Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-27-2010

Lightbulb Good Backup/Turn signal Cameras - Voyager or CabCam?

Need to find something for my parents coach but this is pretty much a generic process. Applies to any coach or even large tow vehicle. The existing B&W camera was toast. I know some people have gone with a home made setup involving wireless and X10 stuff or just low cost items from Frys or the like. Especially with 5th Wheels. I can't do this. It needs to be straight forward and idiot proof. Anyone has to be able to get behind the wheel and it just work.

I am looking on opinions on wired, off the shelf products of which I've found only a couple of good contenders that have (what I consider) basic required features:
  • 7" Color Monitor
  • IR Night capability
  • 3 cameras min
  • auto switching with turn signals

Products (in my basic order of preference at this point)
The RearviewSafety.com products look to be identical to the CabCam products and to me the 4UCam stuff looks "weak". Definitely light duty. So that leaves the Voyager and CabCam products. Anyone using either of these or better yet have used both that has a opinion or suggestions?

PS: I put this in a new thread as their are links and opinions everywhere but usually only espousing one single camera, or a budget build or worse those cheap license plate jobs. I'm hoping that by looking at all of the various ones it's easier for people to discuss and reach a decision on what best suits them and what ultimately are the better install-it-&-forget-it type systems.

Ken - Austin, Texas - keeping Mom on the road in her '94 34' Safari Serengeti
- 250hp Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbo Diesel (#6 fuel plate, straight pipe, 3K Gov Spring, Timing @14.25, Boost @21psi, Isspro gauges)

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 07-27-2010
Forum Moderator

Ken,

Check out Dennis Torres' thread Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues) > Back Up Camera

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!!
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-27-2010

Ken,

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, don't count on IR illumination.

-IR doesn't work well over long distances. Like the rear camera mounting position.
-If you mount the camera INSIDE the coach (where the original was), you will get severe glare from the IR lights. You'll need to disable them.

As for the cameras themselves, look for CCD cameras. You will get much better picture quality with them, but they cost a bit more.
The monitor is equally important. You need a high resolution monitor for detailed images. Can't skimp here either, or you'll regret it.

Just tryin' to help...

-Robert
Linden, Michigan
Old 07-27-2010

Hi Ken, I just finished an install of a 4 camera setup that was very easy, I bought it online on ebay from I think " leviathan holdings in Vegas. The basic 3 camera setup comes with a 7 inch monitor , a backup camera and 2 side cameras, it comes with all cables, and the harness has trigger wires that you hook up for reverse and turn signals. it has a 4 position screen where you can put one ,two three, or 4 cameras on the sreen at any time. The monitor has a menu for color correction. I can select right and left camera and have them on the split screen as I drive down the road and us them as super mirrors, I can supply monitor pictures if you need, Robert The three camera setup costs (I think) $299.00 and for the 5th wheel you can get a trailer connection cable that is basically a heavy duty spiral cord that will connect the rear camera on the 5th wheel to the tow vehicle.
87 PT-40
Old 07-27-2010

Robert Glover I know about the IR emitters behind the glass causing glare. Plan is to get a 4 camera capable system, buy one extra camera (no IR's) to go high behind the glass and mount the included one down low on the rear shooting straight back at eye level. Give precedence to the low one for all except low speed backing up duties or trailer hookup. As far as IR at night thats mostly for low speed maneuvering.

The Leviathan and Ramco Zone Defense stuff (not counting their camera-in-mirror product) looks nearly identical to the CabCam setup. It can be hard to tell as nobody except the Voyager product wants to actually tell you the brand! The CabCam/Leviathan/Zone Defense stuff is likely just one Chinese rebranding effort from what I can tell by looking at the pictures online. For all we know "they" may make the Voyager product as well.

I guess at this time I need to go deeper into the specs of the monitor and CCD Cameras to get to the real truth of each systems strengths and weaknesses. Oh, and then, now that we're pretty much down to the top 2 or so, there's pricing as well.

By all means Robert (either of you), upload some pictures of your install(s)... Would love to see them.

- 250hp Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbo Diesel (#6 fuel plate, straight pipe, 3K Gov Spring, Timing @14.25, Boost @21psi, Isspro gauges)

Last edited by Driver; 07-27-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2010

I hope these photos come out ok, I'm sure the equipment I have is Chinese rebranding but for the money involved I decided like you after close inspection of the competion they also seemed to be the same but at a higher price.I ran my cables down the upper drivers side chase behind the kitchen cabinets, really was pretty easy. The photo's don't show the 4th camera as I am loading my trailer for a trip and don't have it connected to the bus, the resolution is incredible on the monitor and cams, I have not tried the night vision yet as you mentioned mine will be limited use at night , but i will go out to the bus and try it tonight. the 7 inch monitor fit very well in the original space. regards, Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2428.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	6004   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2425.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	549.3 KB
ID:	6005   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2426.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	625.7 KB
ID:	6006   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2427.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	6007   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2429.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	627.8 KB
ID:	6008   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2430.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	541.5 KB
ID:	6009   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2431.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	6010  
87 PT-40
Old 11-09-2010

We wound up with the Voyager setup from RVCams.com. Sure it was a little more money but the options, the expertise and the specs were there. We went with CMOS cameras as the sun can really wash out LCD based ones. This weekend we ran the final line for the back camera. Also having RVCams swap it to black. The white one would be too inviting. Due to mounting it lower down on the black rear grille I'm waiting on some security screws so it doesn't walk off.

Old 11-09-2010

Default Backup camera

I put a CabCam in my bus. We have several of these things in different farm applications; combine, grape harvester etc. They are used in the agriculture world quite regularly and are available through several ag suppliers. They really work great and take the punishment of the farm well.

The camera in the bus had to have the infrared disabled due to a reflection on the glass. I took it apart and unplugged the LED's from the main board on the camera. It still works pretty good at night. However the ones on the combine work awesome. It just isn't an option with mounting it inside.

It supports multiple camera inputs and has trigger wires for them to activate or you can have it cycle automatically.

Its a really nice unit for the price. Mine is a wired unit. They also make wireless setup.

2000 Jeep Wrangler
Old 11-09-2010

For the upper downward (bumper look) camera we just did one of the cameras without the LEDs. With the one we ran wire for this weekend was for a rear normal view with the LEDs and a microphone. The Voyager also does all the angles, 4 inputs, split screen w/ as many as 4 views at once, auto scan etc... as well as a output to put it on a bigger tv.

They've really come a long way from the old security camera wired to the overhead tv or a tiny B&Wht 5" screen.

Old 11-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
For the upper downward (bumper look) camera we just did one of the cameras without the LEDs. With the one we ran wire for this weekend was for a rear normal view with the LEDs and a microphone. The Voyager also does all the angles, 4 inputs, split screen w/ as many as 4 views at once, auto scan etc... as well as a output to put it on a bigger tv.

They've really come a long way from the old security camera wired to the overhead TV or a tiny B&Wht 5" screen.
Neat stuff... I wanted to have a cam pointed midship forward and back wards to see rocks and curbs... under the bus... perhaps one looking for antifreeze hose blowout.... leaks etc

I thought up a cheap system... cheap USB camera's and this freeware program for my El cheepo laptop... can monitor many cameras... http://www.download32.com/luxriot-di...er-d32248.html
works great and can view/record it from anywhere... so it would be security and backup cams too? Could be fun? Any theft or incidence would be sent real-time by internet to home-base via monitor computer vise versa for home-base too... even if they get the puter you have a record of the theft captured realtime and sent home... they would never suspect they where on candid camera!
Keep an eye on things at home while away!