Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Arches or MOAB camping recommendations? (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34995)

Steelwheels 10-07-2019 02:58 PM

Arches or MOAB camping recommendations?

I’m heading up to Arches and Canyonland this week on short notice. Does anyone know any good places to camp ? I see Moab is the town nearby. No way am I getting a spot at the devils garden. I see a few BLM campgrounds, Goose Island is one. I only have a few days so I was thinking having a base would be good and daytripping with the towed is the plan. Any info or recommendations would be great. Thanks.

curtsprenger 10-07-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelwheels (Post 466508)
I’m heading up to Arches and Canyonland this week on short notice. Does anyone know any good places to camp ? I see Moab is the town nearby. No way am I getting a spot at the devils garden. I see a few BLM campgrounds, Goose Island is one. I only have a few days so I was thinking having a base would be good and daytripping with the towed is the plan. Any info or recommendations would be great. Thanks.

Portal RV Resort - Moab. A bunch of birds stayed there in 2011.

Bill Pape 10-07-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelwheels (Post 466508)

Goose Island is the first camp site, cell phone coverage, but hard to get a site, just continue numerous dry camp sites along the river for miles,
the local camp grounds are friendly for showers, dump & water.
There are also a few water & dump places available in Moab.

NoGas 10-07-2019 08:48 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Depends on your hookup preference. Need FHU? Two years ago we stayed at Portal for a couple nights. It’s a typical close-in to Moab commercial resort with pull-thru’s and it’s close to the Arches NP entrance off Hwy 191. For a quickie 2-3 day visit this CG would be a good choice. Off Grid ok? - lots of places. You mentioned Devils Garden CG which is deep inside Arches NP. Stayed a week there and it was spectacular! Sadly, the only way to do that is with 6 mo advance reservations. Pretty basic and 20 miles outside of town but Horsethief CG is well away from the Moab tourist traps and close to Canyonlands NP. Yet, it’s close enough for toad tours of the whole area. Get the AllStays app and search the area. Lots of Off-Grid BLM areas, as Bill mentions.

K Ridley 10-07-2019 10:00 PM

Funny you are going to Moab on short notice. We found out just a week ago that we will be at the gem and mineral show this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It will be at the Old Spanish Trail Arena on the south side of town. If you get a chance stop in and say hi.

Steelwheels 10-08-2019 09:53 AM

Great pictures Van. We are fine boondocking, I like the more rustic scenic campgrounds but being short on time it would be good to have a spot to pull into. I’ll give Allstate’s a try, I use RV Parky. I used to use All Stays I don’t remember why I stopped, maybe it was IOs support?

Kevin we’d love to come out to the show. My son love rocks and minerals. We were just down at the White Sands open house for the Trinity site, and went to the Mineral Museum at NM tech. We have also done a few trips specifically to rockhound. I’m sure we could learn something from coming out to the show. If we don’t get out of town for some reason we will definitely come out. I’m sure you already know Ballon Fiesta is going right now, should bring extra folks out to the show.

K Ridley 10-08-2019 10:06 AM

I meant we will be at a show in Moab this weekend. It's interesting that you were at the Trinity site as I just picked up some trinitite to sell. It's sand from the trinity site that was turned to glass in the atomic blast.

Steelwheels 10-08-2019 10:35 AM

Thanks for the clarification, I clearly need to clean my glasses.
We will for sure try to make it out.
I had my eye out for some Trinitite, didn’t see a piece.

NoGas 10-08-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Ridley (Post 466586)
... I just picked up some trinitite to sell. It's sand from the trinity site that was turned to glass in the atomic blast.

Many years ago, part of the AF’s highly restricted once every 4 years tour included a guide scraping away some of the sandy soil and using a Geiger Counter to show how “hot” it was. The clicking counter would go wild as it neared the fused sand grains or what we now call Trinitite. He then turned to everyone, laughed and said “Don’t worry it’s safe here for short periods” :eek:. OK Kev, I’ve heard of vendors selling “Hot” merchandise but... :D

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/ph...phys/bomb.html

Steelwheels 10-08-2019 04:44 PM

I saw quite a few places where stones had been picked out of the soil.

This one guy had a gieger counter and was taking and recording measurements from around the site, just a nerdy pursuit I think.
He measured the footing that remained from the tower and the soil right next to it which was 100cpm. He said his granite countertops are 25cpm. We didn’t linger in the fenced area, just walked to the memorial and were out.

Hot merchandise, lol.