Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Facet Magnetic Clutch Fan Rebuild (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6845)

paflyboy55 06-26-2010 06:40 AM

Facet Magnetic Clutch Fan Rebuild

I haven't had a chance to search the archives yet but if anyone needs help with the Facet magnetic clutch on their cooling fan, I rebuilt mine a couple of years ago and have some good information on spare parts and proceedures. Much less expensive than going with the air clutch conversion.

iamflagman 06-26-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paflyboy55 (Post 62548)
I haven't had a chance to search the archives yet but if anyone needs help with the Facet magnetic clutch on their cooling fan, I rebuilt mine a couple of years ago and have some good information on spare parts and proceedures. Much less expensive than going with the air clutch conversion.

Jack,

I moved this post of yours over here to a new thread, so please go right ahead and post all of the information that you have right here about how you rebuilt your Facet Magnetic Clutch, to the best of my knowledge there is nothing in the archives that covers a rebuild and I'll STICK this thread so it will be easier to find in the future.

Here are some threads that touch on the Facet Magnetic Clutch Fan topic in some of the posts;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > Fan Clutch on FC

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > 3208 Fan Clutch

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > 3208 fan temp. switch

If you have any files to add please upload them as attachments and if they are too large just email them to me at iamflagman@aol.com and I'll add them to our database and then link them to this thread.

paflyboy55 07-02-2010 10:05 PM

Facet Fan Clutch Rebuild

About four years ago on the way home from an outing the fan bearing on my FC 35 let loose. We limped home and I started researching for parts and a way to repair. Earl at BB sugested an air clutch conversion which was about $800 at the time. I wasn't able to afford the conversion at the time so I tried to contact Facet. They had been sold several times and ended up as a company called SEPAC in Elmira, NY. They had the magnetic winding and bearing for the fan and clutch. I had a machinist turn out the ruined magnet and took the casing to an electric motor shop to pot (epoxy) the new winding in. I pressed the old bearing out and pressed the new one in. Put everything back together and it's been good ever since. Luckily I have a swing out radiator or the job would have been very difficult. The whole job cost me about $150.

Sepac Inc.
2000 Lake Rd
Elmira, NY 14903
607-732-2030

I don't remember the mans name there, but he will remember me because we stopped by (wife and 6 children) in our Bird 2 years ago to pick up a spare bearing just in case.

If anyone has any specific questions email me. I have a copy of the blueprints of the clutch assy.

iamflagman 07-03-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paflyboy55 (Post 63587)
About four years ago on the way home from an outing the fan bearing on my FC 35 let loose. We limped home and I started researching for parts and a way to repair. Earl at BB sugested an air clutch conversion which was about $800 at the time. I wasn't able to afford the conversion at the time so I tried to contact Facet. They had been sold several times and ended up as a company called SEPAC in Elmira, NY. They had the magnetic winding and bearing for the fan and clutch. I had a machinist turn out the ruined magnet and took the casing to an electric motor shop to pot (epoxy) the new winding in. I pressed the old bearing out and pressed the new one in. Put everything back together and it's been good ever since. Luckily I have a swing out radiator or the job would have been very difficult. The whole job cost me about $150.

Sepac Inc.
2000 Lake Rd
Elmira, NY 14903
607-732-2030

I don't remember the mans name there, but he will remember me because we stopped by (wife and 6 children) in our Bird 2 years ago to pick up a spare bearing just in case.

If anyone has any specific questions email me. I have a copy of the blueprints of the clutch assy.

Jack,

Send me a copy of the blueprints and I'll add them to our Database and link the file to this thread, send it as an attachment in an email to iamflagman@aol.com and put Facet Fan in the subject line.

Thanks again.

Bill Pape 07-03-2010 10:09 AM

Good work Jack.
Someone will need this info,

Littlebird 07-29-2010 09:46 PM

Hey Jack!

I need the whole fan assembly for my Bird. the previous owner completely screwed up the bus when he installed 2 racing fans instead of fixing the original parts. Now I have a major overheating problem and I have to get my bus back on the road. I've got an 84 FC with a Cat 3208 turbo. I'd love to get this part and get it replaced asap. The bird has been grounded too long!

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

April

paflyboy55 08-08-2010 11:13 PM

Whole Assembly?

April,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but we were in Maine for a couple of weeks.
I'm not sure which direction to steer you whit your fan problem. Luckily I only needed to rebuild mine.
Maybe, if you can find someone who did the air clutch retro fit on their bird or can somehow pick up a used BB fan that needs a rebuild. I haven't been doing any searching for used BB parts, but I'm sure someone on this forum can help with that.
Another possibility might be a fan assy. from any large truck with a Cat 3208 in a junk yard.
Anyone else have any suggestions?
Jack

Rich Johnson 07-18-2012 06:27 PM

Facet Clutch

When traveling to my son's wedding, the Facet fan decided to go south for the winter. Of course it was really summer, and the Berkshires of Massachusetts were looming on the horizon. Had to turn on all aux heating units to keep temperature down; several pull-overs also took place. Later after the wedding I bought an electric fan and tie-wrapped it onto the front end. Trip home was better as it was raining. Only problem was in traffic on NY Thruway when I had to resort to using the installed electric fan. (I now keep it as a spare - also makes a great evening time ventilator)

Later, after reviewing everything dealing with Facet, I opened up radiator only to find the wire going to power the Facet was never crimped. Not crimped properly, but just never crimped at all. All these years the connection was just by touch. Being a US build unit it must have been a Monday, or Friday job. Perhaps since it was in Georgia, it was a Tues, Wed, Thurs job as well. Did my usual "solder it solid" job and we're up and running.

Note: Oops, since the demise of US manufacturing, we are supposed to be politically correct and not bash US products like we used to do back in the 50-60's. Sorry.

ryoung 12-10-2012 11:49 PM

Facet Fan and Clutch Bearing Replacement

My facet fan was a little noisy so I decided to take it apart and rebuild anything I could. I discovered the bearing that is pressed in the clutch fan hub was bad. It is an uncommon size, 30mm x 55mm x 23. It is a Nachi 30BG05S5G-2DS. Went to get it at Canada Bearings, $95.00. Ouch. Looked high and low and could only find China bearings which I am not a fan of. This same bearing is used in a Motocraft AC pump. So I tried NAPA, and they had an SKF bearing equivalent, part number 5106-WCC. It was only $37.00. When I got it, in the box was a Nachi bearing, exact same part number as I was origionally looking for. So, moral is try NAPA. They have China bearings as well as the SKF.
I was able to replace the bearing in the magnet body, it is a 6006-2RS. That one is fairly common and easy to press in.
The bearing in the main hub with the pulleys on it is a double tappered roller, like a front spindle bearing assembly on older rear wheel drive cars. There is a spacer between the two bearings to give it the exact distance required. Mine was slightly sloppy, so I took some sandpaper and sanded both sides of the spacer until the bearing was tight and had the proper amount of play in it. All back together now. It is cold up hear right now so I have not fired up the Cat yet but everything looks and feels fine. Wanted to let anyone know about the bearing numbers if they decide to rebuild the facet fan. Personally I have not had any major issues with mine so I am going to keep it instead of replacing it with an air fan.

waddawanderer 12-11-2012 07:04 AM

facet manrtic clutch fan Rebuild

Hi Richard,

We have an 86 FC with a Facet and the part#'s are very different. I found a company named Locate Ball Bearings, they were 40% more affordable than Napa and they provided what would appear to be near original bearings and they were not China made.

What I have found quite often is BB must have changed things up quite a bit after early 80's vintages. Belts and bearings most notably are considerably different for our 86.

However, even though the nomenclature is different the assembly procedures are consistent enough to figure things out.

Good luck with your rebuild, should last a lifetime.

Merry Christmas to all.