Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ground Fault (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3943)

GregRP 09-06-2009 01:50 PM

Ground Fault

When attempting to connect my 1999 LXi to shore power, if the shore power is protected with a Ground Fault outlet/breaker, the ground fault immediately trips. I turned off all breakers in coach, turned off the inverters and the ground fault still trips immediately. Any ideas?

davidmbrady 09-06-2009 02:16 PM

You have a neutral to ground connection somewhere in your coach. Turn off all power sources, disconnect the house and chassis batteries, and ohm out the ground and neutral wires at any 120V receptacle. The resistance should be infinite, open circuit, if its small (a few ohms) then you have a ground to neutral short somewhere.

sanibel 09-06-2009 02:36 PM

Lots of good posts on how to sort out which circuit by pulling whites off the panel. Search for "GFCI"

iamflagman 09-06-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanibel (Post 29111)
Lots of good posts on how to sort out which circuit by pulling whites off the panel. Search for "GFCI"

Alway look down below the thread on the forum, near the bottom of the page and you will see "Similar Threads" listed sometimes, they are posted there because a key word in the question asked triggers an automatic search on that word, sometimes they are a good source for the answer, but not always, here is what is listed there;

Chassis ground question

Another ground problem?

Another ground issue

Electrical ground and neutral

GregRP 09-06-2009 03:08 PM

I turned off the Main Breakers in the load center and turned off the breakers from the inverters yet it still tripped the ground fault. It seems to me the the fault has to be between the shore power plug and the load center; therefore, disconnecting whites will not help.

I believe that I heard somewhere that the Safeline System that warns if the shore power is connected to a reverse polarity source can trip a ground fault. Is this true? If so, how can I prevent it from tripping a ground fault?

My original thought was that I could find the fault by turning on breakers one at a time until the ground fault tripped. Unfortunately, it tripped with all breakers off including the two mains.

davidmbrady 09-06-2009 03:34 PM

I don't think turning off breakers is sufficient. You have to disconnect neutral wires.

fxdwg 09-06-2009 03:50 PM

Turning off the breakers only shuts off the black wire, the neutral and ground are ALWAYS connected. You have to look further as already described.

GregRP 09-06-2009 03:50 PM

Have you tried connecting to a ground fault protected shore connection with your '02? I believe we have similar electrical systems.

sanibel 09-06-2009 03:59 PM

The circuit breaker only interrupts the black power or hot wire. You have an incorrect connection (a short) between the white wire and the green somewhere. Disconnect all 120V power. You can confirm the short by checking the ohms between the white buss bar and the ground buss bar in the breaker box. It should read infinite, but yours will be a low number. Start pulling the white wires off the bus bar (you do not need to worry about which one goes to which spot) until you get an infinity reading. Leave that one disconnected. Reconnect each white (except the last/bad one) checking after each to be sure there are not 2 problem circuits.

Now trace the bad white and find its black partner which you will then trace to a circuit breaker. Disconnect the black from the circuit breaker. It is not hot anymore Plug the bus back in to shorepower and it should be OK. Start hunting for the short on the known bad circuit. Heating elements are a known problem- block heater and pipe tapes, water heater element. There can also be a bad connection n a outlet box where the white is touching the metal box and shorting to ground.

curtsprenger 09-06-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregRP (Post 29104)
When attempting to connect my 1999 LXi to shore power, if the shore power is protected with a Ground Fault outlet/breaker, the ground fault immediately trips. I turned off all breakers in coach, turned off the inverters and the ground fault still trips immediately. Any ideas?

I'm going to assume the coach has been connected to a shore GF outlet prior to today without tripping the GF. Right? The problem might be in the shore cord male end.