Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Throttle Cable (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4577)

Rick 11-09-2009 10:22 AM

Throttle Cable

Anyone replaced the throttle cable on their FC. Part #s Upgrade?

sfedeli 11-09-2009 10:42 AM

Rick- Do you have an air-throttle? If so, the cable is no longer made by Morse. Are you able to see any numbers stamped into the casing? Those give exact length and would be a big help if you decide to have one made. Bill Pape and Dick Gideon have sourced replacement parts for the air throttle system and can shed some light here. I rebuilt my CC-5 air cylinder and that made a dramatic improvement in turbo boost and throttle modulation. Let us know what you have. Pics are great too!

NH Bill 11-09-2009 10:55 AM

Rick, are your referring to the hand throttle or the accelerator cable.

If it's the accelerator cable. When I first got our Bird I went through a real ordeal of having to replace it. It was difficult to find not a big deal to install.
Ran the new one through a piece of fuel line to protect it.

The original failed after the support bracket above the turbo let go and the cable fell and baked on there for a while.

There is an extensive post with part #s etc. on WOO that I documented. I would post it here if I had access to it but I don't.

NH Bill

Mike Hohnstein 11-09-2009 11:46 AM

You need to take the old cable to a marine supplier and match it up. Best quality cables are boat applications. Air throttle would be a nice upgrade: Williams Control # WM388U1A1A is a direct acting cylinder WM388105 is a variant using a lever to add flexibility to installations. The treadle # is WM453. I talked to 'Tom' @ Florig Supply @ 847 352 2481 a while back regarding these part numbers, at the time they were good numbers.

Rick 11-09-2009 01:54 PM

Thanks for the replays. This cable is the accelerator pedal cable. The marine supply houses are few and far between in North Arkansas. I've considered the air throttle but I'm a lazy bum. I've also thought about installing a Cruise that works. After mashing on that brick yesterday for the 575 mile run home I've got to do something.

NH Bill 11-09-2009 02:48 PM

When I was hunting down the cable replacement I tried marine stores from Maine to Gloucester MA and they did not have anything. That would work. Its basically a push-pull heat rated (red) Morse cable but apparently, the ends are unique.

I called all the usual suspects, Holland etc. Even Blue Bird (open at the time) told me it would take 2-3 weeks to get one!

The mechanic that helped (fleeced) me with this eventually found one through a local machine shop and I think the shop was in Hudson NH. I don't have a name, but, its a relatively small town.

The replacement cable had a Blue Bird tag on it and it was a bit longer than the original 110" += (I think).

In the end the new cable works great... full throttle nice and smooth.

HOWEVER, if I were to do it again, I would follow Mike's recommendation and go with the air throttle- cruise set up.

Ended up costing $160 this included drop shipping fees. On top of that was 5 hours labor (travel time mostly). OUCH!

NH Bill

rwoody 11-09-2009 08:26 PM

rick you got pictures????????

i dont think that you have the air throttle that bill and dick have
open the ft of the bus driver side and look--take pic

you got a regular cable that a speedometer shop would have or can make who handles MORSE.......

I bought 1 in tulsa ok north side 1 time for my old 81----50-60 bux and the guy built it there

Rick 11-09-2009 08:51 PM

Right Woody, its just an old pos cable. No Pics. I'll take it off and see if on of the speed shops have a shifter cable I can make work. By the way it was good to visit at RATS.

rwoody 11-09-2009 08:59 PM

same here bud

iamflagman 11-10-2009 04:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are three things that I have done to improve the throttle performance on my '82FC35RB 'Bird, that i would suggest that be tried before investing in another throttle cable, or air throttle, to save some $$$$;

First I cleaned and lubricated the original equipment throttle;

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/119243108.jpg

Second I made this wedge for the throttle pedal that relieves most of the leg stress that I was getting from the odd position that I previously had to hold my foot at while driving without the use of the cruise control.

Third I found out that it really didn't take holding the throttle pedal flat on the floor to get the maximum performance from my CAT 3208NA while also towing my almost 9000# gross weight enclosed autocarrier trailer, I could actually increase my speed by backing off of the throttle just a little bit where I found what I refer to as my throttle sweet spot, this is where I can maintain on level ground anywhere from 62 - 68 mph and I don't loose as much speed on the hills as quick as I would by holding it on the floor, see;