Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Recurrent Airbag Failure (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34804)

JayMeath 09-12-2019 12:26 PM

Recurrent Airbag Failure

I had to replace driver’s side front airbag twice in the 18 months.
The leak in both cases was on the inside of the airbag right next to the exhaust pipe. After the first failure I wrapped the exhaust pipe with heat tape to reduce the heating of the airbag suspecting heat from the exhaust pipe caused the first failure.

In both instances the leak developed after traveling down highways with many severe “dips” in the road and maybe I was just driving too fast (about 63 MPH)? Might this may have exaggerated / caused the problem.

I replaced all the air bags about 5 years ago.

I’m wondering if this is a common occurrence?

Thanks, Jay

Randy Dupree 09-12-2019 12:36 PM

At one time there was a heat shield that clamped to the exhaust pipe to keep the heat off the bag.
They were made of steel and after years they simply rotted away.
I have also seen the super techs (not to be confused with a real mechanic) leave them off because they are a PITA to work around or remove.

I made new ones for the coachs i worked on back in the day,mine were stainless so they never rusted away.
They were held onto the exhaust pipe with a simple muffler clamp.
The heat shield and wrap the pipe will be the fix.

JayMeath 09-12-2019 02:28 PM

I will look into fabricating something in the way of a heat shield.
Do you remember the approximate distance between the heat shield and the exhaust pipe? There doesn’t seem to be much room to fit something in there.

Crit Bliss 09-12-2019 02:38 PM

Hi Jay, I lost a bag twice, turned out to be a exhaust leak. Fixed leak and wrapped exhaust pipe in header tape. Remember that I have 1 pipe coming off the engine

JayMeath 09-12-2019 02:48 PM

Hi Chris, I also have only one pipe going to the exhaust. I did wrap the pipe with heat tape but did not check for a possible exhaust leak. I will do that. Thanks for the information

Randy Dupree 09-12-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMeath (Post 464239)
I will look into fabricating something in the way of a heat shield.
Do you remember the approximate distance between the heat shield and the exhaust pipe? There doesn’t seem to be much room to fit something in there.

I never even thought of measuring that,sorry!
Real deal on heat shields,they keep heat off,period.
Crits exhaust is not normal,his engine was changed to a turbo and whoever did it did it well.
i think the shield was an inch away or so.

JayMeath 09-12-2019 03:21 PM

Howdy Randy,
My FC was also converted from a 3208NA to at 3208T (previous owner) so Crit and I have that in common. Maybe mine was not done so well?
Without crawling under the bus again I’d have to say there is probably only an inch or two between the airbag and the exhaust pipe.
I also have an exhaust brake if that has any impact on the problem.

Randy Dupree 09-12-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMeath (Post 464245)
Howdy Randy,
My FC was also converted from a 3208NA to at 3208T (previous owner) so Crit and I have that in common. Maybe mine was not done so well?
Without crawling under the bus again I’d have to say there is probably only an inch or two between the airbag and the exhaust pipe.
I also have an exhaust brake if that has any impact on the problem.

Crits exhaust comes down and back on the curb side,factory BB came down on the street side.
where does yours come down?

JayMeath 09-12-2019 04:39 PM

Mine comes down on the street (drivers) side.

Crit Bliss 09-12-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Dupree (Post 464248)
Crits exhaust comes down and back on the curb side,factory BB came down on the street side.
where does yours come down?

Could be a factory repower