Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 07-18-2010
Just the Driver

Default DDEC. no power ???

Hey guys,
A couple of years ago in had an issue with the DDEC not getting power and found the problem to be a bosch relay near the ECM that is located in the bottom of the closet in my 88 WB. I located and replaced the relay and everything was good to go.

This afternoon when coming home the engine quit. pulled to the side of the road and the engine would turn over but would not start. No check engine lights when the key was turned on. I went back and got no voltage reading coming to the three breakers at the DDEC ECM. after getting out the wiring diagram and based on it the power to these three relays came directly from the batteries I made a jumper from a 12 volt supply to the power side of the breakers and engine starts and runs good. Made it home fine.

My question is this, even through the diagram indicates that the power comes from the battery, does this come from the ign switch. The bosch relay is not in the diagram. I am looking for a place to start looking for power loss. The engine turns over, and now that I have jumped power to the buss on the power side of the breakers the check engine lights come on with the key and the engine runs.

Any thoughts ????

Bryan and Karen Altier
Former Wanderlodge Owner
2008 American Tradition 42
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2011 Ram 3500
Greenville, SC
Old 07-18-2010

Hi Bryan,

Randy talks about a resettable 30 amp fuse. There are several , on the back wall, one has heavier gage wire, it fuses the DD, check this fuse for corrosion.
This helped a fellow Birder on the road, when we were all at MB this Spring.
If you can not find it Randy will give further help.
Old 07-18-2010
Forum owner

its a circuit breaker,mounted in the engine compartment,at least it is on the 91's and newer.
It will be the only one with 10 Gauge wires coming and going out of it.
Its mounted on the right side bulkhead toward the front of the batteries.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-19-2010
Just the Driver

Thanks Randy, I will look for it tonight. This is the one that you bypass by moving the power side over to the loan side and just use it as a connection point. Correct ???

Thanks I will let you know.

Bryan and Karen Altier
Former Wanderlodge Owner
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2011 Ram 3500
Greenville, SC
Old 07-19-2010
Forum owner

yes ,bypass the breaker.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-19-2010
Just the Driver

Ok, just came in from cheking the bird. First of all when I got home I disconnected my bypass wire when I parked the coach. Tonight I was in hopes of locating the CB as described and finding that that I was loosing voltage across it.
Before I went looking I wanted to make sure that we had a no start situation, wrong the bus started right up. So much for checking the voltage loss. So I figured I could disconnect the CB and if it did not start at least I would know which wires I needed to check when it quit next time.

I went to the bulkhead just ahead of the batteries which has a cover, removed the cover and found 3 large shunts where all the batteries come together. A bosch relay ( unknown what it went to as it did not "click" when the ign was turned on.) I did notice that there appears to have been a single CB there that had been removed and no wires that appeared to have been connected to it.

Right now the plan is to look further at the three CB's at the DDEC ECM and make sure the bosch relay pulls the power in with the ignition. From there if I can't locate the power source run a new wire from a good 12V power point.

Any other ideas ??????

Bryan and Karen Altier
Former Wanderlodge Owner
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2011 Ram 3500
Greenville, SC
Old 07-20-2010

Default DDECII schematic

John uploaded a DDECII master wiring schematic for a 89. I'm not sure if it would be helpful. Does your 88 have a DDEC I ? In case anyone needs it.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ingDIAGRAM.pdf
89 PT40
Old 07-20-2010

Bryan,

A 1988 was probably the early DD, you may not have the Randy resettable fuse, or breaker, Next time it goes out check the dash for other non power items, this could be an ignition switch circuit problem, cannon plug, power relay, switch etc. Intermittents are the most fun
Old 07-20-2010
Just the Driver

Bill you are right. Bob came over last night that when it started we just looked at each other and said "can't fix what is not broken" there does not seem to be anything else effected.

Bryan and Karen Altier
Former Wanderlodge Owner
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2011 Ram 3500
Greenville, SC
Old 07-21-2010

anyone of the start batteries can cause an issue with the ddec. on commercial truck aps where there are several batteries the computers are fused at the battery bank with inline fuses off only one of the many batteries. if that battery has a short it can cause a problem with the computer but the starter and everything else will work fine since they are fused off of the combination of all batteries. look for a positive independent takeoff from one of the batteries and it may show the ddec power path.

think back to the days of blowing early car computers by jump-starting! that was around 84 to 90. the less influences that there is on the computer the better.

since the 88 has a single house engine battery bank, the inverter may also be causing some problem. Once I replaced all three start batteries in my 94pt-8v92 all the allison and ddac warning/code issues stopped.
on the 88 with only one bank, use of a low crank amp typical rv battery may not cut it when the amps are robbed spinning the engine at startup. I think you need to maintain all batteries in very good shape to run that 88 config. the crank amps addup with additional batteries (12v 500ca + 12v 500ca= 12v 1000ca) if all are putting out their rated capacities. I like the two bank set up in the 94 since there is a engineered requirement to have two styles of batteries ;start bank ;house bank.

I also dont think it is a good idea to rejuvenate maintenance free batteries by filling the secrete caps or buying recon units. often the lifecycle of the plates end when the fluids are depleted and one shorted battery powered by other good batteries turns into a torch.

I learned the advantage of glass fuses with issues like this. the failure clue doesn't reset itself with a blown glass fuse. if you replace the assumed cb with a glass fuse or a push button resettable, you may get closer to finding the problem.