Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   New Parts In, Still No Heat (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27411)

JackandLiz 12-06-2016 07:41 PM

New Parts In, Still No Heat

1 Attachment(s)
:confused:Howdy.
Jack and friend installed new circulation pump and hoses in our Webasto heater. BUT the pump is not getting any coolant to it. We have a 1993 Wanderlodge. Some questions: 1. How much coolant does the bus hold?
I am attaching photo of hoses. The bottom one (orange text) is the one that is supposed to bring the coolant to the pump (the men tell me). Well, they said nope, no flow. Any ideas?

Liz Pearce

Rick 12-06-2016 08:27 PM

I doubt anyone can tell you how much coolant your system uses. That was not the original heating system. On the one I installed it took about 4 gallons.

You can buy a large capacity pump and 5 gallon bucket to pump a lot of coolant into the system. We used one Randy had. It moved more than enough coolant. You could use air pressure to move the coolant to the pump.

JackandLiz 12-06-2016 09:05 PM

Thank you for your reply, Rick.
You wrote:"

On the one I installed it took about 4 gallons."

Did you install a Webasto Scholastic heater? That is what is in this Wanderlodge. (It has been a very long day. smile)

Liz

Mallie Lennon 12-06-2016 09:22 PM

Liiz, the Scholastic an 2010 are very similar. But as Rick stated, the pumps are not self priming. They must be in water. Get the system full and bleed all air.

Rick 12-06-2016 09:43 PM

Liz, Like Mallie posted it is a DBW 2010 Webasto. Its use in many different apps. get some coolant in there.

NoGas 12-07-2016 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jack

When I did my Hurricane I used a spare 12v water pump with 3 approx 4' garden hoses. 1/2" PVC pipe and band clamps used to join the coach hoses to the garden hoses. Getting all the air out of the system was critical. Circulate-flush with straight water till the bubbles stopped, then introduced boiler fluidi. Used 4-5 gal boiler fluid. However, had additional 1-2 gal ready for flushing.

JackandLiz 12-07-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon (Post 363330)
Liiz, the Scholastic an 2010 are very similar. But as Rick stated, the pumps are not self priming. They must be in water. Get the system full and bleed all air.

Thanks for your reply, Mallie. I am a real novice at this. So I have questions - 1. "Get the system full" Jack puts the coolant in the coach at that little door that is up above the engine door. Not really sure how much to put in. ?
-2. "Bleed all air" How do I do that?

Thanks,
Liz
Dhanis, TX

Rick 12-07-2016 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackandLiz (Post 363374)
Thanks for your reply, Mallie. I am a real novice at this. So I have questions - 1. "Get the system full" Jack puts the coolant in the coach at that little door that is up above the engine door. Not really sure how much to put in. ?
-2. "Bleed all air" How do I do that?

Thanks,
Liz
Dhanis, TX

Liz, The engine system and the Webasto system are not tied together. Don't share the same liquid. Nothing you add to that little door above the engine with get to your Webasto. Your going to have to add coolant to the hoses that attach to the pump you replaced. Not easy but not impossible. A couple have posted about a bucket and a high volume pump. Maybe Jack needs to talk to someone about how to do this.

NoGas 12-07-2016 01:37 PM

Liz - Look at picture I posted above. Different model coach & heater but should give you an idea of how flush is done. Your heater owners manual should give basic instructions about the process. Leaving any air in the closed loop system will cause problems. Agree with Rick. Project like this is for the serious DIYers only. Might be time to break out the credit card. Good luck with it.

konehd 12-07-2016 02:02 PM

Do you have a coolant tank next to the engine coolant overflow tank? Thats what was original in the '93's. In fact there were 2 tanks, one for each primus loop.

Maybe some photos of what you have would help...

It is hard to bleed the air out of these systems, a circ pump, bucket and lots of coolant is the best way. Not that big a deal, but does take time to flush all the air out.

/Joe