Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Comments and Questions about the Wanderlodge factory (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   New Neighbor (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10145)

GreenBird 05-23-2011 08:40 AM

New Neighbor

We have a new neighbor whose dad was (somehow) associated with BlueBird delivering coaches to dealerships. Claims to have invented the Dutch door hinged radiator for the FCs - said it was a $5k retrofit. Also said bus or RV was determined by which side of the road the new chassis went to and BBs weigh 1000 lb./ft. All interesting little tidbits. Only met the son so far - looking forward to meeting his dad.

BlueBird on the Horizon 05-23-2011 09:03 AM

Interesting you say that just weighed my BB on Sunday and it weigher 42500 and it was loaded down from my weekend trip.:)

mynavion 05-23-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBird (Post 109360)
We have a new neighbor whose dad was (somehow) associated with BlueBird delivering coaches to dealerships. Claims to have invented the Dutch door hinged radiator for the FCs - said it was a $5k retrofit. Also said bus or RV was determined by which side of the road the new chassis went to and BBs weigh 1000 lb./ft. All interesting little tidbits. Only met the son so far - looking forward to meeting his dad.

Makes sense. My understanding has been that the swing radiator was first offered at Holland Motor Homes in Michigan. In fact when I built mine, Holland was kind enough to send me a copy of their old literature so that I could replicate it. Somewhere I have a copy of their old ad for doing the "dutch door" installation....

GreenBird 05-23-2011 09:28 AM

I think it was Holland Motor Homes the gentleman worked for - will get more details and tidbits hopefully.

garynmike 08-17-2014 11:38 AM

Leonard, whatever did you find out about your neighbor? Any more interesting facts about BB's?

Bearmtnmartin 08-17-2014 12:40 PM

I have a brochure in the blue box from a company in Texas who apparantly specialized in swing radiator conversions. Brown industries or something. They also offered generator lifting for added clearance and some job involving increasing rear overhang clearance on the pushers. I assume they did our swing out conversion, and while it works, the welding and fab skills are only marginally better than what Bluebird displayed in welding the so called 10,000 pound receiver hitch on.

NH Bill 08-17-2014 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had not heard the term "Dutch Radiator Door" for some time. Mostly hear it referred to as a "swing radiator". However, I was cruising my files and noticed this document detailing the Dutch Radiator". Not sure if this is in the archives, but it might help someone. Glad we have one on our 83, did not come stock until 84 or 85 I think.

NH Bill

GreenBird 08-17-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynmike (Post 265238)
Leonard, whatever did you find out about your neighbor? Any more interesting facts about BB's?

I haven't seen him since that last post. I live way out in the boondocks and he was surprised to see our Bird. I remember he said BB owners were the nicest people he had ever met.

schamp 08-17-2014 06:16 PM

Swing radiators is nothing new. I had an early fifties greyhound
Scenicruiser that had one. About 1954 I think. Number
618 if memory serves.

dslcat 01-15-2016 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBird (Post 109360)

I Decided to see if I might learn a bit more about our swing out radiator upgrade, that came in our 82 FCSB. Fortunately, the first owners took care of this expensive must have upgrade before our purchase. Our rigs first owner purchased her from Holland M.H. and when they traded up at Holland we saw her and gave her a home. She went back there for service about once every two years (13 hr drive) and we always talked to Mike Mullenburg in the service department. His knowledge of and experience with the Wanderlodge was vast. If Holland created the swingout I bet Mike was involved.
Any chance his son is the new neighbor?