Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Under The Awning (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Two weeks in Wisconsin (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31687)

kg4rrx 06-30-2018 12:31 PM

Two weeks in Wisconsin

End of July / beginning of August we have a place to be in Wisconsin. Right now the only real plans we have are two nights at Fisherman's Corner in Moline IL on the way up and four nights at Sherwood Forest in Wisconsin Dells. Another nine days or so to go wherever. Anything we shouldn't miss?

photoadjuster 06-30-2018 12:36 PM

Oshkosh Air Show is July 23 thru the 29. Greatest show on earth.

kg4rrx 06-30-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoadjuster (Post 420908)
Oshkosh Air Show is July 23 thru the 29. Greatest show on earth.

I'm an air traffic controller. I've been to Oshkosh once, back probably 20 years ago. Unfortunately I won't be in the state until July 29 so I missed that show.

max hendrix 06-30-2018 02:06 PM

Oshkosh Airshow definitely is one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. Camping under the wings in a sea of airplanes with thousands of other people is not for everyone but it was a lot of fun.

The low pass by the Concorde with full afterburner and ensuing Kerosene conversion to massive acceleration and lots of the sound of Freedom was something that I will always regret never getting to see. It did not attend the show the year when I went.

I was flying westbound in a Boeing 767 over the North Atlantic one day back in the 90s. We heard chatter on the radio and watched Concorde climbing towards 51,000’ and passing us steadily by as we felt like we were sitting still down in the mid 30’s Quite an impressive piece of machinery. But it was too thirsty for what it could carry and just not economically feasible to carry on.

I did get to see the greatest stunt show that I have ever seen, and I’ve been to a lot in my 40 plus years of being around airplanes. The “Masters of Disaster” we’re doing things that I wouldn’t even dream of doing. The radial engine Waco biplane with a jet engine strapped below the fuselage was crazy. He pulled it off the runway and snap rolled it before he was 20 feet in the air. And that was with the wing walker strapped to her pole up on top of the wing. It looked like her head was going to scrape the concrete they were so low. And it happened so fast I bet there had to be some tremendous G forces on her body.

I told my wife that those guys wouldn’t live to see grandchildren and just a couple of years later I was right. They ran together up in Canada and killed both of the main performers of the show. Really a sad episode.

Oshkosh should be on your bucket list. Just like the Indy 500 or a trip to Alaska.

One more story and I’ll quit::
I have a young friend that I am trying to help and encourage He loves flying but is not experienced enough yet to get a job doing it Anyway, last year or the year before he went to Oshkosh and Bob Hoover was there. He stood in line even though his girlfriend was not very happy about that. After while he made his way to the front, got to shake his hand and take a couple of pictures with him. Bob passed away shortly after that but my buddy has the memories and the pictures. That my friends is priceless if you are a pilot or know anything about Aviation History. He was a living Legend.

Max

iamflagman 06-30-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4rrx (Post 420907)
End of July / beginning of August we have a place to be in Wisconsin. Right now the only real plans we have are two nights at Fisherman's Corner in Moline IL on the way up and four nights at Sherwood Forest in Wisconsin Dells. Another nine days or so to go wherever. Anything we shouldn't miss?

Actually Fishermans Corner is in Hampton, Ill up river from Moline, I stay there while I visit relatives and friends as I grew up in the area. While you are there see the "American Pickers" store just across the I-80 bridge in LeClaire, Iowa, Just a few miles west on I-80 at Walcott, Iowa, stop at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop and visit their chrome shop for lots of eye candy. In Moline see the John Deere Pavilion museum.

kg4rrx 06-30-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max hendrix (Post 420923)

I did get to see the greatest stunt show that I have ever seen, and I’ve been to a lot in my 40 plus years of being around airplanes. The “Masters of Disaster” we’re doing things that I wouldn’t even dream of doing. The radial engine Waco biplane with a jet engine strapped below the fuselage was crazy. He pulled it off the runway and snap rolled it before he was 20 feet in the air. And that was with the wing walker strapped to her pole up on top of the wing. It looked like her head was going to scrape the concrete they were so low. And it happened so fast I bet there had to be some tremendous G forces on her body.

I told my wife that those guys wouldn’t live to see grandchildren and just a couple of years later I was right. They ran together up in Canada and killed both of the main performers of the show. Really a sad episode.

Max

I saw the Masters of Disaster a couple of times at airshows. I agree it was a terrific show. I have a buddy that used to be a sort of an 'intern' for Gene Soucy and had the opportunity to spend some time with him at a show in Wichita. One of these days I'll make it back to Oshkosh but sadly not this year.

kg4rrx 06-30-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamflagman (Post 420924)
Actually Fishermans Corner is in Hampton, Ill up river from Moline, I stay there while I visit relatives and friends as I grew up in the area. While you are there see the "American Pickers" store just across the I-80 bridge in LeClaire, Iowa, Just a few miles west on I-80 at Walcott, Iowa, stop at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop and visit their chrome shop for lots of eye candy. In Moline see the John Deere Pavilion museum.

John Deere Pavilion is probably the top reason why I wanted to visit Moline. I didn't know that the I80 truck stop was close- I'll have to add it to the list.

Big Al 06-30-2018 07:37 PM

Wisconsin
You can go to HD Musem Milwaukee
Lambeau Field in Green Bay
New Glaurs brewery tour in New Glarurs
And you can come see us.
Have a good time.

Turbokitty 06-30-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4rrx (Post 420907)

Madison, ugh!

Stillwater is gorgeous! LaCrosse is great too. Lake Superior is great along with the Apostle Islands:)

jcs707 06-30-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max hendrix (Post 420923)

One more story and I’ll quit::
I have a young friend that I am trying to help and encourage He loves flying but is not experienced enough yet to get a job doing it Anyway, last year or the year before he went to Oshkosh and Bob Hoover was there. He stood in line even though his girlfriend was not very happy about that. After while he made his way to the front, got to shake his hand and take a couple of pictures with him. Bob passed away shortly after that but my buddy has the memories and the pictures. That my friends is priceless if you are a pilot or know anything about Aviation History. He was a living Legend.

Max

always a military aviation fanatic, I went to a lot of air shows growing up. Two demonstrations I remember the most - first was this crazy man in a twin engine Rockwell Shrike Commander do some of the most unbelievable single engine and power-off stunts you could imagine. Yep, Bob Hoover - at the time I was completely unaware of the aviation legend that he was.

Second, I saw the Blue Angles do a Delta-6 formation landing at Dobbins AFB - when they were flying the A4. Because I never ever saw that manuever again, and it was so so long ago, I actually began to think I had dreamed up the whole thing. Then I actually found it on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/NzpLPShb21s

and here's a later version of a Diamond-4 formation in F-18s.

https://youtu.be/hyOwj_PttSg

Now that's some precision flying!

Oskosh is definitely on my bucket list.