Wanderlodge Owners Group

Wanderlodge Owners Group (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Time to Shine Up Those Lenses? (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21912)

Alan 02-12-2015 01:38 PM

Time to Shine Up Those Lenses?

If you need to polish up those foggy head light lenses now is a great time. The $25 kit from 3M has a $15 mail in rebate at Autozone through Feb. Mine were so frosted that you couldn't see the headlights through the lenses. It took about an hour but now they are clear, shiny bright, and as good as new.

oldmansax 02-12-2015 08:53 PM

I have all glass on mine so it is not an issue but I have read you can polish those lights out using toothpaste. Any truth to that?

TOM

iamflagman 02-12-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmansax (Post 286854)
I have all glass on mine so it is not an issue but I have read you can polish those lights out using toothpaste. Any truth to that?

TOM

Yes, I have done it to a few auto headlight lenses with success do not use gel type toothpaste, but we tried it on Mark Bragdon's Jeep and the toothpaste didn't work by hand, a kit like was mentioned where sanding is involved may be needed to fix his or replacement lenses. I used Colgate white toothpaste for years on the Plexiglas / Lexan strobe light lens on my old work van and it worked great but I used a small electric drill and buffing pad attachment, you just have to be careful not to burn the lens with too high of a RPM drill.

I do the lens polish with plain toothpaste every year on Michelle Saari's van to keep her happy when I visit them after Flywheelers, I do it by hand and it doesn't take that long to do either even with arthritic fingers.

Randy Dupree 02-12-2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamflagman (Post 286867)
Yes, I have done it to a few auto headlight lenses with success do not use gel type toothpaste, but we tried it on Mark Bragdon's Jeep and the toothpaste didn't work by hand, a kit like was mentioned where sanding is involved may be needed to fix his or replacement lenses. I used Colgate white toothpaste for years on the Plexiglas / Lexan strobe light lens on my old work van and it worked great but I used a small electric drill and buffing pad attachment, you just have to be careful not to burn the lens with too high of a RPM drill.

I do the lens polish with plain toothpaste every year on Michelle Saari's van to keep her happy when I visit them after Flywheelers, I do it by hand and it doesn't take that long to do either even with arthritic fingers.

no comment!!!

iamflagman 02-13-2015 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Dupree (Post 286873)
no comment!!!

I guess that means tooth paste won't work on the 'Birds headlights??:confused:

Bill Pape 02-13-2015 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamflagman (Post 286886)

Whose tooth brush??

Alan 02-13-2015 08:54 AM

Well . . . They won't get cavities, don't forget to floss too.

Randy Dupree 02-13-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamflagman (Post 286886)

Why yes,if you say it works,then i believe you!
I was thinking of your high speed polishing techniques!

Randy Dupree 02-13-2015 09:12 AM

years ago i polished the dash gauge lenses on an old corvette that had had an interior fire,the lenses were slightly smoke damaged,so i know it worked.
and that was in about 1973

iamflagman 02-13-2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Dupree (Post 286899)
Why yes,if you say it works,then i believe you!
I was thinking of your high speed polishing techniques!

Then you were referring to my personal magic fingers polishing machine, where I just stand there and Lay Hands (or just fingers in this case) on the lens, tremors do have their advantages at times in certain circumstances:eek::rolleyes:;)

Mark and I tried different polishing compounds on his Jeep lens and got very little results, being that they have a dome shape we thought that the crazing may be on the inside of the lens.