Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Leveling Jack Stuck & Won't Retract - Need Help (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9608)

Michael 03-28-2011 12:08 AM

Leveling Jack Stuck & Won't Retract - Need Help

I am stuck at Birds at the Beach with a leveling jack in the down position. Only 1 is stuck. Several of us have tried working on it and this is what we found. When each jack switch is triggered manually by its switch you can hear a click of the solenoid, except with the one that is stuck down. Power is getting to the cable going to that unit, but the unit itself does not function. Tried switching cables, but that does not help. We could not find any valves under the step that we could use to release the jack. Anyone have any ideas or can anyone suggest who to call in the Myrtle Beach area to help us.

Michael 03-28-2011 12:33 AM

From what I have heard is that some coaches have a T-valve under the step that you just open in cases like this, but several of us looked and couldn't find one. I need to find out if there is one in another location or if there is an alternative way to make the jack retrack.

sfedeli 03-28-2011 04:16 AM

Michael- I'm not positive, but I thought that the T-handles for releasing pressure on the jacks were located above the generator fan compartment in an area directly below the driver's seat area. That's where the manifold is for my PT and I'd assume yours would be in a similar location. We can check in the morning- come over and knock when you are up. Site HH-04

Michael 03-28-2011 07:08 AM

Up now going to look in generator area. Come on by. At HH-53.

Bill Pape 03-28-2011 07:15 AM

Michael & Shane,

Check out Bill & Vadie's repair.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=5973

Michael 03-28-2011 07:31 AM

I found 4 T's in the very front right and assume this is what I want. Are they set up in a particular order from left to right? I need to raise the left rear jack. I tried turning one. They are very hard to move, but will with help of a plier. But they start leaking fluid from the small hole under each one, so it would be nice to narrow it down to a particular one.

gcyeaw 03-28-2011 08:16 AM

I am sure you and Shane will figure it out, but the T-valve that exhibits the most pressure when turned should be the one, the others should have low pressure and not squirt with significant force.

Michael 03-28-2011 08:23 AM

Thanks for everyones help. I got the jack up and were heading back down to some warmer weather.

Frank W. 03-28-2011 08:36 AM

I'm glad that got fixed....but for my own knowledge anyone have any thoughts about:

1: If all else fails, could you remove the hyd. line at the jack or other location and thus release the pressure? In the case of my FC, I have pretty good access to the lines right under the controls and they are labled also. I would be fearful of being under/near coach if releasing the line at the jack...good way to get flattened.

2: Is there any thought about NOT routinely fully extending the jacks to level the coach? I try to place something under my jacks IF i am having to fully extend the jack to level...I am concerned that running them full out stresses the jack/seals...am I worrying about nothing?

Patrick LaBreck 03-28-2011 11:12 AM

Frank,
I recently went through all the jacks on my '85 like yours. Seeing how they are built I don't think I would worry about full extension, they have pretty good mechanical stops in them. The fronts have a two piece bronze collar that runs up against a snap ring and the rears have a heavy bolt that limits stroke. They can't ever run up against a seal.

You could release the jack by breaking the supply fitting to release fluid. The springs would supply enough force to fully retract. If it were me I would use one of the extra hydraulic jacks I carry to support the coach before doing so.