Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Under The Awning (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Back surgery (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32794)

4-Liberty 11-25-2018 07:01 PM

Rick, keep in mind Vancomycin is a very nephro toxic drug, drink plenty of water to wash out the metabolites. Also, can have a profoundly negative effect on your gut flora leading to c-diff a terrible form of infectious diarrhea. That happens as a result of the drug killing and changing the the normal ratios of bacteria in your gut. C-diff is always present in the gut but when it is not kept in proper numbers it becomes a big problem. Using lactobacillus and Greek yogurts with live cultures can help your gut to weather the storm as well. 80% of our immunity they are finding is mediated through the gut and what is called the microbiome.

Very important to keep that infection from entering the bone.

Curious whether the approach for your surgery was done with a limited incision approach or open.

Best to you in healing.:)

Friday1 11-25-2018 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78bbird (Post 435589)
Rick I hope all goes well and you get better soon!
I am going on 10 years when I had T12 removed and ladder bars from T9 to L3. Just this spring I went to one of the top 4 N/S in the U.S. and found out that 5 nerve roots and everything on my left side were cut to install the cage and bars. I just got back from UCSF for a temp nerve block and it looks like I will have some nerves killed soon to block the pain. Keep moving and take care of yourself!

WOW! Hope it goes good for you , Mark.

Friday1 11-25-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-Liberty (Post 435623)
Rick, keep in mind Vancomycin is a very nephro toxic drug, drink plenty of water to wash out the metabolites. Also, can have a profoundly negative effect on your gut flora leading to c-diff a terrible form of infectious diarrhea. That happens as a result of the drug killing and changing the the normal ratios of bacteria in your gut. C-diff is always present in the gut but when it is not kept in proper numbers it becomes a big problem. Using lactobacillus and Greek yogurts with live cultures can help your gut to weather the storm as well. 80% of our immunity they are finding is mediated through the gut and what is called the microbiome.

Very important to keep that infection from entering the bone.

Curious whether the approach for your surgery was done with a limited incision approach or open.

Best to you in healing.:)

I do drink a lot of water. Up every two hours at night to pee. I have yogurt every morning with old fashioned oatmeal. I think open on the incision. It is about 9" long. When the back was infected, the incision was HOT and very painful. I could feel the heat 3 inches away from my back. This surgeon has a very good rep for no problems after surgery. Somebody had to be the exception to the rule. The back just feels fatigued now from walking every day and PT exercises. Have an appointment with surgeon tomorrow. Hope he will allow me to drive, run the lawn tractor and shoot a *****. My short three item bucket list! :D

Rick in Ohio

bubblerboy64 11-26-2018 04:47 PM

Sorry to read this Rick. You go in for one problem and end up with worse. This is not all that uncommon. You were lucky to get out of there with a pulse.

You were not treated well my friend.

Friday1 12-14-2018 10:46 AM

Finally

I am out of the infusion business. I won't miss six hours a day sitting still thinking about projects stacking up in the shop. We went to see the infectious disease doc and he removed the PICC line and the nurse came yesterday to give me the release and final exam. Without the vacomycin I feel 100% better. My digestive system is getting back to normal and I feel more energy. I slept for 6.5 hours night before last. On the road to recovery.

Rick in Ohio

isp2952 12-14-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friday1 (Post 437371)
I am out of the infusion business. I won't miss six hours a day sitting still thinking about projects stacking up in the shop. We went to see the infectious disease doc and he removed the PICC line and the nurse came yesterday to give me the release and final exam. Without the vacomycin I feel 100% better. My digestive system is getting back to normal and I feel more energy. I slept for 6.5 hours night before last. On the road to recovery.

Rick in Ohio

Good news Rick. Nothing worse than feeling bad unless it is around Christmas. So, hope you enjoy your Christmas and have a Happy New Year

Randy Dupree 12-14-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friday1 (Post 437371)

Rick in Ohio

Good news Rick.
Be well.

Bill Pape 12-14-2018 01:29 PM

THanks for the update, this is better news

78bbird 12-14-2018 01:36 PM

Great news Rick!! Keep on going & looking forward to more projects. I have some I need to finish this year!

biobug 12-14-2018 02:05 PM

That is great news! Keep on healing!