Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Antifreeze in Oil (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9132)

alvahall 02-09-2011 02:20 PM

Antifreeze in Oil

We are on our way to Florida and have stopped at the South Carolina Welcome Center. No coolant in the sight glass, checked the oil and it's about 4 inches above the full mark.:mad: The heads are just over a year old, but they're after market. Maybe a head gasket? Any good service centers in the area? Spartanburg is about 30 miles South, would it be safe to drive that far?

Robert Britton 02-09-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvahall (Post 94616)
We are on our way to Florida and have stopped at the South Carolina Welcome Center. No coolant in the sight glass, checked the oil and it's about 4 inches above the full mark.:mad: The heads are just over a year old, but they're after market. Maybe a head gasket? Any good service centers in the area? Spartanburg is about 30 miles South, would it be safe to drive that far?

Sit tight John...don't think I would want to drive the coach with that condition...others will chime in!

Sorry your having problems.

exxis 02-09-2011 02:46 PM

Antifreeze will cause galling of the bearing rapidly. I would not drive it. Sorry to hear, keep us posted.

susanmarycamilleri 02-09-2011 02:52 PM

I agree don't drive it. It may not be the heads, or the head gasket. I read on another forum where it turned out to be a cracked liner. I assume that your has the 8V, do your slobber tubes drain into the crank?
Sorry to hear of you troubles?

Rick 02-09-2011 03:00 PM

John, Way too much coolant in the crankcase to drive it anywhere. I wouldn't idle the engine. Another tough turn of events. Good luck Sir

alvahall 02-09-2011 03:02 PM

The slobber tubes drain directly to the ground and there is nothing at all dribbling from them. There is a Detroit service center about 25 miles from here that says they can work on it. Now we have to get it there. We've driven a couple of hundred miles today, I sure hope we haven't ruined the engine!

racin41bb 02-09-2011 03:23 PM

If you have a road service plan they should tow to the nearest Detroit shop. Make sure you emphasize the front axle setback. (ours is 7' on the FC). Good Sam seems to have problems sending the proper wrecker--Coachnet understands. Also if you have problems with the tow trucks stinger clearing you can raise the front end with your leveling jacks.

Been there--no way to start a trip.

Hope things workout OK.

Christian 02-09-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 94634)
John, Way too much coolant in the crankcase to drive it anywhere. I wouldn't idle the engine. Another tough turn of events. Good luck Sir

This is a little hair brained so use caution....:o
I would only try this in extreme conditions....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:: eek:
You could ruin your motor...:mad:

The only way I would try it is to drain everything. Shut off leave off the chassis heat valves. Make sure to get all the antifreeze out and fill both the engine and radiator with the rotella 2 cycle oil and check often to add more oil into the radiator... Drain high level out of motor. If it is milky brown or dirty drain and add more fresh rotella. If the bearings are already damaged/Low oil pressure I would not drive it anywhere however.

Loosen your radiator cap to keep it from pressurizing and it will transfer less of the oil coolant to the crankcase It might work very well, that depends on where the leak is...

It wouldn't cool as well as antifreeze does and the oil would be difficult to remove afterwords but it might work to get where you are going... Take it easy on the accelerator pedal to keep it cool...

The high level of oil in the engine can screw it up as well, the level must be kept at the full mark and not above. If the oil is milky throw it out and add more Rotella 2 cycle oil.

Sometimes in the arctic they will use kerosene for antifreeze. I don't think I would try that tho...

All in all I wouldn't try the above except in extreme circumstances.

susanmarycamilleri 02-09-2011 03:38 PM

You are lucky that there is a DD dealer so close. Get it towed. I hope you didn't ruin your engine as well, But, as they say, it is, what it is. No use worrying about it, Cross that bridge when you get there.
Hope for the best,plan for the worst.

Stephen 02-09-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian (Post 94644)
This is a little hair brained so use caution....:o
I would only try this in extreme conditions....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:: eek:
You could ruin your motor...:mad:

The only way I would try it is to drain everything. Shut off leave off the chassis heat valves. Make sure to get all the antifreeze out and fill both the engine and radiator with the rotella 2 cycle oil and check often to add more oil into the radiator... Drain high level out of motor. If it is milky brown or dirty drain and add more fresh rotella. If the bearings are already damaged/Low oil pressure I would not drive it anywhere however.

Loosen your radiator cap to keep it from pressurizing and it will transfer less of the oil coolant to the crankcase It might work very well, that depends on where the leak is...

It wouldn't cool as well as antifreeze does and the oil would be difficult to remove afterwords but it might work to get where you are going... Take it easy on the accelerator pedal to keep it cool...

The high level of oil in the engine can screw it up as well, the level must be kept at the full mark and not above. If the oil is milky throw it out and add more Rotella 2 cycle oil.

Sometimes in the arctic they will use kerosene for antifreeze. I don't think I would try that tho...

All in all I wouldn't try the above except in extreme circumstances.

under no circumstances add oil to the rad
do not drive ir start the engine
get it towed to a fixit facility