Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Water Spots (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8084)

Bruce 10-28-2010 03:56 PM

Water Spots

We have a new toad. A 2009 Silverado. Bright Red I love that truck. We do winter in Mexico and the water in our town has gone bad. Safe to drink if you so desire but getting hard. We are near the Sea and although the well is about 10 miles into the desert it is still salty. This is a new well but already it is bad. There are other minerals in the water as well. With the old well you always had to towel dry your vehicles immediately. We never washed them in the bright sun. Thgen other day I must have splashed some water on my truck. It has been hot and bright sun. Yesterday I noticed water spots on my truck. I washed the truck after the sun started to drop and dried it right away. Still has spots. I tried: vinegar, windex and some special glass cleaner. It has improved but I still see the spots. They are clear but blotchy. I tried some Meguiar's #6 cleaner wax and no change. Then some swirl remover and a few other products. Some of them might help but I am afraid of damaging the clear coat. I have one of those Porter Cable buffers but dont want to ruin the paint. Any ideas??

isp2952 10-28-2010 04:04 PM

Wow, if the cleaner didn't get it done then I'm not sure what will get it off. I use some wax called Rejex. It is some really good wax. Puts on a finish that is really easy to clean. Anyway, I always use a cleaner first and then the Rejex. It has always taken everything off. The cleaner I use is Mcquires also. I've never had any problems with water spots but then I have never had a red or black vehicle. They are georgeous when clean but when they aren't they are a PIA as you may have found out.

davidmbrady 10-28-2010 04:15 PM

I'd use the Porter Cable with a White finishing pad and Klasse's All-In-One. Go to town. You won't burn thru the clear.

birds_first 10-28-2010 04:40 PM

I have used the Ultima Paint Guard Plus according to their packing it was designed to remove water spots. I used to have serious hard water spots on my bird now that is all I use on everything. It ain't cheap but with the results I've gotten I think it is worth it. Their Prep-kit is what I used for water spot removal.

Bruce 10-28-2010 05:41 PM

After I posted this query I went to Meguiar's web site and did some reading. I always use their products. They recommend a clay bar, scratch x and quick detailer. I ordered them today. Part of the problem is the vehicle being outside. I may have to move the Bird out of the barn and work on the truck indoors. I will be in Tucson next week and wash it with good water first. Thanks for the replies.

GARY,M 10-28-2010 06:58 PM

bruce ,its most likly minerals from the water.[lime]
it can come off hard sometimes.
compound polishing is sometimes the only thing that cuts it.we have also removed it at the shop with a mild solution of limeaway.allways test a spot first.
dont be afraid of the clearcoat ,its really tough stuff.
our coach came from florida and all the windows were etched from the water .i compound polished all the glass and brought it back to new.
what ever you do get it off asap.

rrueckwald 10-28-2010 09:47 PM

Gary, my windows are etched, too. What did you use to polkish them?

davidmbrady 10-28-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrueckwald (Post 78798)
Gary, my windows are etched, too. What did you use to polkish them?

Hi Ron,

Peninsula Glass recommends A-MAZ glass cleaner. You can use a Porter Cable style dual-action buffer to rub it out. If you do, be sure to take some masking tape to tape off and protect the anodized finish on the aluminum window frames.

Don Meyer 10-29-2010 08:01 AM

When I first first go my Bird badk in 02, the windows were covered in hard water spots. Nothing I tried at the time would remove it. So one day I got to thinking about it. Water spots are generally calcium. So I went to Home Depot and got some Calcium-Lime-Rust remover (CLR). Put some on a rag as started wiping the windows. Worked like a charm. I cleaned them with Windex after that and they looked great. I'm not sure if this works on all water spots, expecially if the etching is severe. But it's cheap and worked on mine.

GARY,M 10-29-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrueckwald (Post 78798)
gary, my windows are etched, too. What did you use to polkish them?

automotive paint polishing compound .medium with a wool pad and then fine with a foam pad and then a good coat of wax.
You will not hurt the glass.
But it will take some polishing to get it off