Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   M450 (Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   M450 satelite dome (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30611)

Icefixr66 02-02-2018 01:14 PM

M450 satelite dome

Does anybody have a dome for a kvh L3 that they want to sell? For an M450

brhodes 02-02-2018 04:48 PM

May be made out of UNOBTAINIUM plastic, as a search using SEARCH TEMPEST had "0" results.

FleaBay had a junk system, but they are dreaming on the price and the dome is garbage.

May be time to upgrade as KVH has a tendency to drop support for older systems as they change modulation schemes to compact more channels onto their carriers.

Ed Wimberley 02-02-2018 05:07 PM

Stand by .
We replaced the KVH on the 95 Joann wanted something else that would RUN two tv's on different channels.
I will take a pic. Do.e is off but controls still installed inside.

Ed Wimberley 02-02-2018 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dome measures about 32" wide and It's a KVH R5sl
Not sure if same as yours . It was working when replaced.

Icefixr66 02-03-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icefixr66 (Post 405466)
Does anybody have a dome for a kvh L3 that they want to sell? For an M450

Sorry Ed but that is not the right size. Mine is smaller in diameter and a little taller, but I really appreciate the effort .

Randy Dupree 02-03-2018 09:05 AM

i have a dome,but i'm not sure what brand it is,and its down at the beach.
I got it from Finn,maybe he remembers the brand?

Ernest Ekberg 02-03-2018 09:12 AM

I added a Traveller with 3 lnbs- did it my own self- gotta have HD

The Fuenti 02-03-2018 01:02 PM

Hello Mike,

I have a KVH R6, which is approximately 28" to about 29" across depending on the angle. Not sure if this works for you, but if you're interested feel free to email me directly (jfuentes@fuentes.info).

We don't use satellite TV so the plan is to remove the whole system in the next few months. Taking clutter off the roof to make room for solar panels.

Bluebird Bob 02-03-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg (Post 405542)
I added a Traveller with 3 lnbs- did it my own self- gotta have HD

We installed the same.
Then went with the Hopper and Joey also.:p

brhodes 02-03-2018 11:07 PM

I installed the Traveler also, great system and once locked on it never has to move elliminating all the servo noise when you change channels.
Also, when it auto stows it lays as low as the Dometic Penquin II air conditioners.

Icefixr66 02-04-2018 08:03 AM

Thanks everybody for the responses. After further examination the crack wasn’t as bad as I thought. A little fiberglass work on the inside and it looks as good as new We’ll see how the signal reception is and go from there...after the snow is gone and I take it out of the garage

brhodes 02-04-2018 09:53 AM

The fiberglass patch will have no to minimal impact on the signal strength received by the LNB as fiberglass wind/snow/bird domes are common on terrestrial microwave antennas.

SNOWBIRD 02-04-2018 10:23 AM

I am removing KVH dome as well. We have never used it so I'm not sure what model it is, but I bought the Travler for Dish based on all of the positive reviews here. I have Dish at home and wanted to stay with the same.

SNOWBIRD 02-04-2018 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just pulled my dome off. It is an L3. Let me know if you need it.

Icefixr66 02-05-2018 12:32 AM

Sky. That’s the one. If you are going to scrap it I’ll take it. If you are going to try and sell the system, I wouldn’t want to break up a complete unit. Mine will be fine with my fiberglass magic !

SNOWBIRD 02-05-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icefixr66 (Post 405714)
Sky. That’s the one. If you are going to scrap it I’ll take it. If you are going to try and sell the system, I wouldn’t want to break up a complete unit. Mine will be fine with my fiberglass magic !

I have no idea if it has any value. I don't even know if it worked.

Buck 02-12-2018 05:37 PM

Mike, you are welcome to mine, cover and all when I get it removed (which will most likely be next month sometime.

Buck

SNOWBIRD 02-12-2018 05:39 PM

I see no others anywhere listed so mine will go in the trash unless someone wants it for the price of shipping.

bryanaltier 02-03-2020 08:37 AM

Replacing SD Dome

Okay the time has come to replace the SD satelite dome with a HD receiver and antenna. Purchased the Traveler for dish. Appears that I can use the existing coax but the control cable is different.

To those that have done this upgrade what is the best process. I have located the control cable in question in the front behind the TV and have the end on the roof.

Also how did your mount the traveler on the roof?

Thanks in advance for all help.

Buck 02-03-2020 12:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also mounted a Traveler - Dish.

I re-used the existing Coax cables, and wanted to run the new control cable along the same route inside along the roof, but I was going to have to remove the interior roof panels to do it. I was prepared to do just that but hit an impediment with the panels that extend under the trim.

Attachment 66144

Attachment 66145

I didn't know exactly how I was going to do that and since we where living in the bus, I didn't have time or the space to dismantle everything for an extended period of time.

With that said, I ran the control cable along the same route as the over the air antenna, except I brought the cable in to the cap on the driver's side, so that it came into the entertainment compartment. I bored a hole and used a cable clam just like BB did for the other cables that go through the roof. I can take a picture if you like but it might take a day or two.

I intend to re-route the cable some day, after I get moved in to the new old house and get the new bus barn built.

I mounted the dish with 3M VHB tape and Sikaflex 221. I didn't use any screws. I figured there are enough holes in the roof as it is.

bryanaltier 02-03-2020 12:49 PM

Thanks Buck,

I was up there looking at the dome ( have not removed yet ) and appears it is mounted on a flat lanel screwed to the roof, think about that panel being used as a base for new antenna.

As for the control wires, since it only carries low voltage here is a crazy thought.... splice the new attenna onto the old wire and them shrink wrap and seal and do the same thing at the other end to plug into the control box. No removing roof panels. The existing wire has 8 conductors and 6 are needed for the new antenna.

?????

Buck 02-03-2020 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I mounted mine on their corresponding mounting plate.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attachment 66147

I basically glued it down with the VHB tape and the Sikaflex and then attached the dish in the same manor.

I like the idea of spicing to the existing control cable. Let us know how that turn out.

bryanaltier 02-18-2020 09:41 AM

Well it's done and working. Removed the old dome, cleaned everthing up removed all the brackets for the dome and sealed the screw holes.

Mounted the new dish in just about the same location glued and screwed down. Spliced the wires and sealed to the existing control cable and the same at the end being the front TV. Used existing coax. Works great.

Feel like this was much easier than removing the ceiling panels and tracing down all the wires. :D

Buck 02-18-2020 11:01 AM

I agree. I will look more closely at this option. I may retrofit mine in the future.