Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   RV Products Review (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Nova Kool RFU9000 AC/DC fridge (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30509)

azrescue 01-19-2018 06:21 PM

Nova Kool RFU9000 AC/DC fridge

4 Attachment(s)
I just got done installing a Nova Kool fridge in our bus to replace the Dometic absorbtion unit that was leaking.

In looking for a replacement, I thought about a domestic fridge but there were a few issues for us:

1) they are kinda power hogs and we boondock a lot.
2) to do it right I would need to upgrade my inverter to pure sine, and add more batteries.

After some research I found the Nova Kool compressor driven units and here is what I liked about them:

1) Marine grade with stainless steel hardware.
2) super stingy on power (5amps @ 12v DC when running)
3) small company with great support. The guy at the factory (Vancouver) picks up the phone by the third ring and has all the answers
4) flange mounted and solid
5) door latches and backup latches for high seas (or off roading in our case?)
6) easy to work on

It's a "man's" fridge. Built tough. None of this ninny BS about the law that says no one wants to see screw heads any more. The Nova Kool makes no attempt to hide it's stainless steel screws. It wears them with pride.

Very happy so far. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for in this case. Will report back if something changes.

birds_first 01-19-2018 07:04 PM

I'm glad to see someone else jump on the Nova Kool, pricey but worth every penny in my book. I will look into getting one when ours bite the dust. I only know of one other David Sytf has one in his SP that Jim Brookshire installed it a few years back. They are a nice unit.

Jim Brookshire 01-19-2018 07:22 PM

Just checked our log book. Installed RFU8220 Nova Kool it the SP in April 2010. Cost at that time was $1428 including shipping. Was very satisfied then and it is still providing good service for Dave. Worked great for boondocking, but so does my Samsung.

Clueless 01-19-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire (Post 404101)
Just checked our log book. Installed RFU8220 Nova Kool it the SP in April 2010. Cost at that time was $1428 including shipping. Was very satisfied then and it is still providing good service for Dave. Worked great for boondocking, but so does my Samsung.

Still keeping the beer cold!

konehd 01-19-2018 07:50 PM

Looking into these I notice that Dometic has a AC/DC compressor refer...

Only 8 CF, but ~$1200. Didnt check the size to see if it would replace the existing.

Bruce 01-19-2018 08:11 PM

The only problem with the Nova cool is the size. Not as big as the large Dometic or the Norcold. I am not fond of propane fridges but with modifications they actually work well. Our Dynasty has a huge Double door Amana( Whirlpool) house fridge. WE do spend time not hooked to power. The modern fridges are NOT power hogs. Lots of RV'rs with the Samsung RF18. Most modern motor homes require you to run the gennie once or twice a day. If you go to the website of any house fridge mfr they post the EPA power usage. It is annual figure. You can do the math . Calculate the daily usage and convert to 12 volt usage( include the efficiency loss) Surprise!! Does not use much power.

Jim Brookshire 01-19-2018 09:33 PM

Don't know about now, but when I was looking, the AC/DC version just added an AC to DC converter for about $150 extra. Figured since I already had batteries and a charger, I bought the only DC version. Saved some money.

The Nova Kool had more inside room than the Dometic that was in the SP.

Clueless 01-19-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce (Post 404104)
The only problem with the Nova cool is the size. Not as big as the large Dometic or the Norcold. I am not fond of propane fridges but with modifications they actually work well. Our Dynasty has a huge Double door Amana( Whirlpool) house fridge. WE do spend time not hooked to power. The modern fridges are NOT power hogs. Lots of RV'rs with the Samsung RF18. Most modern motor homes require you to run the gennie once or twice a day. If you go to the website of any house fridge mfr they post the EPA power usage. It is annual figure. You can do the math . Calculate the daily usage and convert to 12 volt usage( include the efficiency loss) Surprise!! Does not use much power.

The size hasn't been a problem for us. Like any other space, the bigger it is, the more stuff we don't need goes in to fill it. Our huge fridge at home could store a bunch of very large condiment jars. Our nova stores a bunch of smaller jars.There's just 2 of us, the family size is a waste of space.

azrescue 01-20-2018 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce (Post 404104)
If you go to the website of any house fridge mfr they post the EPA power usage. It is annual figure. You can do the math . Calculate the daily usage and convert to 12 volt usage( include the efficiency loss) Surprise!! Does not use much power.

Yea, I did a little math, and I agree that they are close (comparable size fridge and not counting loss from an inverter). The Samsung uses about double the energy, but it's double the capacity. Then again, that's trusting my math, which generally isn't a good idea.

azrescue 01-20-2018 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire (Post 404105)
Don't know about now, but when I was looking, the AC/DC version just added an AC to DC converter for about $150 extra. Figured since I already had batteries and a charger, I bought the only DC version. Saved some money.

The Nova Kool had more inside room than the Dometic that was in the SP.

Yea the guy at the factory tried to talk me out of the AC model for that reason. I went with it though because I could see myself pulling my batteries out sometime (or something along those lines) and the cost difference was less than one load of food. Seemed like cheap insurance.