR 3208 V BELT TENSION DATA.pdf (38.0 KB, 815 views)

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11

Last edited by iamflagman; 05-24-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-28-2009

I just replaced all of the V-Belts on my CAT 3208NA engine in my 'Bird with Gates Fleetrunner Belts and for the first time instead of just going by feel like I have done in the past, I'm going to use a NAPA V-Belt Tension Gauge Item#: NBHKR1 and I want to set the tension on the belts properly, Eric Johnson has created this PDF file showing his adjusted belt tensions on a CAT 3208, I was wondering if anybody has any different suggestions for V-Belt tensions for this engine and if there are any other tips about using the NAPA V-Belt Tension Gauge?

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > FC Parts List > CAT 3208 BELT NUMBERS and their PROPER ADJUSTMENT > CATERLILLAR 3208 V BELT TENSION DATA.pdf

Thanks for any help,

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-29-2009

I bought one of them large dollar OTC belt tension gages from the tool truck. The final settings resulted in a "feel" much tighter than I was using in the past out of fear for my accessory bearings. Got the Gates greenies on the toter, 5000 miles, no adjustments needed so far.
Germantown, Wisc.
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/home/mhohnstein/index
Old 06-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
I bought one of them large dollar OTC belt tension gages from the tool truck. The final settings resulted in a "feel" much tighter than I was using in the past out of fear for my accessory bearings. Got the Gates greenies on the toter, 5000 miles, no adjustments needed so far.
Thanks Mike!

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-30-2009

Once I found out the recommended V-Belt tension, I got busy adjusting them, but there were two in particular that due to my lack of upper body strength from long term transplant medication, I just couldn't put enough leverage to get the correct setting, so I thought back and remembered, I believe it was Tom Warner that had come up with a V-Belt adjusting tool, I couldn't find the pictures of it, as I believe that it was on one of the old forums, but although his was a lot nicer than this one, the principle of the ideas are the same.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > Caterpillar 3208 Related Files > V-BELT ADJUSTING TOOL

This tool is very easy to make, it consists of two (2) pieces of wood 2"X 2" X4" in size with a 1/2" hole drilled through them and then a length of threaded rod inserted through the holes with two washers and nuts placed in the middle, the adjuster is then placed between the pulleys and the nuts are adjusted outward to increase the tension on the V-Belts. The adjuster when in use should be centered more than is shown in the picture, as it was just set in there for display purposes.

http://www.pbase.com/image/114466824

Late model FC's need thinner blocks for the power steering pulley and the crankshaft pulley;

Quote:
Finn has a lot more space for blocks, we have the bigger P/S pump & double pulley, this is a good thing. Check the belt part numbers, maybe try a larger belt. And Yes it is 2 1/2 inches, found the blocks in my tool box. I have used them at least a dozen times working on FC's (note in Bill's picture the blocks have the bolt placed through them for storage, they should be orientated similar tho the other blocks and threaded rod, washers and nuts.)

Attached Thumbnails

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V-BELT ADJUSTING TOOLsm.jpg
Views:	9393
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	2288  

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11

Last edited by iamflagman; 08-31-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2009

Default V-Belt Adjusting Tool "Update"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Once I found out the recommended V-Belt tension, I got busy adjusting them, but there were two in particular that due to my lack of upper body strength from long term transplant medication, I just couldn't put enough leverage to get the correct setting, so I thought back and remembered, I believe it was Tom Warner that had come up with a V-Belt adjusting tool, I couldn't find the pictures of it, as I believe that it was on one of the old forums, but although his was a lot nicer than this one, the principle of the ideas are the same.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > Caterpillar 3208 Related Files > V-BELT ADJUSTING TOOL

This tool is very easy to make, it consists of two (2) pieces of wood 2"X 2" X4" in size with a 1/2" hole drilled through them and then a length of threaded rod inserted through the holes with two washers and nuts placed in the middle, the adjuster is then placed between the pulleys and the nuts are adjusted outward to increase the tension on the V-Belts. The adjuster when in use should be centered more than is shown in the picture, as it was just set in there for display purposes.

I have updated the dimensions of the V-Belt Adjustment Tool to reflect what it has to be in order to also work an the Fan pulley. The change is the block of wood is now 2" X 2" X 4" and the long threaded rod will also work on the Fan pulley adjustment.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-01-2009

For those of us with a longer span to work on- I'm thinking about the AC compressor on my S60. It's a long ways from any other pulley. I'll bet you could use 2 pieces of all thread, one on each end of the wood block, and go a LONG ways across the engine to tighten a belt up.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
1982 FC35RB 'BIRD CATERPILLAR 3208NA BELTS
UPDATED APRIL 2007

BELTS ARE LISTED IN ORDER OF INSTALLATION FIRST TO LAST INSTALLED. THE NEW GATES FLEETRUNNER NUMBERS ARE NOW LISTED

THE AIRCONDITIONER COMPRESSOR HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM MY 'BIRD.
THE POWER STEERING PUMP HAS ONLY A ONE GROOVE PULLEY.

GATES/NAPA BELTS

WATER PUMP / CRANK / IDLER PULLEY
(2 BELTS) NAPA XL25-9490
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9490HD

POWER STEERING PUMP / CRANK
(1 BELT) NAPA XL 25-9370
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9370HD

ALTERNATOR / AIR COMPRESSOR / WATER PUMP
(2 BELTS) NAPA XL25-9600
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9600HD

HORTON AIR CLUTCH FAN / CRANK
(2 BELTS) NAPA XL25-9455
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9455HD

There is a particular way to adjust the tension on the fan drive/pulley belts, on a Cat 3208NA engine. First insert the four mounting bolts, through the sliding plate bracket that is part of the Fan/Pulley assembly and into the front mounting holes on the engine, making sure that the top adjusting bolt/locking nut on the sliding assembly are loose. Tighten the mounting bolts enough so that the assembly will still slide up, or down with just a little resistance. Now get all of the belts in place, then adjust the sliding assembly adjustment bolt on top until the correct tension on the belts is attained, then tighten the mounting bolts up in the sliding bracket, then when you think that they are tight, loosen the top adjusting bolt/locking nut back out a little and then you will be able to tighten the mounting bolts up quite a bit more, when this is all done, tighten the sliding assembly top adjusting bolt back up snuggly and with the locking nut that is on the adjusting bolt, lock it in place. Make sure that you always tighten fan belt assembly before the power steering and then re-tighten all of the belts after 100 miles.

If you just quit after the first bolt tightening phase, it will leave the sliding bracket at a slight angle and can cause the belts to come loose, or in a worse case scenario, it will do what mine did and loosen all of the mounting bolts back up and out and the fan will drop, I was Lucky, I heard it when it happened after I had left Randy's.

There was a well meaning person there that had never owned an FC model 'Bird with a 3208NA and he wanted to help Randy and he didn't do the adjustment correctly. I managed to fix it temporarily in a Wal Mart parking lot in Orlando and get it back to Randy's at night when it was cool, so that Randy could rebuild the Horton Fan clutch, as it had broken off the air line when it dropped and the fan would not engage at all.
Since this bolt tightening sequence was performed again after the Horton rebuild, I have never had the assembly come loose, or loose a belt again. I do not have the belt for the airconditioner compressor, as the compressor has been removed entirely.

For more photos of the proper adjustment procedure, go to http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/84724286 and then click on "NEXT" at the right of each page for more information.

For further information about proper belt tension go to; CATERLILLAR 3208 V BELT TENSION DATA.pdf

For another drawing about the fan drive tightener parts, go to; CAT 3208 FAN DRIVE TIGHTENER DRAWING.jpg

For another drawing of the idler Pulley tightener parts, go to; CAT 3209 IDLER PULLEY BELT TIGHTENER DRAWING.jpg

I have updated the information in the quoted post to include the Gates Fleetrunner belt numbers.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-28-2010

Default belt tension

John Finn, great article on the belt tensioning. Very informative. Any way to convert the Bando numbers to lbs? I bought the Gates krikit IV device which seems really cool, but only works in pounds. My parts books does not(?) seem to show proper tension data. Can anyone help?
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler "RDTOAD"
207-939-3816
Old 01-28-2010
Administrator

I have the tool but have not used it . Before I had the tool I did it by feel and several years later all is well.

But in my notes with the tool I have listed, 90 to 120# for new belts &
for used belts 70 to 90 #.
Gates states that belts are manufactured to close tolerances, and no need for matched sets, So use Gates Green stripe or Gates Fleetrunner or NAPA Gold is also made by Gates.