Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caterpillar 3208 Solutions (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Cat 3208 fuel solenoid leaking? (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25415)

biobug 04-18-2016 09:24 PM

Cat 3208 fuel solenoid leaking?

My 3208t has fuel in the valley and I think the fuel solenoid is the problem. Even with it tight on the top plate it "wiggles" on its base if you try to rock it. I assume it should be solid. Correct?:confused:

treebob 04-18-2016 09:42 PM

Solenoid should be tight, yes. If you take it off, it should not have fuel under the solenoid. Fuel in the valley is usually a steel line clamp has rubbed through, or the throttle shaft seal. Throttle shaft seal can be fixed with fuel pump still on engine, but governor has to be removed.

Howard-James 04-18-2016 10:37 PM

john I PMed you give me a call
Jim

lucaswillemse 04-19-2016 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
John, is your fuel solenoid the two wire type or the single wire unit that relies on the ground connection via the mounting plate? The solenoid is threaded into the mounting plate and I had an experience with the threads being eroded by the electrical current for the solenoid. This made the solenoid wobble in the plate and actually started cutting the fuel to the engine giving a very scary intermittent engine miss. You can try to tighten the solenoid into the mounting plate it just threads in. On the picture of the mounting plate you can see how the threads are eroded. The two wire solenoid has a wire to ground eliminating this problem.

biobug 04-19-2016 10:10 PM

It is the newer 2 wire type. but I have a replacement coming as a result of the unit coming loose from the base. I do have diesel under the top plate so I am tearing into it to find out why.

biobug 04-20-2016 10:33 AM

:)Thank you for the responses! :)

biobug 04-26-2016 11:43 PM

With Jims help I pulled the top plate and found there was no diesel under the shut off solenoid this time. I replaced both injector seals a month back so that did work. I watched the plate after I turned on my prime pump and noticed diesel weeping out from under the top plate so my problem was gasket. I bought some 515 locktite and a new gasket following Jim advice and a new solenoid . I think that should take care of the valley puddle.

Bill Pape 04-27-2016 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biobug (Post 337815)
With Jims help I pulled the top plate and found there was no diesel under the shut off solenoid this time. I replaced both injector seals a month back so that did work. I watched the plate after I turned on my prime pump and noticed diesel weeping out from under the top plate so my problem was gasket. I bought some 515 locktite and a new gasket following Jim advice and a new solenoid . I think that should take care of the valley puddle.

I think that should be dry, maybe another lip seal hiding under there.

biobug 05-22-2016 04:16 PM

Just a follow-up.. The check valve gasket seems to the problem. I replaced the new one I had already replaced and even tightening the 2 bolts holding the check valve to 30ft lbs. it still leaked. I ended up making my own gasket out of a special Mr. Gasket material and put it back together. No leaks finally. I don't know if the check valve plate is warped or what. I did flat sand it with 400 wet or dry then 600 followed by 1300 before reinstalling. My biggest concern was getting any dirt into the pump. Laying on top of a 3208 in an SP is not comfortable (especially after back surgery) with my feet thru the drawer opening under the bed and using 3 cans of brakeclean I think it was clean . So are my lungs..:D

treebob 05-22-2016 06:08 PM

Excellent! Run it till it leaks somewhere else! lol.