Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Tranny Won't Shift (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3003)

Rob Robinson 05-07-2009 11:39 PM

Tranny Won't Shift

Need some advice guys. I've just now arrived home from Randy's and my tranny appears to be acting up. If I start up the engine and put it in drive it shifts Ok until I put it in neutral and then try shifting it back to drive. It remains in neutral and won't shift into drive. I have to turn the engine off and restart before it will shift into drive. The red check tranny light has come on and when I switch it over to 'check tranny' it gives out a three light code. The code is two quick short blinks followed by a break and then one more quick short blink. I'm headed to an Allison shop tomorrow and would like to go with any advice/info you guys might be able to throw my way.

thomas_sorrentino 05-08-2009 05:22 AM

Hi Rob,

My coach did the same thing when I first got it. I don't remember what the code was. At the time I had read on the forum it was probably the ground wire needed cleaning at the tranny. I had to take it to Allison for something else and had them check it. Sure enough, thats what they said, dirty connections. You might want to check it yourself and save some money so you can come out this way and visit!

Randy Dupree 05-08-2009 06:46 AM

Rob,that ground cable is a braided strap that bolts to the bracket that holds the external tranny filter to the curb side of the tranny
its a major PITA to get to.
I suggest adding a new cable from the same area and running it to the engine buss bar near the exhaust mainfold and the engine batteries.
WWRD?

fxdwg 05-08-2009 05:36 PM

If the diagnostics are like most cars & light trucks, you're getting a code # 21. Now what that means, I have no idea, but maybe somebody can tell you.

Freight Train 05-08-2009 05:44 PM

trasmission

Whys you rpms in natutal???? Bob

Rob Robinson 05-08-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freight Train (Post 19476)
Whys you rpms in natutal???? Bob

Bob I didn't notice what rpms I had in neutral but I'm sure it was normal or I would have noticed the engine sound being different.

Rob Robinson 05-08-2009 10:36 PM

Took the bird into DD/Allison shop today but the tech wasn't available. That was OK as I planned on changing out the Transynd anyways. While the mech was under the bus I had him install a new ground strap from the tranny bell housing directly to the negative side of the start batteries. Bottom line....the problem still exists. Hopefully the tranny tech can shed some light on this next week. I'll keep you posted.

curtsprenger 05-08-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Robinson (Post 19387)
Need some advice guys. I've just now arrived home from Randy's and my tranny appears to be acting up. If I start up the engine and put it in drive it shifts Ok until I put it in neutral and then try shifting it back to drive. It remains in neutral and won't shift into drive. I have to turn the engine off and restart before it will shift into drive. The red check tranny light has come on and when I switch it over to 'check tranny' it gives out a three light code. The code is two quick short blinks followed by a break and then one more quick short blink. I'm headed to an Allison shop tomorrow and would like to go with any advice/info you guys might be able to throw my way.

Rob,
My info...not sure it pertains to your application...Code 21 means the Throttle Position sensor failed low/high... a solenoid shorted to ground.

Rob Robinson 05-08-2009 11:47 PM

thank you Curt. Where do you find these codes????

curtsprenger 05-09-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Robinson (Post 19500)
thank you Curt. Where do you find these codes????

I'll send to your email address the trans. code list that I have. I can upload it to this Forum but not sure where I should put it. And I do not know if it pertains to your Trans.