Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Wire Question (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35065)

isp2952 10-17-2019 03:26 PM

Wire Question

1 Attachment(s)
While in my engine bay, I noticed this wire on firewall above the batteries. If you look slightly to the left of center hanging over the orange wire looms is a red wire with a blue butt splice but attached to nothing. Then to the upper right of the end of that wire is a similar wire. I assume they are supposed to be connected. But they don't look compatible, because the ends of the the wire sticking out from both ends is a single solid wire not the normal multiple braided type wire. In addition, which the photo may not be sharp enough to show is that single solid wire is flattened on both ends. It looks like maybe it was an in line fuse between them? I have no clue, but hoping someone will know.

Attachment 64723

gcyeaw 10-17-2019 04:07 PM

What is the device the wires go to: Looks like a big relay?
Is something not working?

isp2952 10-17-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcyeaw (Post 467504)
What is the device the wires go to: Looks like a big relay?
Is something not working?

Gardner, I assumed it was a relay or solenoid of some sort. I have no clue because I have to assume everything is working. I saw no gauges that are not working on the way down here. As far as any operational item that is not working, I don't think so only because I got down to the WOG Rally, with nothing noticed.

Dieselbird01 10-17-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isp2952 (Post 467501)
While in my engine bay, I noticed this wire on firewall above the batteries. If you look slightly to the left of center hanging over the orange wire looms is a red wire with a blue butt splice but attached to nothing. Then to the upper right of the end of that wire is a similar wire. I assume they are supposed to be connected. But they don't look compatible, because the ends of the the wire sticking out from both ends is a single solid wire not the normal multiple braided type wire. In addition, which the photo may not be sharp enough to show is that single solid wire is flattened on both ends. It looks like maybe it was an in line fuse between them? I have no clue, but hoping someone will know.

Attachment 64723

Hi Jim,

That solenoid is the Auxiliary Battery solenoid. It ties the engine and coach battery banks together. There should be a 6 Amp diode in line between those two wires. I have some with me if you need one.

isp2952 10-17-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 (Post 467510)
Hi Jim,

That solenoid is the Auxiliary Battery solenoid. It ties the engine and coach battery banks together. There should be a 6 Amp diode in line between those two wires. I have some with me if you need one.

Thanks John. Pete Haggins ran me down and told me that also. It made sense after he told me, because I had never needed that feature and a couple of times checking voltage on my meters it never made the needles move when put on combine. I decided to have Coachcraft crawl in there and fix it. I don't have the confidence in myself to not mess things up more than they already are. Thanks to all of you for your assistance. It is very much appreciated. :cool:

ChrisRasman 10-17-2019 10:21 PM

This thread prompted me to ask a question about a (perceived?) problem I may have. My dash , the AUX batt switch. The green LED is always on. I assume that should only come on when the switch is thrown and that relay pulls in. I posted a pic of my aux battery panel (I need to take it apart and R&R it bad) some time a go. I did not know a diode was in the picture so to speak. I guess my question is, should the green dash LED stay lit all the time no matter what I do with the switch?

Shahin 10-18-2019 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisRasman (Post 467526)
This thread prompted me to ask a question about a (perceived?) problem I may have. My dash , the AUX batt switch. The green LED is always on. I assume that should only come on when the switch is thrown and that relay pulls in. I posted a pic of my aux battery panel (I need to take it apart and R&R it bad) some time a go. I did not know a diode was in the picture so to speak. I guess my question is, should the green dash LED stay lit all the time no matter what I do with the switch?

I believe when the engine is running the green light stays on! When the engine is off then it should only be on if in combine position.

Rick 10-18-2019 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahin (Post 467533)
I believe when the engine is running the green light stays on! When the engine is off then it should only be on if in combine position.

Bingo!

ChrisRasman 10-18-2019 12:55 PM

Thanks all. I'll check that out.

DW SD 10-18-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahin (Post 467533)

What about when on shore power and charging? Doesn’t combiner relay measure voltage and combine under charge?
I believe this is how it works.