Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 02-06-2010
spirit

Smile Airing up tires with onboard compressor and other portable devises

Does anyone use the Birds air system to inflate the tires?
If so please give me particulars (hose type, length, ends) so i can get a hose with the appropriate ends.

Thanks
Ted

Last edited by iamflagman; 02-06-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Modified title to reflect thread content
Old 02-06-2010

Default Tire Airing

I use the compressor on my BMC to inflate my tires all the time. I bought an inflation hose 25 feet long (not the cheapest one but one as I recall that goes to 300 lbs and is lightweight, I think it is poly urethane), put on the standard ends and use it with a long straight stem tire inflation tool so I can push it on the valves pointing out and pull it on the valves pointing back. Don't get one of those cheap curled air hoses (usually yellow) ; they kink a lot and I didn't feel they were very safe. I found a mostly straight end inflator tool is better than one of those more angled ends because I have to go back through the holes in the wheel and the angled ones won't go on to the valves pointing back at that angle very well.

I inflate the fronts to 110 lbs cold and the rears to 100 lbs cold. Sometimes my wife gets inside and hits the brakes so the air pumps up again. It sometimes takes awhile for me to get to 110 lbs if we don't do that.

I have Michelin tires with Pressure Pros and find I don't have to add air often. I don't use any extensions and they stayed aired up right on the money usually for 3 months or more. If the weather gets colder I sometimes add a little more. I have a Haltec Tire pressure gauge and although not cheap (as I recall about $40) it works great for those high pressures. There may be cheap good ones but I couldn't find one.
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages (Easier for us).

Old 02-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
I use the compressor on my BMC to inflate my tires all the time. I bought an inflation hose 25 feet long (not the cheapest one but one as I recall that goes to 300 lbs and is lightweight, I think it is poly urethane), put on the standard ends and use it with a long straight stem tire inflation tool so I can push it on the valves pointing out and pull it on the valves pointing back. Don't get one of those cheap curled air hoses (usually yellow) ; they kink a lot and I didn't feel they were very safe. I found a mostly straight end inflator tool is better than one of those more angled ends because I have to go back through the holes in the wheel and the angled ones won't go on to the valves pointing back at that angle very well.

I inflate the fronts to 110 lbs cold and the rears to 100 lbs cold. Sometimes my wife gets inside and hits the brakes so the air pumps up again. It sometimes takes awhile for me to get to 110 lbs if we don't do that.

I have Michelin tires with Pressure Pros and find I don't have to add air often. I don't use any extensions and they stayed aired up right on the money usually for 3 months or more. If the weather gets colder I sometimes add a little more. I have a Haltec Tire pressure gauge and although not cheap (as I recall about $40) it works great for those high pressures. There may be cheap good ones but I couldn't find one.
Lee Hi there , were do you connect to ? Your not getting 110 out of that 12v compressor are you

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
Old 02-06-2010

I run 125 psi in my front tires and got tired trying find more than 110 psi when I'm away from home. Now I carry it with me. I have installed a Haskle gas booster and regulator in my roadside utility basement compartment. I can use the engine or the 110 VAC auxillary compressor to rapidly fill to about 110 psi. The booster will then bring the pressure up to 125 psi in just a couple of minutes.
Old 02-06-2010

The air hose fitting on the bus is larger than the fitting on my air hose, what's up with that?
Retired
Fulltimer
Old 02-06-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit View Post
Does anyone use the Birds air system to inflate the tires?
If so please give me particulars (hose type, length, ends) so i can get a hose with the appropriate ends.

Thanks
Ted

Ted,

I use the engines air compressor to add air pressure to the tires on both my 'Bird and trailer, so I carry enough length of 3/8" 300# burst pressure air hose to reach all the way back to the farthest tire from the air female coupler in the house battery compartment on my 'Bird.

I use this type of male and female fittings;

When purchasing the air hose keep in mind that some hoses can get very stiff in cold temperatures, making it a little difficult to coil back up for storage, usually the less expensive hoses are harder to coil up.

I also use a grooved dual foot tire pressure inflater, that can be pushed straight onto the tires valve stem and then slightly tilted down and it holds itself onto the valve stem threads, then removing it is done easily by slightly twisting the inflater clockwise and it comes loose, this saves me from having to hold the inflater on the valve stem for an extended period.

I also have a smaller pancake type air compressor like this one below mounted inside my trailer that also has a maximum output of 150 psi that doesn't exceed the 'Birds air pressure gauge maximum and it also doesn't start to build air pressure until below 125 psi, yet it still handles airing of the tires and other on the road uses very well through an external female air coupler mounted on the tongue of the trailer.

It can be powered from a heavy duty shore power cord and plug on the trailer on one end and the buddy plug off of the generator, so I can leave it attached to the 'Bird if needed. When stopped or here at the homebase it can be plugged into other shore power sources if it is needed and used to air up the 'Bird from my other external air hookup on the passengers side, this also will air up the suspension.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DUAL FOOT TIRE INFLATER.jpg
Views:	1492
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	4111   Click image for larger version

Name:	AIR CHUCK GROOVES.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	4112   Click image for larger version

Name:	EXTERNAL AIR SOURCE SM.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	4113  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!!
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-06-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnxmas View Post
The air hose fitting on the bus is larger than the fitting on my air hose, what's up with that?

Please post photos of both of the fittings, so we can determine what you are dealing with.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!!
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-06-2010

Our air hook-up is in a bay on the driver side.
the female fitting is the standard size, But it does not look like John's picture, 3/8 rubber high pressure hose , some of the cheaper hose cracks & will not coil, tooooo stiff, especially when cold.
Old 02-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnxmas View Post
I had the same problem with the BB QD. It is a little larger than all of the QD fittings on my hoses and air tools. When my local hardware supplier couldn't find any male fitting that would match up with the BB fitting, I changed it out so everything I use has compatible QD fittings.
Old 02-07-2010

John, bay door FROOOZE, can't take photo now. I thank that i will do what Dan did and change out the fitting.
Retired
Fulltimer