Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Generators (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   powertech bad bearing in generator 2 (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13462)

rwoody 05-16-2012 12:40 AM

powertech bad bearing in generator 2

10 Attachment(s)
ok i couldn't let all you guys have the fun by yourself

3720 hrs i felt vibration and shut it down

i just got time to work on it between my job and lack of motivation

but the coach is for sale and i hope to move it to the dallas ft worth weather ford:D:D:D area over the 24th weekend to help sell it@@@@@

notes from my buddy mike and KOS his self i didnt take off any hoses or electrical and see if you can change that bad bearing

got bearing changed tonite and will reinstall the next few days

2 hrs tops after work makes a long job but worth it

tips to keep in toolbox for this job are as follows

exciter needs a 2 bolt puller and the bolts are 1/4 28 and strip out so retap to 5/16 and off it came.

drill 2 holes before you cut off fan bracket so you can rebolt or weld it back

undo cut all brackets holding hoses under gen set and take out wires off rad gen set fan and it will have enuf slack

take off fuel lines and i missed the bracket holding fuel lines to body so gotta fix that tomorrow--need helper then you will not do that mistake but sitting in bobcat couldn't see the hangup

it has a spring that has to come off also from under the bus

after gen set is extended ---------retract gen set power cly so it will not be in the way

i have bearing numbers posted in pic for everyone to use--thanks to mike

total cost but some major labor is less than 100 bux as my exciter wasnt tore up and i think i caught it before total destruction @ it was making power when it quit@

pictures attached

rwoody 05-16-2012 12:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
also take off back end and then bearing is right there when reinstalling dont pinch the exciter wires as i did tonite in the dark and in a hurry here is what you get.....

new 32 sony in the 90 model attached pic..........love the room the 94 had under and the big fridge but love the wood and the old school look in the 90

40 grand difference:D in price lets me enjoy it a lot more when that 94 sells

its a great bus!@@@@@@@.

Rick 05-16-2012 12:57 AM

OK, your hurt. Blood proves it. I'd help if closer.

Robert Britton 05-16-2012 01:24 AM

Good job Woody! I think its impossible to do a job like that without drawing blood or breaking a finger or something...just ask Randy!

Randy Dupree 05-16-2012 07:53 AM

Tape that up with masking tape and get busy!
Good post woody,having a skid loader to get that gennie out was handy.
As Rick said,if we were there we would have helped you!

Turbokitty 05-16-2012 08:07 AM

The bearing in your "shift" key seems to be DOA too... Dang, my eyes are crossed;)

BTW, great write up, always glad to see a generator safely operational too in spite of the bite mark:)

Mallie Lennon 05-16-2012 08:08 AM

Yes,, You did a good job with pictures and description. I wish I knew is mine was replace when the engine was replaced. May pull mine out and ck.
Woody, you make it look almost easy.

Rick Davis 05-16-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon (Post 161098)
Woody, you make it look almost easy.

Woody missed his calling. He could make curing cancer and world hunger look easy. And do it after work, no less.

rwoody 05-16-2012 08:29 AM

Well the 2 hr a eve and in between dust storms makes this hard but i posted the tools and bolt sizes as that got me caught going to town after work 2 times and i was getting upset for lack of tools..............the bearing i cut off with grinder and big hammer and a pc of rebar i made into a chisel

Adapt -Overcome-Win we hope!

it can be done without droppin the antifreeze and all the elec wiring as a point we wanted to make

I bought the bearing on Ebay x2 for 23 dollars

I will do the 90 Genset asap as it has something wrong with it also!

I am not much on this lately as my J.O.B. is taking most of my time!

I do believe this should be a PM event at 3500 hrs for all these Powertech gen sets
The grease gets out of bearing over time and here we go~!

Turbokitty 05-16-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwoody (Post 161102)
Well the 2 hr a eve and in between dust storms makes this hard but i posted the tools and bolt sizes as that got me caught going to town after work 2 times and i was getting upset for lack of tools..............the bearing i cut off with grinder and big hammer and a pc of rebar i made into a chisel

Adapt -Overcome-Win we hope!

it can be done without droppin the antifreeze and all the elec wiring as a point we wanted to make

I bought the bearing on Ebay x2 for 23 dollars

I will do the 90 Genset asap as it has something wrong with it also!

I am not much on this lately as my J.O.B. is taking most of my time!

I do believe this should be a PM event at 3500 hrs for all these Powertech gen sets
The grease gets out of bearing over time and here we go~!

Woody did the old bearing seem dry or fretted? I am sure it is probably a sealed bearing but I wonder if some kind of resonance that far out from the crank is eating these bearings up??