Wanderlodge Owners Group  

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-04-2011

Default Which RV Antifreeze WON'T Hurt a Septic tank

Howdy. WOGers.

Which RV antifreeze product WON"T harm a septic tank?

TNX,
Jack
Summering in Buena Vista, CO
Wintering in Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
Old 02-04-2011

I never knew that any of them caused problems with Septics. It is plumbing antifreeze and often ends up in septic systems. Just how much of this are you pouring into your tank?
Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I never knew that any of them caused problems with Septics. It is plumbing antifreeze and often ends up in septic systems. Just how much of this are you pouring into your tank?
I have not put any into the tanks because I don't want to harm our home parks' septic systems. That is the reason for my question. We are fulltimers and for the very first time, we got some ice in the black water tank.

TNX,
Jack
Summering in Buena Vista, CO
Wintering in Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandLiz View Post
I have not put any into the tanks because I don't want to harm our home parks' septic systems. That is the reason for my question. We are fulltimers and for the very first time, we got some ice in the black water tank.

TNX,
Jack
Jack,

Maybe a salt brine pored into the black tank...

Chuck
#3=2000 Wanderlodge LXI
#2=2004 M380 (SOLD)
#1=2000 Wanderlodge LXI(SOLD)
Bullhead City, AZ
La Habra Heights, CA
Old 02-04-2011

I used the pink stuff every year up north when winterizing. About four gallons into the household septic tank, never an issue. Says right on the label that it won't hurt septic tanks. It's not like the green stuff we use in our cars.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
ďI havenít been everywhere, but itís on my list.Ē
Old 02-05-2011
wranglergs

I was told by my rv mechanic that rv anti-freeze will kill the bacteria in the black tank. Okay to put it in the gray tank.
Old 02-05-2011
Resident Rookie

I have used windshield washer fluid (which is a lot cheaper than the pink stuff) when I spent a winter in Newark, NJ and also put it in all the p-traps as I left each morning. I could not trust the campground to have AC power continuously.
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglergs View Post
I was told by my rv mechanic that rv anti-freeze will kill the bacteria in the black tank. Okay to put it in the gray tank.
Is he then proposing you never dump you black tank, or especially flush it out? What he's suggesting is preposterous, your black tank is a "holding" tank, not a septic system designed to break the product down. I guess that's why he's a RV mechanic and not a plumber

Besides, the pink stuff is designed to be OK with septic systems and is even non-toxic to humans and animals.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
ďI havenít been everywhere, but itís on my list.Ē
Old 02-05-2011
wranglergs

I passed on the comment about his suggestion and he sent this back.'

"The bacteria found in human waste are known as friendly beneficial bacteria. These bacteria live to digest organic wastes and turning it into water and carbon dioxide. Since your back water holding tank receives human wastes that already contain bacteria, Mother Nature will decompose these wastes and turn them into carbon dioxide and water. That is, with adequate ventilation and time. However, there is a problem. Mother Nature does not always act as fast as we would like. She takes time to do her job properly. Most humans are impatient and want immediate results.

Remember, many RV Holding tank chemical treatments are designed to preserve wastes by killing or retarding bacterial action. To eliminate this problem, you should buy bacterial digestant products. They are the products that utilize Mother Nature's bacterial digestion process to eliminate organic wastes.

These new "third generation" products that are available today just speed up this natural decaying process safely and without odors or noxious gases. The basic principle behind how bacterial digestant products work is Mother Natures natural decomposition process. In nature, bacteria need time to adjust to their environment before they can reproduce and begin to digest organic wastes. However, for faster decomposition of organic wastes, the product you select must have the correct combination of bacteria, enzymes and essential nutrients necessary to quickly jump start the bacteria into the digestion process.

Today, there is a growing problem for Waste Water disposal systems that receive RV wastewater that contains bacteria killing chemicals. Many parks, campgrounds and dump stations are posting "No RV Chemical Dumping" signs at their facilities."

He also says "Not allowing tissue, paper, sanitary napkins or household cleaner products that contain bacteria killing chemicals in your black water holding tank will minimize the chances of clogging."

I think he was talking about green products, saving the earth, and all that silly stuff.
Old 02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglergs View Post
I think he was talking about green products, saving the earth, and all that silly stuff.
Everyone wants to save the earth and "go green" until they find out how much it will cost THEM. The whole Detroit area is nothing but a landfill. No one wants to clean it up they just want to cover it up. And I'm suppose to be concerned about where my 1 gal. of nontoxic rv liquid goes??? Sorry for the outburst! May not be the appropriate place or time, again sorry.