Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Starter Runaway - 8V92 (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33122)

Kiwi3 01-17-2019 07:54 PM

Starter Runaway - 8V92

Okay this was a new one for me. I've had plenty of starters that would not engage the flywheel, but this was the first one that I had that just kept running even with the key off.

I had just changed out the engine oil and had run up the engine to circulate the new oil. I cut off the engine and go back to check the levels and hear the starter just spinning. It wasn't trying to engage the flywheel. It was just running like mad. I disconnected the engine batteries to stop it. Unfortunately, I ran out of daylight before I could get back under the coach to see if a wire had crossed to the solenoid.

While I'm pretty sure it is either a wire on the solenoid or the solenoid itself, is there anything else that I should check? The starter spins with the key off, so could it be the ignition switch? I didn't get to see if it did it with the rear ignition yet, I'll check that in the morning. Thoughts? :confused:

As a bonus, I guess I'll finally put that battery cutoff in since I disconnected everything already. :)

chiplamb 01-17-2019 08:08 PM

Short in the solenoid or the big internal cable itself since it's not engaging the bendix would be my guess. Good thing the bendix isn't hanging and chewing up the flywheel!

Kiwi3 01-17-2019 09:41 PM

Yeah I'm thinking it is the solenoid. I'll know more in the daylight. I had a new solenoid installed back in May 2018. So much for quality huh.

Randy Dupree 01-17-2019 10:14 PM

I have seen solenoids go bad before,usually from weak batteries.

Kiwi3 01-17-2019 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Dupree (Post 440379)
I have seen solenoids go bad before,usually from weak batteries.

Good point. I know my charger was unplugged for a while. I didn't find it until the auto-generator start kicked on one day. So yeah the starting batteries might be low. I'll check that too.

sfedeli 01-18-2019 08:58 AM

Mine stuck on back in 2017 after I had turned the coach around in Kip's front yard and shut the engine off... I heard this loud motor turning in the back end of the bus and it had me stumped. Turned off the master battery switch, whacked the side of the starter and the solenoid a few times with a BFH and long piece of pipe and then powered back up..has not done it since.

Gremlin or bad Karma... who knows... I cut off a big Caddy full of church ladies coming through Atlanta on the way to Kip's place.

atckip 01-18-2019 09:13 AM

Ya know...Shane moves pretty quick for a healthy young'un......just say'n!:D:D:D

mose 01-18-2019 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I second the 'low battery' comment. Bad batteries or poor wiring or poor connections cause low voltage, which results in excessive current. This burns/melts the contacts on the solenoid and the contact disc will weld to the in/out posts. Starter stays running, but solenoid disengages bendix. There's a small spring in the middle of the disc that is expected to push the disc off the posts.

Here's what one looks like when it happens. You can usually just clean up the disc and posts with a file and paper if not too pitted.

Kiwi3 01-18-2019 09:47 PM

Yup, it was the solenoid and low batteries.
3 whacks with a 5lbs hammer and it worked fine again. Checked the batteries and one of them is not well. I'll pull them and load test them tomorrow.

I lost a bunch of time today because the guy parked next to my truck apparently couldn't see the truck and turned right into my rear quarter. So now on with the joy of insurance claims, estimates, and body shop visits.