Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Accident - Park Brake (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14713)

Buckeye Bird 09-27-2012 11:31 AM

I think what was meant is that is was "purchased" 2 days earlier. The news just got it wrong. Rob stated he knows the owner, and that it is a BMC.

Randy Dupree 09-27-2012 11:59 AM

Someone posted the DOT handbook a few days ago.
In the hand book it shows the brake adjustment procedure,you have to check the slack adjuster travel.
And,that means you have to be under the bus with the brake OFF to check travel.
Make sure you have the wheels chocked and the jack stands in place or better yet,take it to a service center and have the brakes adjusted.

Crit Bliss 09-27-2012 12:39 PM

Randy, I usually pay around $50 to have the brakes adjusted and chassis greased, well worth it

Itchintogo 09-27-2012 01:44 PM

If it was purchased from a dealer with an unsafe brake adjustment I would not want to be that dealer. If that is the case. Truthfully we don't know all the facts here.. it is speculation. It is heart wrenching to see someone start out on a new exciting journey only to have this happen.

Maybe the brakes were or were not set BUT....brake adjustment is a fundamental problem if not properly set. In fact.... if it is found to be a brake adjustment with too much travel then this could very well have been a blessing to happen in this fashion. Better this than a motorhome full of people careening down a mountain road with no brakes headed towards others.

If your brakes are out of adjustment and the push rod has to travel farther than it is capable of then you don't have much for brakes. Parking or otherwise.

Never trust your automatic adjusters are doing their jobs. The risk is too big. Always check your slack adjusters and push rod travel to make sure they are in proper adjustment. If you don't know how to do it take it to an expert. Heckman your parking spring brakes are related to this same adjustment. The only other thing is a broken spring but there would normally be signs of that problem.

Mustang88 09-27-2012 02:37 PM

As part of daily inspection required in SK, Canada - one must check the park brake/spring brake by setting park brake and then putting in gear and gently try to pull ahead/back to check that brake is holding. The procedure is in the Air Brake Manuals (I believe each Canadian province publishes one). Easy to make yourself a checklist of what to check and what is the proper indication.

I like the tip about bleeding down the system after shutdown to ensure knob does not get bumped! Thanks

This was a good lesson and one that could have easily been me! Thanks for beening willing to share! Hope is not the end of your/their dream!

MRPutz 09-27-2012 03:52 PM

Yes.. truly a tragedy.

It's hard to believe that someone could not set the brake, get up and move around, then leave the coach and have it start rolling after all that. :confused:

I'm sure that is possible.. but not probable. I'd like to hear the rest of the story to find out how steep the area was he parked on. That will answer that questions. As stated, this could have been a poorly adjusted slack adjuster. I check mine every 4-5k miles, but they are manual, simple, and very straight forward.

I'm also having a hard time with the "mess" seen at the bottom of this valley. I've seen many school bus crashes over the years and NONE have ever separated the body from chassis.

I know it's not a conversation that the WOG wants to entertain but I do believe the older All American coaches are the strongest Wanderlodges ever made, and have government crash ratings to back that up. ;)

bubblerboy64 09-27-2012 03:56 PM

Good information Kevin, I'll bet the vast majority of us don't do what you have outlined.

davidmbrady 09-27-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtpn60 (Post 179462)
I'm also having a hard time with the "mess" seen at the bottom of this valley. I've seen many school bus crashes over the years and NONE have ever separated the body from chassis.

It is perplexing Michael. It's not what I expected to see. I'd expect it to matchbox and maybe have some portions of the house missing, but what I'm seeing looks like a clean break at floor level. :confused:

bubblerboy64 09-27-2012 04:40 PM

I makes sense to me. The heaviest part of the structure would have the momentum to twist it away from what would be the weakest. The fasteners which connect the body to the frame.

jyclegg 09-27-2012 05:03 PM

It's hard to believe that someone could not set the brake...

Well I did that this summer. Fortunately I life in flat Illinois, and the bus only rolled a little bit. And one winter, I parked with the drives on a very icy patch, set the brake, and got up, only to have the bus sliding backwards.

I can happen. When I did it this summer, I though something else bad was happening, and I got up quick to go see, and fogot to pull the brake.

I like the buzzer idea, but the existing pressure switch is wired to the ECM, and I would not want to get into that circuit, old ECM and all. Another air pressure switch could be added, but then you need another input. The ignition on, but when I did it this summer, the engine was still running. You almost need a sensor in the seat.