Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   M380 (Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   M380 Powertech Generator (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34853)

Gump 09-18-2019 05:07 AM

M380 Powertech Generator

My powertech generator shut down due to low batt voltage. It will crank and run a few minutes if I use the gen batt button. The problem is the gen battery is not charging and in pursuing the problem I have found the gen alternator is not putting out. I found that the drive belt is loose.
How do you get the Gen to slide out further on the tray so that the belt can be tightened and probably changed.
Does anyone have the steps to slide the Generator out further?

Than:mad:ks

Gump

Dc2x4drvr 09-18-2019 07:36 AM

The gen has to be pulled out to service the alternator/v belt, you’ll need a forklift, or pallet jack, there is no other way to get to the back of the unit.

Shawnthegrasshopper 09-18-2019 10:24 AM

The Belt and Alternator could be changed without removing the unit.
Find a way to raise the front of Coach, Ramp, Lift, Slope Etc.
Extend generator out.
Using a power Right Angle Ratchet Cordless, and a Smaller Long Armed Mechanic.
Remove Cover Panels.
To replace Belt, Loosen the fan shroud, Cut off Old Belt.
Repair or Replace Alternator, if not available, Remove Guts and use as a Idler.
Fish New Belt around pulleys, it will take 2 sets of hands to feed Belt and hold shroud away to gain clearance ...IT’S A TIGHT FIT.
I believe DB Electric has Alternator at a Fair price.
Napa Belt #7380

How do I know?
I just did this Procedure June of this year in Florida Heat/Humidity!
No A/C NOT Good!

Good luck

Randy Dupree 09-18-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnthegrasshopper (Post 464793)
The Belt and Alternator could be changed without removing the unit.
Find a way to raise the front of Coach, Ramp, Lift, Slope Etc.
Extend generator out.
Using a power Right Angle Ratchet Cordless, and a Smaller Long Armed Mechanic.
Remove Cover Panels.
To replace Belt, Loosen the fan shroud, Cut off Old Belt.
Repair or Replace Alternator, if not available, Remove Guts and use as a Idler.
Fish New Belt around pulleys, it will take 2 sets of hands to feed Belt and hold shroud away to gain clearance ...IT’S A TIGHT FIT.
I believe DB Electric has Alternator at a Fair price.
Napa Belt #7380

How do I know?
I just did this Procedure June of this year in Florida Heat/Humidity!
No A/C NOT Good!

Good luck

Great first post!
Thanks.
Good info,we all need a skinny mechanic at times!

Dc2x4drvr 09-18-2019 10:48 AM

Good info, but...easier to slide the genny out on a pallet jack though, and gives you the opportunity to change out the thermostat, etc..:))

dthollis 09-18-2019 12:18 PM

I've always wondered if Blue Bird's service manager was paid well enough to break the news to customers about this kind of stuff.

Randy Dupree 09-18-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dthollis (Post 464801)
I've always wondered if Blue Bird's service manager was paid well enough to break the news to customers about this kind of stuff.

Lets think about this,Powertech offered a quiet box generator,as did Onan and who knows who else.
The advantage to buying a quiet box genny thats already had the heat calculations done,the rads mounted and its a plug and play deal.
If you were a coach builder its a win-win deal.
If your doing the maintenance its a sucky deal.

But really,changing the belt on a WB or LXI is not so easy either,but not as bad as the 380.

When i do a belt on a WB or LXI i make a few mods,for the next guy that has to do it.
(plasma cutters are great things!)

Gump 09-19-2019 05:48 AM

M380 PowerTech Gen

Thanks for all the feedback. Going to remove the gen Saturday and take the opportunity to change belt/alt/water pump and thermostat and also coolant flush and fill. Might as well cover all the bases while its out.

Gump

NoGas 09-19-2019 01:58 PM

Great plan! While you have the geny out also check/replace the rubber donut engine mounts and verify that the main power line umbilical is not damaged/pinched (both available from PT). Coolant flush and water pump replacement is a great idea. On purchasing ours at the 10 year point, geny only had 200 hours and PO had NEVER changed the coolant :eek:. It was having overheat shutdown issues and the cause was a completely gummed up cooling system. Replaced WP (badly corroded) and flushed the ____ out of it, new belt, new (Red) coolant, fresh oil and filters... and staying on top of calendar based maintenance - it’s worked perfect ever since. You’re going to have a new generator!

chiplamb 10-03-2019 09:21 PM

I am boondocking at the Barber Vintage Festival in my 04 M380 and the generator cooling system is definitely not up to the challenge of running in 90+ ambient. It was 101F today, might be a bit cooler, but not much tomorrow. I am quite a way off the ground on grass, the air is moving underneath so the fan is turning, but the rad must be plugged. Was OK boondocking at a Wal-Mart last night and while going down the road apart from a hot moment in traffic in Atlanta yesterday. In short, going to have to haul mine out shortly, maybe we can do this as a WOG seminar? Hot in Alabama...