Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Headlights, Taillights, and Backup Lights Upgrade (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5927)

Webmaster 01-01-2008 07:38 PM

Headlights, Taillights, and Backup Lights Upgrade

DIFFERENT MEMBERS CONTRIBUTED HOW THEY MODIFIED THE HEADLIGHTS & TAILLIGHTS & BACKUP LIGHTS, ON THEIR 'BIRDS TO MAKE THEM BRIGHTER
  • COMBINED FILE OF HEADLIGHT AND TAILLIGHT RELAY UPGRADES.pdf
    Here you will find a combined PDF file of both a two relay and a four relay headlight upgrade and a taillight relay upgrade. All of these upgrades will greatly improve the headlights and the taillights respectively on your early model 'Bird. Our thanks goes out to Curt Sprenger and John Finn for their joint contribution.
  • HEADLIGHT RELAY UPGRADE.pdf
    J Darst provided this wiring schematic he used to upgrade his headlights
  • headlite.jpg
    Headlight circuit with Bosch relays wiring diagram, thanks to Stephen Birtles
  • RelayCircuits.jpg
  • Two different wiring diagrams for relay and lights, one turning on with power and the other turning on with ground, thanks to Stephen Birtles

Dctrcarter 12-20-2010 06:59 PM

Going to start looking for my problem with my low beam lights. Have the trun singal switch off of the steering column, an found a terminal strip that is labeled low beam on the outside in the generator compartment. Hope it's a relay that I can find.

Mike Hohnstein 12-02-2011 06:17 PM

Hmm, don't see where the dimmer is wired into mix. Have two relays powering up lights but power goes through dimmer switch and it was taking 3 volts, ouch. Did a relay for the dimmer now got the real deal in blinding the oncoming traffic. Got them Hella halogen upgrade kits, wired it for 4 lites low beam and 4 high beam, stellar. Did wire in a 75a relay to power up the bulbs. I'll report when the DOT curbs me.

Coos26 05-10-2012 09:06 PM

Still looking for the fuse and relay panel for my 2001 LX. The fuse panel by the outside drivers side of the coach shows them on the diagram but those are for the LTC and there is no power cable to these fuse slots. Anyone have a panel legend for the front relay box behind the foot rest or the rear relay box about the bed headboard and to the right of the camera access panel. thanks Left and right landing light indicators come on but no lights, when you turn either switch on they both light up but still no lights. any ideas out there

Steelwheels 09-25-2013 03:45 PM

I am planning out my headlight relay upgrade and was wondering where other people have pulled power and mounted the relays. I have a 87fc.

birds_first 09-25-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelwheels (Post 225846)
I am planning out my headlight relay upgrade and was wondering where other people have pulled power and mounted the relays. I have a 87fc.

I don't think you need to do a relay upgrade on the headlights, I think it was done at the factory, at least it was on my 88.

Steelwheels 09-25-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birds_first (Post 225876)
I don't think you need to do a relay upgrade on the headlights, I think it was done at the factory, at least it was on my 88.

Thanks once again, how do I check that out to see if I already have relays ?

Rob Robinson 09-25-2013 07:58 PM

Kiki have you put a multi-meter on the headlights to see what voltage is actually getting to them?

Bill Pape 09-25-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birds_first (Post 225876)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Robinson (Post 225889)
Kiki have you put a multi-meter on the headlights to see what voltage is actually getting to them?

Yep check the voltage, relays may be located just forward of the foot pedals,
but can only be seen behind the grill & inspection panel.

Steelwheels 09-25-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pape (Post 225900)
Yep check the voltage, relays may be located just forward of the foot pedals,
but can only be seen behind the grill & inspection panel.

I'll take a look at the voltage.

I have the grill and inspection panel off, is it two relays to the left of the two PMMI boxes ? I guess I could test them (thinking out loud).