Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Travel Tips - Fuel Prices (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I-Pass / EZ-Pass Transponder (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19619)

iamflagman 05-06-2014 06:17 PM

I-Pass / EZ-Pass Transponder

Quote:

Transponder Installation Exceptions
Quote:

Vertical Windshields
It is sometimes difficult for the lane equipment to "read" a transponder signal. For vehicles with vertical windshields, such as Jeeps, buses or trucks, it is recommended that the I-PASS transponders be mounted in the center of the windshield, about one to two inches from the bottom of the window.
Do you mount your I-Pass or EZ-Pass transponder on your 'Bird in this fashion or is it better to mount it elsewhere?

BrianS 05-06-2014 06:37 PM

I have an Oklahoma Pike Pass, and they have no special instructions for flat windows. I mounted mine same as always, up high on the windshield, in the middle. In Oklahoma, even if the pike pass is not read, the camera picks up your license tag number, and bills your account. Well, maybe a real person does that, but in the end, my pike pass is charged the same amount.

NH Bill 05-06-2014 07:04 PM

I have it located as specified. Center and several inches above bottom.

Never had a problem.

Turbokitty 05-06-2014 07:44 PM

John, my Florida Sun-Pass is mounted as stated just below and left of center behind the rearview mirror. FWIW, our pass is also tied (figuratively) to our various license plates just in case the pass doesn't read. They photo the vehicle and check it against a Sun-Pass before they issue a fine:p

Sad thing is some state politicians are trying to get EVERY mile of every highway in the state of Florida equiped with this system so no matter where you go there will be a charge:o:(:mad:... Who would need a GPS, just call the highway patrol, har!

Mike Hohnstein 05-06-2014 08:02 PM

Needs to be down 12" from top of windshield, I've had grief with too close to the top mounting.

markusfmeyer 05-06-2014 08:16 PM

I lay mine on the dash by the window.

Clueless 05-07-2014 07:18 AM

Mine is on the drivers side of center at the bottom of the windshield.

In Indiana I have had problems getting it to "pick up" or raise the gate while laying on the dash, and it seems pretty specific where it works. In a car that was near the top of the windshield which is about the height of the bottom of the windshield in a bus.

But then if you don't secure your toad transponder somewhere like in the safe, it will pick up and be charged. Go figure.

Probably the answer John is put it where you want and after a trip go online to see if it worked. Or come to Indiana and see if the gates raise. There's some gates right at my exit.

dog2travel 05-08-2014 11:19 PM

Mine is on the toad, CRV in the normal windshield position. It reads fine on all FL toll roads, don't need it on the bird, and it works when I drive the car. Got the tip from a toll booth attendant. I have checked my account and when I'm towing, it charges all axles.

Bill Pape 05-09-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2travel (Post 251614)
Mine is on the toad, CRV in the normal windshield position. It reads fine on all FL toll roads, don't need it on the bird, and it works when I drive the car. Got the tip from a toll booth attendant. I have checked my account and when I'm towing, it charges all axles.

we do the same, do not know if is compatible with the tolls outside of Florida

bubbletop 05-09-2014 10:20 AM

A foot down from the top, close to the middle of the windshield, w/nary a problem on the regular and high speed toll readers.....at least so far!!