Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Accident - Park Brake (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14713)

RGloverii 10-06-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoadjuster (Post 180609)
<< All those years I paid through the nose for insurance, and never made a claim, never had an accident, I say I deserve to make a claim and get my money back plus a little extra >>

I understand. But you kinda rent insurance. When a year is up, with or without a claim, it is up. Claims, or a lack of claims, from previous years have no bearing on this year.

Remember the policy is a list of what they will pay for. You will usually find wording as: "We pay for DIRECT physical damage to (the insured item). Airfare, taxi, food and other out of pocket costs are indirect damages.

Personal property lost in a vehicle are seldom covered by the vehicle policy or they will have a very small limit. In the US, homeowner's policies cover personal property used any where in the world with a limit of 10% of the amount of personal property coverage you purchased and subject to the deductible on the homeowner's policy. You may need to file a second claim for you personal property.

His personal property coverage amounts would depend on how his policy is written. He needs to specifically check with his agent, or review his coverage.

While I don't recall the specifics or dollar amounts, I know for a fact that my coverage with Progressive INCLUDES a set dollar amount for the jewelry, electronics, computers, and other belongings I have on board while we travel. Memory serve, I raised the amounts over the lowest tier, but don't have the policy in front of me to read from.

In short, I think it is unwise for any of us to advise him on exactly what is or isn't covered unless we review his policy. If we do, we are probably inadvertently feeding him misinformation.

warbucks13477 10-06-2012 06:12 PM

Klee I feel extremely sorry for your experience. I can well understand the stress you may be under but the posts you have made and the pictures you have posted will go a long way to helping others avoid what you just went thru.

Something that always has bothered me buying a coach out of state. Should you get transit license from the state where the coach is bought? What did you do? And if you get transit plates from the state where the coach was located are the drivers license restrictions you have to meet from that state or the province in Canada?

As far as the insurance on our coaches. In an accident of the magnitude you had its possible that the insurance company will investigate thru a local party. They can then quite easily tell if the park brake was set (is it still out) and if the slack adjusters were properly set by airing one up and checking it. But in either case remember on most of our coaches that running gear is over 20 years old (for a 1995 its 17 years old). Thats one of the reasons I changed all of the slack adjusters on mine to new Bendix automatics, new drums, S cams and brakes.
I would strongly advise anyone buying a used motorhome to use the vintage bird check list and go over every single part of the coach WITH the present owner and have him explain these things to you before you feel confident to drive off. Its the right thing to do for the seller.

And one more thing. Remember a BMC is not a Wanderlodge nor is it manufactured like a Wanderlodge. This is one case where you get what you pay for when new. BB marketed the BMC as a low level entry coach. But its still a very nice coach. But I still like the 1980s all steel Wanderlodges that are built like a tank, no computers and reliable with that beautiful 2 cycle Detroit Diesel that runs for ever:rolleyes: OK OK I am prejudiced.:)

davidmbrady 10-06-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warbucks13477 (Post 180627)
Remember a BMC is not a Wanderlodge nor is it manufactured like a Wanderlodge. This is one case where you get what you pay for when new. BB marketed the BMC as a low level entry coach. But its still a very nice coach. But I still like the 1980s all steel Wanderlodges that are built like a tank, no computers and reliable with that beautiful 2 cycle Detroit Diesel that runs for ever:rolleyes: OK OK I am prejudiced.:)

Tom,

You know I have a veracious appetite for things structural. Can you provide us with BMC drawings? I'm familiar with the full breed of wanderlodges, but not the BMC. Thanks for whatever you can provide.

Rob Robinson 10-06-2012 08:23 PM

I can see where this thread is going and I don't like it. It has provided excellent advice and for the most part stayed on topic but it has served its purpose. Thread is now dead. Thank you to all for your participation. Much was learned.