Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   'Bird Projects & Modifications (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Vehicle Management System Personal Computer (VMSPC) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710)

Rob Robinson 03-23-2008 05:13 AM

Vehicle Management System Personal Computer (VMSPC)

It's been about a year or so since I bought and installed my VMSPC and I thought I'd report that I am quite happy with it. The VMSPC does so many things that later in this post I'll just cut and paste some company published info. I primarily bought mine to act as a monitor but do enjoy some of it's other features such as the constant readout on miles per gallon and On Board Diagnostics (OBD). VMSPC comes with an ability to sound an alarm and this is where the monitoring comes in. You can set a number of guages (oil, coolant, etc) with limits and when these limits are exceeded the computer will let you know with an audio signal (I'm using the factory OOOOOGA). For me this gives me the peace of mind that if I miss a guage that is going south that the VMSPC will act as a backup and warn me. I did hook into the computer some cheap amplified RadioShack auxilliary speakers to compensate for the small computer speaker. They work great. Here's the company blurb if your interested and at the bottom I've included their site url. While at their site you can down load and try out the VMSPC screen for your self. The link for that is at the very bottom of their page. Before I go, if you think I'm happy with my VMSPC you ought to see how really pleased I am with my Progressive Industries Electrical Management System HW50. That's another story for later.

QUOTE "Now you can use your PC computer to monitor your engine - with the VMSpc. VMSpc is an intelligent data translator that links your serial port to the engine diagnostic connector on your rig. Together with the special software, it allows you to read performance and diagnostic information right on your laptop computer. You get complete diagnostics, trip information, and a great graphing system that lets you display up to five parameters at once. You can even store the engine data to a file and load it into a spreadsheet.

But wait! There's more! VMSpc let's you program audible alarms based on any engine parameter. For example, you can set it to play any WAV file (grap a microphone and record your own!) when your road speed reaches a certain point. Have it played once, once a minute, or continuously.

And you can create a "Tank Minder", which provides a miles-to-empty calculation based on your tank size and fuel economy. VMSpc 2.2 lets you enter correction factors to compensate for a poorly calibrated engine. You can even program gauges to read in metric, if you desire.

Professional engineers use VMSpc to test their vehicle designs. Now you can use the same tools to test your coach. " UNQUOTE

Here's their site http://www.simply-smarter.com/vmspc.html

Usual disclaimer....I have no commercial affiliation with either Silverleaf Industries or Progressive Industries

jyclegg 03-24-2008 10:16 AM

What engines?

Do you know what engines that system will work with?

Rob Robinson 03-24-2008 03:57 PM

Jon I believe they (Silverleaf) have a system for all the major diesel engine manufacturers. Give them a call at

SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
2472 SW Ferry St.
Albany, OR 97322
(888) 741-0259

For general business e-mail lori (at) simply-smarter.com.

jwasnewski 03-24-2008 07:16 PM

I have the VMSpc. Rob's post is correct with the exception of older units. I do not get transmission data because the DDL does not have that capability.
Overall, even for an older unit it works fine. I also have an older PT-50 surge protector and it works great. Mine happens to be a portable instead of hard wired. It works fine.
With regard to the engine monitor, DDECII is a monitoring system except for the injection system. If all is well you will not get buzzers or lights. The VMSpc does provide temps and you can check your gauges. My gauges are very close so most of the time I drive and do not worry about the pc.
If you do not have a wiring diagram for the DDL you may have a challenge hooking it up on older units. I have a complete one page dialog that I created of the wiring on my coach for the DDECII to the DDL if anyone is interested.

Randy Dupree 03-24-2008 08:53 PM

Rob,how much did the unit cost?
its something i think i might like to have.
maybe we can get a group buy on them?
anybody else want one?
Randy

Paul 03-24-2008 09:03 PM

Hey Randy,

I'd go for one as well. It is on my wish list anyway.

Rob Robinson 03-24-2008 09:05 PM

Randy I believe I paid $395 for mine at an RV show. I called Silverleaf and they told me exactly what wires to connect to to get up and running. I do believe the Silverleaf folks might consider a group buy or we could contact Tweedy's RV Supply like we did for the Progressive EMS HW50 buy.

Rob Robinson 03-24-2008 09:28 PM

After my last post I had an idea that Stephen Birtles might be interested in a group buy so I called and he says he'll look into it for us.

gcyeaw 03-24-2008 09:28 PM

That sounds like a pretty neat device, but I doubt it would be very usefull on my '78! What I would like to see is a fuel flow system that read out in dollars per mile. That would result in some pretty light footed travelers I'd bet.

konehd 03-25-2008 12:50 AM

Check out Floscan.com, they directly mesure the fuel flow and will read out in gph or mpg depending on versions...

http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/gen...FRM8awodtmOhQg

Probably could do a $pg if you wanted :}

/Joe